• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• This will be an interesting one. I, for one, do not pay much attention to actors at all so I would draw a blank. I think one would need especially top notch google fu skills to find this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        This will be an interesting one. I, for one, do not pay much attention to actors at all so I would draw a blank. I think one would need especially top notch google fu skills to find this one.
        I totally agree. Normally I have liked Tom Cruise in most of his movies. Except for that one where he said his lines in the most atrocious Irish brogue I have ever heard. Heck, I can do better. But then, I am one quarter Irish. Colm Meany's accent is for real and one of the nicest guys I ever met (at a Star Trek convention).

Oh yes, I have to admit that Majel Barret stole my heart. She is MUCH better looking in person than on the flat screen and a great conversationalist.

Though I did have some fun playing a sadistic Nazi soldier one time. Aww, forget it. The movie was so bad it was never released.
        Last edited by RustyBattleship; 07 Aug 16,, 04:11.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Okay...I'll give the answer.

It's about L. Ron Hubbard.

Turn out as captain of the PC-815 in World War 2 his gun crew fired several 3-inch rounds which bypassed a target and landed in Mexican territory and landed near Mexican Naval personnel.

This website tells the whole story.

It's a site that takes down Hubbard but it is well sourced.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/warhero/coronados.htm
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Scientology, should have known. Grrrrrr......

Comment

• Awright. Nobody's come up with a question yet. So I'll give it a try.

Besides armor and guns, what do "Army" tanks have in common with "Warships"?

Hint: A cigar smoking half American and half British diplomat.

Comment

• Churchill as First Sea Lord started the committee which authorized and developed the first tanks for the British Army.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Churchill as First Sea Lord started the committee which authorized and developed the first tanks for the British Army.
                  You are very close. Now, what inspired Churchill and -- this is a bit tricky -- Nomenclature.

Comment

• Hint: You have to know a bit of Naval nomenclecture.

Comment

• Hull?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                        Hull?
                        That's one of four (at least). Also need to know "why"?

Comment

• They initially called it a water carrier to hide what it was, but were afraid that it would be shortened to WC which is water closet or toilet to the admiralty and they would be the object of ridicule. So they called it tank instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            They initially called it a water carrier to hide what it was, but were afraid that it would be shortened to WC which is water closet or toilet to the admiralty and they would be the object of ridicule. So they called it tank instead.
                            Okay, so far. But on the first tanks used in WW I the space between the tracks was taken up by the engine, leaving just enough room in the "BOW" for the driver. (Yes, "Bow" was one of the four Naval terms), But the machine gun crews (in a "Female" tank) or the cannoneers (in a "Male" tank) were housed OUTSIDE of the tracks

So, what were these compartments called?

Comment

• Tanks use nautical terms, in WW1 the areas you were talking about were sponsons, in modern tank sponsons now carry gear not crew.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                Tanks use nautical terms, in WW1 the areas you were talking about were sponsons, in modern tank sponsons now carry gear not crew.
                                Very, very good. Hull, Bow, Sponsons and finally Turret (mounted on the top "deck" like the pre-dreadnought class Battleships).

The floor is open. Unless you want to try to research what Winston Churchill saw a demonstration that influenced his recommendation to use full tracked vehicles to cross trenches instead of the "Big Wheel" vehicle.

Hint: Made in America.

Comment

Working...
                                X