Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will give the win to Dreadnought due to his answer being much more specific. Johnny does get honorable mention so if Dread wants to let Johnny ask the next question, that is fine by me.
    Last edited by maximusslade; 07 May 08,, 18:20.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

• Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
      I will give the win to Dreadnought due to his answer being much more specific. Johnny does get honorable mention so if Dread wants to let Johnny ask the next question, that is fine by me.
      I will yield to a new comer and a fellow BB'r.:)

P.S. So long as he does it "smartly";)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Blown up to fool the Russians.
        Blown up how? (Be specific ;) )
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Sheesh, it's been a decade since I read the book. All I recall is that there were cells on board that filled the boat with gas and then said gas was ignited. I am probably way off.

Comment

Sheesh, it's been a decade since I read the book. All I recall is that there were cells on board that filled the boat with gas and then said gas was ignited. I am probably way off.
            You're pretty well on the right track. Fuel Air Explosive (FAE) bombs were put on board to blow the ship up. Being an ICBM sub, portions lying on the bottom would be mistakingly identified as the Red October.

The American research sub carrying the Russian inspectors had a dial face from the Red October hidden in its framework. The operator faked seeing something shiney and while backing the sub up dropped the dial face into the artifact basket. Inspection of the dial face and its serial number convinced the Russians that the Red October had been blown up.

The way an FAE bomb works is using a small explosive to throw out a cloud of gasoline in a mist. Then an ignition explosive sets off the mist of gasoline vapor and can be more devastation than a WW II 500 lb General Purpose bomb.

Lately the Russians have been bragging about developing an aerial bomb that works like that. However, we've had ours in inventory since the 1960's.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              I will yield to a new comer and a fellow BB'r.:)

P.S. So long as he does it "smartly";)
              :)

Ok, a Battleship related question then. In September of 1942, Vice Admiral Willis A Lee assumed command of Battleship division 6 and broke out his flag on USS Washington BB56, in part due to the death of his predecessor a few months earlier. His predecessor, Admiral Wilcox died while in Command of Battleship Division 6. What were the unusual circumstances of Admiral Wilcox's death?

I didn't check all of the previously posted questions, so my apologies if this one has already been covered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny W View Post

Ok, a Battleship related question then. In September of 1942, Vice Admiral Willis A Lee assumed command of Battleship division 6 and broke out his flag on USS Washington BB56, in part due to the death of his predecessor a few months earlier. His predecessor, Admiral Wilcox died while in Command of Battleship Division 6. What were the unusual circumstances of Admiral Wilcox's death?

I didn't check all of the previously posted questions, so my apologies if this one has already been covered.
                Off the top of my head, I believe he was lost overboard from BB56 Washington while in transit. I believe I read somewhere that his body was spotted floating face down however the nearby destroyer that searched for him failed to recover his body. Some stated it was possible he suffered a heart attach while walking the deck. From a report I read foul play was not considered at that time.

I admired Lee and his style and only wished his battlegroup would have found suitable advesary during Leyte such as he did at Savo.
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 08 May 08,, 15:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny W View Post

He died either by heart attack or by suicide...the end result was he fell overboard and was never recovered
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Off the top of my head, I believe he was lost overboard from BB56 Washington while in transit. I believe I read somewhere that his body was spotted floating face down however the nearby destroyer that searched for him failed to recover his body. Some stated it was possible he suffered a heart attach while walking the deck. From a report I read foul play was not considered at that time.

I admired Lee and his style and only wished his battlegroup would have found suitable advesary during Leyte.

To easy I guess. :)) Suicide was also considered a possibility but other than that, you are correct.

I also wonder what would have happened had Lee met up with Kurita. The American battleships would likely have won due to a advantage in numbers and supporting assets, but I am not sure I wish for it because there might have been quite a few more casualties, especially if the Yamato's big guns had found one of the smaller battleships of the South Dakota class or the Washington.

Comment

• Since no one has posted in two weeks, I am going to bring one over from the history quiz section to see if anyone get's it.

Here might be an interesting one.... What US warship class had a preliminary design scheme that, if built, would have ended up resembling the HMS Rodney?

Comment

• http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/batt...s/usa/m7-2.jpg

How about the Arkansas class of seagoing monitors.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/batt...s/usa/m7-2.jpg

How about the Arkansas class of seagoing monitors.
                          Is the link restricted?

Forbidden
                          You don't have permission to access /navhist/battleships/images/usa/m7-2.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at Haze Gray & Underway - Naval History and Photography Port 80
                          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                            Is the link restricted?
                            That's wierd...never happened before.

Here is the pic

Attached Files
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Also, the North Carolina class were considered for that design to meet the requirements of the Washington Treaty but the idea was scrapped on the drawing board.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• A question for those familiar with the USN and probably RN engineering systems aboard ship.

On the (conventional powered or steam powered) Cruisers and Battleships of WWII there are/were water desalination plants for the production of clean water for the ship. It has many uses (cooking,cleaning,showering, firefighting etc.)

The question is what is the two most important purposes for the treated (beyond normal clean) water?

Hint its not for the purposes listed above.;)

Comment

Working...
                                X