X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Just saw the edit : ex-Ranger (CV-61).

So you guys are going to compete against Portland, Oregon ?
    USS Ranger Museum Foundation

Can I get link to California bid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
      Just saw the edit : ex-Ranger (CV-61).

So you guys are going to compete against Portland, Oregon ?
      Actually, Portland is somewhat supportive of our plan. The only place they would have large enough is the mouth of the Columbia River that other ships (including Super tankers) pull into for a week or so to kill off the sea water growth from foreign ports.

We had to park Missouri there for a while to kill off the Bremerton sea growth on her hull so it wouldn't adversely impact on the sea life in Pearl Harbor.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doomarias View Post
        USS Ranger Museum Foundation

Can I get link to California bid.
        We haven't put anything on the Web -- yet.
        But you can ask for info or give donations to:

Pacific Fleet Center
        2201 N. Lakewood Blvd. Ste D629
        Long Beach, CA 90805

Administrative Questions or offers of volunteer work can be addressed to Robert Kent, President PFC.

Technical questions or offers of voluntter work can be addressed to Richard Landgraff, Chief Technical Engineer.

The model ships and LBNSY plaque displays in the pictures were more for decoration.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Cool, ok shipwreck shoot.

Comment

• I'd rather see the other #61 in LB.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
              I'd rather see the other #61 in LB.
              Well, so would I. But that's out of our hands right now. The Navy still has to make a decision to turn the ship over to Historic Memorial Ships of Pacific Square now without HMSPS having enough funds, give them another extension, turn it back into Up for Donation status, sell it to a scrap dealer or designate her for SINKEX.

With the city of Vallejo officially filing for bankruptcy less than two weeks ago isn't going to help matters much. But being a "nuts and bolts" type of person rather than an adminstrator or a lawyer, I won't even give an opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                Well, so would I. But that's out of our hands right now. The Navy still has to make a decision to turn the ship over to Historic Memorial Ships of Pacific Square now without HMSPS having enough funds, give them another extension, turn it back into Up for Donation status, sell it to a scrap dealer or designate her for SINKEX.

But if the miracles happen and the old #61 becomes available, it won't help having the other #61 sitting down by the Queen Mary. I don't find anything interesting about the Ranger

Comment

Cool, ok shipwreck shoot.
                  Aside from the Iowas, which was the fastest battleship ever built ? What maximum speed did she achieve ?
                  Last edited by Shipwreck; 19 May 08,, 13:12.

Comment

• Ok, I'll take a shot. If you are going for actual BB, my answer would be the Richelieu class at 31 knots. If battlecruisers can be included my answers would be the Sharnhorst at 32 knots and then the Hood at 31.
                    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

• Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                      Ok, I'll take a shot. If you are going for actual BB, my answer would be the Richelieu class at 31 knots. If battlecruisers can be included my answers would be the Sharnhorst at 32 knots and then the Hood at 31.
                      You've got the class right. Richelieu made 32.63 knots for 30 minutes on 6/13/1940, with a peak speed of 32.80 knots. Her sister Jean Bart made 32.06 knots on 2/7/1949.

Comment

• 24 hour rule.

What is the only aircraft carrier known in history to hit an enemy ship with gunfire.

Comment

24 hour rule.

What is the only aircraft carrier known in history to hit an enemy ship with gunfire.
                          Kind of a loaded question, as a couple of the carriers in Taffy 3 likely hit some of the Japanese crusiers with their 5-inch stingers.

St Lo, Kalinin Bay and Fanshaw Bay could all fit that category, particularly Kalinin Bay
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            Kind of a loaded question, as a couple of the carriers in Taffy 3 likely hit some of the Japanese crusiers with their 5-inch stingers.

St Lo, Kalinin Bay and Fanshaw Bay could all fit that category, particularly Kalinin Bay

My uncle was an FM-2 pilot in VC-3 of the Kalinin Bay who was aloft when the action started. He attacked along with the others and rearmed on the Taffy 2 carriers. When he got back aboard the Kalinin Bay he wrote about a cermony of the ships company honoring the aft 5 inch gun crew for their gunnery and the observed confirmation of hits on Japanese hits from their 5 inch fire. My uncle had a copy of an unofficial ship's history from the war in his pesonal papers which included this event.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Albany Rifles;

Absolutely sh!t hot!

I presume you've read Last Stand of Tin Can Sailors? :)
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Albany Rifles;

Absolutely sh!t hot!

I presume you've read Last Stand of Tin Can Sailors? :)

Yup, and I got my 14 year old son an autographed copy for Christmas.

He loved it!
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X