No announcement yet.

Destroyers - Fletcher Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Pump: Quite a detailed report there. And all right on the money. Turbulence and Cavitation is a propeller problem ever since John Fulton used an oversize Wood Screw for his steam driven propeller.

Actually, most propellers used up to the late 20th century are called SCREW propellers. However, some advancements have been made such as with the multi-bladed high slew propellers on Submarines. Variable pitch propellers are now becoming the "in thing" for faster stopping. This is especially good for Cruise ships that most already use bow thrusters for berthing and not needing to pay for tug boats.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Therefore, when the propellars on a large naval vessel are advanced to "all ahead flank" the drive train, reduction gears and bearings must be taking an absolute
      beating???

I have seen the Main Thrust Bearing (Kingsbury) data plates for the shafts aboard the Iowas, they are 49" for the inboard shafts (2&3). Lets just say their thrust load ahead rating is astronimcal as well as bearing pressure ratings. The Main Reduction gear wear is critical (this is where the steam turbines (Westinghouse) connect to the propeller shaft).

Before the Main Reduction gear you have a thrust bearing and shaft and then after that you have:

Main Reduction Gear Thrust Shaft
      Coupling
      Spring Bearing
      Line Shaft
      Spring Bearing
      Line Shaft
      Coupling
      Main Thrust Bearing
      Thrust Shaft
      Coupling
      Spring Bearing
      Thrust Shaft
      Stuffing Box
      Water Cooled Tube (passing through the hull)
      Hull
      Coupling
      Tail Shaft (Fiberglass coated)
      Strut
      Strut Bearing
      Propeller

Somewhere in that order. Thats a pretty long list of equipment (even for the shorter shafts 2&3) Then consider shafts 1&4 which are longer. When in operation alot of maintenance, oiling, greasing, cooling, aligning and timing of machinery. Enough to warrant a watch post and desk or two along the shafts in seperate compartments. And enough to warrant different timing marks on each shaft.

They must have been maintained very well for some of the mileage they have on them and being mothballed 4 times over.;)
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Dec 10,, 00:15.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        The Main Reduction gear wear is critical (this is where the steam turbines (Westinghouse) connect to the propeller shaft).
        The main steam (superheated 840-850 degrees on 600lb system) goes through the nozzle block into the high pressure turbine then through the crossover (around 450 degrees) into the low pressure turbine......

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          The main steam (superheated 840-850 degrees on 600lb system) goes through the nozzle block into the high pressure turbine then through the crossover (around 450 degrees) into the low pressure turbine......
          Yes it does, balanced on both sides of High Pressure and Low pressure Reduction pinions ( two sets before you get to the Main or Bull gear) Five burners on the Saturated side of the Boiler. Four burners on the SuperHeated side of the boiler for each unit. I see you havent forgotten your normenclature nor routing for Main Steam either Salty :cheers:
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Dec 10,, 04:23.

Comment

Yes it does, Five burners on the Saturated side of the Boiler. Four burners on the SuperHeated side of the boiler for each unit. I see you havent forgotten your normenclature nor routing for Main Steam either Salty :cheers:
            Lots and lots of time in engineering spaces. Used to love tracing out all the systems.

Comment

• With a large ship like a BB it seems there is lots of space for all of the equipment, boilers, engines, etc and it seems like it is not so cramped. When it comes to a smaller ship like a DD, there is less engineering equipment and much less space. Are the spaces packed and cramped on a DD? Can one move around easily? Must have been horrible being in a DD during WWII, in battle with the ship turning, pitching and fighting all at the same time. I've been on museum ships but for the most part they do not let you into the lower spaces.

On the Massachusetts, I did go through an engine room a few years back. They don't let you go there on the NJ yet. Was amazed at the piping and all kinds of stuff running this way and that. I tried looking for pics for a Kingsbury Main Thrust Bearing on any ship but was unable to find one on a Google search. Anyone have pics of the shaft area's on a BB?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                With a large ship like a BB it seems there is lots of space for all of the equipment, boilers, engines, etc and it seems like it is not so cramped. When it comes to a smaller ship like a DD, there is less engineering equipment and much less space. Are the spaces packed and cramped on a DD? Can one move around easily? Must have been horrible being in a DD during WWII, in battle with the ship turning, pitching and fighting all at the same time. I've been on museum ships but for the most part they do not let you into the lower spaces.

On the Massachusetts, I did go through an engine room a few years back. They don't let you go there on the NJ yet. Was amazed at the piping and all kinds of stuff running this way and that. I tried looking for pics for a Kingsbury Main Thrust Bearing on any ship but was unable to find one on a Google search. Anyone have pics of the shaft area's on a BB?
                There's pretty much the same equipment in a DD machinery space as there is in a CA's and BB's machinery spaces. That's what makes it fun..... :)

Because the machinery spaces are low in the ship, it's not as bad moving around when the ship is in rough waters. I was on a sea trial working in the machinery space and had no problems walking around normally until I got up to the first deck. There, yardbirds, sailors and officers were trying to maneuver down the passageways without staggering and bouncing off the bulkheads.

On the Gearings, there's a oval scuttle with a vertical ladder that leads to the firerooms. It's probably the same setup as the Fletchers and Sumners so that pretty much nullifies any chances of having tours to those spaces. The engine rooms have hatches with standard ladders so they're much more accessible.

The Iowas have a lot of room, plus the first time I went to the spaces I was struck by how small most of the machinery was. The turbines, SSTG's, MFP's, boilers, etc all seemed about 3/4 size of the units I worked on on the more modern ships with their 1200# systems.

I always felt that the ladders that led to "Broadway" were fairly steep compared to other ladders I've been down and preferred the ladder on the starboard side, aft of the machine shop to Broadway when I was carrying anything large. (Only fell down two ladders in 20 years, one on the Norton Sound and the other on a Knox class and both times landed on my feet. Since I probably weighed around 315# each time and carrying a large bag of material, I got lucky. )

Comment

• I tried looking for pics for a Kingsbury Main Thrust Bearing on any ship but was unable to find one on a Google search. Anyone have pics of the shaft area's on a BB?

*Not something that is normally seen nor photographed. I have many pics of Engineering and Shaft Alley however they will not be posted here on the WAB. It wouldnt be fair to those that have spent alot of time getting her ready for the publics eyes. BB fans will just have to wait until they open Engineering to the public. Soon we hope.;)

Comment

*Not something that is normally seen nor photographed. I have many pics of Engineering and Shaft Alley however they will not be posted here on the WAB. It wouldnt be fair to those that have spent alot of time getting her ready for the publics eyes. BB fans will just have to wait until they open Engineering to the public. Soon we hope.;)
                    In the shaft alleys of the Jersey, they have the "drop ceiling" overheads which cover the "Angel Hair" insulation. The Angel Hair is supposed to be long strand fiberglass, but one of the last jobs I did on the Jersey was to be part of crew that ripped out all the Angel Hair insulation from the inside of the after funnel. They made us set up the area like we were going to do a full blown asbestos abatement, which also included us being in full protection and air line respirators. Be careful doing anything which disturbs the overheads.

Comment

I tried looking for pics for a Kingsbury Main Thrust Bearing on any ship but was unable to find one on a Google search. Anyone have pics of the shaft area's on a BB?

Not insitu on a BB but this pdf shows some nice drawings of what they are like, the first page has a line drawing of something similar to what I saw on BB64 - spent an evening in shaft alley but can't find any pictures
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                        In the shaft alleys of the Jersey, they have the "drop ceiling" overheads which cover the "Angel Hair" insulation. The Angel Hair is supposed to be long strand fiberglass, but one of the last jobs I did on the Jersey was to be part of crew that ripped out all the Angel Hair insulation from the inside of the after funnel. They made us set up the area like we were going to do a full blown asbestos abatement, which also included us being in full protection and air line respirators. Be careful doing anything which disturbs the overheads.
                        Ah yes. The good ole days when asbestos hazard was overhadowed by fear of lightweight fiberglass dust getting into your lungs. The small thread-like shards were also sharp enough to try to puncture your skin and people were more worried about that and the fact it stayed in the air longer.

I recall one DD I was working on as an Apprentice (about 1956 or 57) where we had to rip out all the fiberglass insulation from the overhead of the ship's galley (on the Main Deck) to replace the rubber troughed expansion joint. Wore single pair of coveralls (no entry point between a shirt and pants), taped down the collar, wrist and ankle cuffs with masking tape. Made up some sort of hood to wear under the hardhat. If lucky to have an understandable foreman to let you go to safety supply we also wore dust masks.

The dust of the fiberglass could be blown off with a low pressure air hose. However some of the cockroaches that were in that overhead had a better grip and often found their way into your pockets.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

[B]*Not something that is normally seen nor photographed. I have many pics of Engineering and Shaft Alley however they will not be posted here on the WAB. It wouldnt be fair to those that have spent alot of time getting her ready for the publics eyes. BB fans will just have to wait until they open Engineering to the public. Soon we hope.;)
                          Shucks! What a teaser.

You give custom tours of the NJ? I'll have to see if Harry, Uncle Harry for my neighbors does. He is part of the NJ organization, maybe I can get a tour of the non-public spaces?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            Ah yes. The good ole days when asbestos hazard was overhadowed by fear of lightweight fiberglass dust getting into your lungs. The small thread-like shards were also sharp enough to try to puncture your skin and people were more worried about that and the fact it stayed in the air longer.

I recall one DD I was working on as an Apprentice (about 1956 or 57) where we had to rip out all the fiberglass insulation from the overhead of the ship's galley (on the Main Deck) to replace the rubber troughed expansion joint. Wore single pair of coveralls (no entry point between a shirt and pants), taped down the collar, wrist and ankle cuffs with masking tape. Made up some sort of hood to wear under the hardhat. If lucky to have an understandable foreman to let you go to safety supply we also wore dust masks.

The dust of the fiberglass could be blown off with a low pressure air hose. However some of the cockroaches that were in that overhead had a better grip and often found their way into your pockets.
                            Blowing down became illegal on the ships because of the dust it stirred up. It was still pretty hard to enforce, especially if someone had spent a day wielding a bayflex grinder or needlegun.

Some of the fiberglass on the BB's was/is so dense and full of actual glass, that it would go through coveralls when stripping vents.

The "Nut Buster" from Temco was used by some ship's cooks to control cockroaches. It had a fairly sweet smell but I guess the cockroaches didn't care for it. There was a sailor off the Peleliu who died from long term effects of "Huffing" the Nut Buster. Besides keeping my tools oiled up, I'd also spray Nut Buster on my Boondockers to make them waterproof on those rare days it rained out here in Southern California. Tools, shoes, but not in the lungs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                              Shucks! What a teaser.

You give custom tours of the NJ? I'll have to see if Harry, Uncle Harry for my neighbors does. He is part of the NJ organization, maybe I can get a tour of the non-public spaces?!?!
                              Sorry Ken, Harry can probably show you some places but Broadway/Engineering is off limits to all public access.

Comment

• all the rats left the navy?

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                                Blowing down became illegal on the ships because of the dust it stirred up. It was still pretty hard to enforce, especially if someone had spent a day wielding a bayflex grinder or needlegun.

Some of the fiberglass on the BB's was/is so dense and full of actual glass, that it would go through coveralls when stripping vents.

The "Nut Buster" from Temco was used by some ship's cooks to control cockroache:)s. It had a fairly sweet smell but I guess the cockroaches didn't care for it. There was a sailor off the Peleliu who died from long term effects of "Huffing" the Nut Buster. Besides keeping my tools oiled up, I'd also spray Nut Buster on my Boondockers to make them waterproof on those rare days it rained out here in Southern California. Tools, shoes, but not in the lungs.
                                Salty,

The constant reference to insects making nests (homes) deep inside the insulation makes no reference to rodents. Has the U S Navy successfully done away with mice & rats on warships?

Comment

Working...
                                X