No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarding party headed to Wichita. Iowa's deck, the bad and the good.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Current shots of her aft deck
      Attached Files

Comment

• A few last shots of the two dozen
        Attached Files

Comment

• The Witch and what we were after, coffee makers. Short visit and we leave for Sperry.
          Attached Files

Comment

• At the Sperry we are taking her complete phone system to replace the one in the Hornet that was stolen by a volunteer between 1998-99. Yes, we have had some volunteers who have helped themselves to items on the ship. Our phone system was intact, on 6th deck, yet somehow a person removed it piecemeal over a couple of years. When it was time to work on it, as other parts of the ship had priority, much of the switching equipment was now missing. Nothing new as recently one of my personal Navy blankets, in the Captain's at Sea Cabin was stolen, and so I had to remove my other two to the safety of my home.

So we grabbed an 800lb. generator which the Navy removed. Next is all the switches we need and then the lift. Still left if the switchboard and then clearing out the phone system on the Nereus.
            Attached Files

Comment

• tbm3fan THANK YOu for this wonderful update. I wonder if there are any combatants left other than the USS IOWA there in Suisun Bay? It appears they are mostly support ships.

PinkHardHat Amy your photography is just breath taking. THANK YOu for sharing your albums! They are superb.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                I said "Large" berths, not "small" berths...
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Great stuff, guys!

Here's a video of SOLON TURMAN arrving at Mare Island.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    Ah, you catch my 887' drift? Also it is complete with all hookups and infrastructure all ready in place. All you need to do is just drive in...

Comment

• Here is a 11 minute video, by the PBS Channel 9, back in 2008 about the SBRF

YouTube - Ghost Fleet - KQED QUEST

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Ah, you catch my 887' drift? Also it is complete with all hookups and infrastructure all ready in place. All you need to do is just drive in...
                        tbm, what were those ships that are usually docked there? I think one of the docents on the Hornet last year told me they're off-shore refueling ships.
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Nice shots of Iowa. She seems to be holding up nicely minus a few rough spots in the deck.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Nice shots of Iowa. She seems to be holding up nicely minus a few rough spots in the deck.
                            Over all she is looking good by my trained eye. Her first advantage is that she does not have many coats of paint on her which is the downfall of many of the ships out here. Her biggest issue, as with any ship standing still, is water accumulating in flat areas with no drainage. Without the constant movement of a ship, like rolling in the ocean, the water cannot find an exit. So those places rust away. Gutters, stuffing tubes and so forth. The areas one sees that look nice and gray were painted in 2005. They did a good job as those areas were cleaned of all loose paint and surface contamination. The chalky areas are her last paint job but they are firmly adhered to the substrate.

It is obvious that her whole deck may need to be replaced which is a very big expense. Her entire superstructure will need to be redone which also won't be cheap by any means. As an example, the SS Red Oak Victory had a $1 million dollar contract to do her entire superstructure and she is a small ship. I saw it being done and it was a beautiful job. Paint stripped to bare metal, the metal treated with rust killer, a clear coat applied over that and then her gray paint. The whole ship is one uniform layer of paint. Absolutely beautiful! I hate seeing multiple layers of paint under a new coat which is why I hand scrape every area I work on as close to bare steel as possible. A rough guess would be around $13-17 million to do this work including cutting out rust.

The deck picture below is the same area that was posted above only from August 2009.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by PinkHardHat View Post
                              Hi everyone. tbm3fan pointed me to this site when we were out at the SBRF today, so I thought I'd check it out. There's tons of great resources and information here.

Thought I'd share some of the photos I've taken of the ships:
                              U.S.S. Holland
                              U.S.N.S. General Edwin D Patrick
                              U.S.S. Kawishiwi
                              U.S.S. Hassayampa
                              U.S.S. Mispillion
                              U.S.N.S. Northern Light
                              U.S.S. Iowa
                              Sea Shadow

Mothball / Reserve Fleet - a set on Flickr
                              Wonderful work, thank you for sharing
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• The Tug Scorpius with the USNS H. H. HESS in tow arrived at Balboa on the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal on Saturday. She should transit today (Mon. 2/14) or tomorrow. Will try and get some webcam grabs of her in the Miraflores Locks.

Comment

Working...
                                X