No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to MARAD Reserve Fleet Listing from July 2014, Northern Light (T-AK-284), Wyman (AGS 34), and Shoshone (T-AO151) are still listed on their books, but in Brownsville, Tx.

I thought once the recycle companies took possession of the vessels, they ships were taken off the list. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Archdude View Post
      According to MARAD Reserve Fleet Listing from July 2014, Northern Light (T-AK-284), Wyman (AGS 34), and Shoshone (T-AO151) are still listed on their books, but in Brownsville, Tx.

I thought once the recycle companies took possession of the vessels, they ships were taken off the list. Can anyone clarify this for me?
      Ships are removed from the inventory when they are no longer owned by MARAD. Those 3 ships weren't sold. They were contracted to ESCO Marine to dismantle them. (MARAD is paying ESCO, but still holds the title) Since they are still owned by MARAD until completely dismantled, they are still carried on the inventory. This was likely because Wyman and Northern Lights were small and had long expensive tows, so they didn't generate much revenue. Shoshone was probably a "bonus" for taking the other two.. (AKA: spread our the costs of scrapping the first two across all 3 and providing a revenue generating ship to scrap)

Comment

• Use car sales .....

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
        Ships are removed from the inventory when they are no longer owned by MARAD. Those 3 ships weren't sold. They were contracted to ESCO Marine to dismantle them. (MARAD is paying ESCO, but still holds the title) Since they are still owned by MARAD until completely dismantled, they are still carried on the inventory. This was likely because Wyman and Northern Lights were small and had long expensive tows, so they didn't generate much revenue. Shoshone was probably a "bonus" for taking the other two.. (AKA: spread our the costs of scrapping the first two across all 3 and providing a revenue generating ship to scrap)
        Similar principle use with use car sales ...... iron is iron ! :Zzzzzz:

Comment

• Another example of this will likely be the 2 Bouy Tenders in Suisun Bay. Marad is going to have to pay someone (a lot) to take them. There is no economical way to scrap those 2 because they are so small and are WW2 construction, so will likely have plenty of hazardous waste for their size.

Comment

• So, have these 3 ships been completely dismantled?

Also, I just read on the Sept 2014 NAVSEA Inactive ship lists that the 6 mine-hunters (in TX) were removed from the Navy lists; where they in fact dismantled and if so, where?

Comment

So, have these 3 ships been completely dismantled?

Also, I just read on the Sept 2014 NAVSEA Inactive ship lists that the 6 mine-hunters (in TX) were removed from the Navy lists; where they in fact dismantled and if so, where?
              The mine hunters have been sold to New York Moving and Transport for scrapping at Port Arthur, Texas. The first two (Kingfisher and Cormorant) were removed from the BRF at the end of July. The others have probably followed by now.

The Shoshone, etc are being scrapped at ESCO. They will be removed individually from the fleet list as scrapping is completed. The monthly lists from MARAD will give the dates as and when. As previously stated this is because they were contracted for recycling not sold to a shipbreaker. No yard offered to buy them when they were advertised. Just not profitable.

The USCG 180' buoy tenders at SBRF fall into that category as well. But they are custody ships and not MARAD's problem as such. There was supposed to be an MOA between the CG and MARAD to scrap cutters, but none is listed on the most recent lists and the agreement is "pending." The ex USCG Cactus was seized under the derelict vessel progam in Washington and broken up near Seattle (by Foss??), however, so there may be an alternative to towing to Brownsville.

Comment

• Just learned that Stabbert Ship and Yacht broke up the Cactus.

Comment

• Constellation has taken on an 8-degree list during the tow: index

Comment

So, have these 3 ships been completely dismantled?

The latest image on Terraserver is dated August 4th. It appears that Northern Lights is in the western scrapping slip being drug up the ramp and final cutting going on around the engine room. What appears to be Wyman is right behind her with her bow mostly gone. There's no sign of Shoshone. Cape John is just outside the western slip and Sirius is about a ships length from the slip astern of Cape John, just outside the eastern slip. If you flip it to May 31st. You will see the last of Shoshone in the eastern slip. It's probably safe to say that all 3 are dismantled by now, but Marad hasn't caught up yet.

TerraServer - Aerial Photos & Satellite Images - The Leader In Online Imagery

Comment

• Here's another nugget.

The Unofficial Bid Abstract for IFB-14-0239:

This is for the sale for scrapping of 6 Navy Warships

ex-Thomas S Gates (CG-51)
                      ex-Forrest Sherman (DD-931)
                      ex-George Philip (FFG-12)
                      ex-Sides (FFG-14)
                      ex-Jarrett (FFG-33)
                      ex-Doyle (FFG-39)

Unofficial Bid Abstract for IFB 14- 0239
                      BOD: September 26, 2014 -- 1:00PM EDT
                      Bidder # Bidder Name Bid Amount

1 ESCO MARINE INC $900,000
                      2 SOUTHERN RECYCLING, LLC $52,888
                      3 BB METALS ENTERPRISES, INC $3,102,940
                      4 INTERNATIONAL SHIPBREAKING LIMITED RESPONDED: NO BID

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.m...%2014-0239.pdf

BB Metals Enterprises is located in Baltimore, at the former Sparrows Point Shipyard. They've previously cut up Range Sentinel (AGM-22). That means the 3 Bremerton based FFG's have a longer tow than if they went to Texas. The IFB also indicated that multi-ship tows were unacceptable. Initally, Ticonderoga (CG-47) was to be the 6th ship on the IFB, instead of Doyle, but for some reason, they took her off and put Doyle there instead.
                      Last edited by ChrisV71; 06 Oct 14,, 18:56.

Comment

• Bummer about the Sherman......over 30 years from decommissioning, only to have the torch finally catch up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel_B View Post
                          Constellation has taken on an 8-degree list during the tow: index
                          The ship is under tow again and departed Valparaiso Bay on 10/19; eta PUNTA ARENAS 11-05-2014

Comment

• Connie is listing? ...

Coincidence that the USS Turner Joy museum deck has CV-64 remembered....
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                              Bummer about the Sherman......over 30 years from decommissioning, only to have the torch finally catch up.
                              I would have thought she would have been available for donation. Bummer.

Did they find out why the Connie was taking on water?
                              RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                                I would have thought she would have been available for donation.
                                Sherman was on donation hold for a long time. The group trying to get her never got an acceptable pier or enough funds to make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X