No announcement yet.

Somali piracy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter what may have been wrong in that ship, had it been radiation then the radiation would have spread and it would have affected the crew also.

Therefore, what caused it, is still in the speculation arena.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
      The truth can be stranger than fiction.
      Finally watched that movie a couple nights ago.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by pate View Post
        Sounds like radiation sickness to me...
        That, or any sort of chemical that preferentially kills fast dividing cells, a la chemotherapy. Same basic symptoms for both.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• I have an idea, why don't the Russians and Americans try all their new weapons on the Pirates? Like, whenever they see them, lock and load the missiles or whatever tarpoons lol and just blow them dham somalian pirates out of the sea

Idiots, they really think they're Johnny Dep n Co.

Comment

• ICC Commercial Crime Services
            Piracy attacks map

It does happen quite alot. Barely ever makes the news here.
            Last edited by JamesCash; 29 Sep 08,, 11:00.
            Knowledge is annoying
            -K. Pilkington

Comment

• Dam Pirates are melting the ice caps! Threatening Polare Bears!

As the crew are not ill and the pirates are the chances are it's something they are eating or drinking.

Comment

• Mystery surrounds hijacked Iranian ship - The Long War Journal

I see the ship remains off shore. If it was Radiation sickness, and have pirates the technology to test for radiation? they would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  As the crew are not ill and the pirates are the chances are it's something they are eating or drinking.
                  Given the fact that crew is not sick, my opinion is same as yours, either that or perhaps some disease caused by recessive inherited conditions, so only natives get affected by it.
                  When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• The US Navy (and the French) are sitting off the coast of Eyl, and that ship isn't going anywhere once released, it will be siezed once it gets to sea. The specific clauses that have been approved in both the UN and in Congress would allow the US Navy to sieze the ship under the suspecion clause. The claims that there are weapons onboard, and the possibility there might be chemical weapons, will insure there is at minimum an inspection of the ship.

And that should have the US Navy worried a bit. If there are chemical weapons onboard, which is the least likely scenario but the prevailing rumor, what is to stop Iran from sending one of its Kilo class submarines down to put several torpedos into the hull? We know the hostages have been moved off the ship, that is standard operating procedure now thanks to the French, who will perform a rescue operation anyway.

This is a very strange story worth keeping an eye on. It is unlike pirates to say no to a $2 million ransom, which they apparently did. It is very odd to see an Iranian press report that suggests the US is offering $7 million for the ship, but apparently that wasn't denied when questions were asked of US officials by The Long War Journal. This might turn out to be a whole lot of nothing, but when it comes to Somalia, anything can happen.

Comment

• There is also a chance that someone has been dumping toxic waste in Africa or near African shores, a place as turmoiled like somalia with no one protecting its waters will be perfect for exploiting (well till we know something, there is a chance that this could be anything under the sun).

I think godzilla coming out of the ocean after being disturbed by a fishing crew doing some illegal fishing near Somalia, will be a good clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Equalizert View Post
                        But what is done to get the tanks back ?

-Equalizer T-
                        Thats a pretty easy answer. They claim they will die instead of giving up the ship, well lets indulge them. Well since she has ammo aboard i'm pretty certain a jdam would send her to the bottom pretty quickly. Pirates and all. Let the host, whos armament was aboard worry about recouping the losses. There is no way they will allow them to unload any of the tanks. One a futher note they dont have the equipment necessary to unload them so pretty much shes a sittiing duck with a huge 4 country bulls eye on her.;)
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by McFire View Post
                          Perhaps it was some of that bad Chinese milk that got diverted there instead of the US. :))

Comment

• Realistically will anyone attack this ship?

I mean you cant just out right sink the thing, it would kill the crew! And I cant see the Ukrainian's attempting a rescue (if thay even have the ability to do so).

Comment

• If its waste, then I'm not surprised. The rich world countries are dumping waste in countries where they can sneak in easily incld India.

Household waste from UK dumped in India: Report - Express India
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

• The whole problem with Iran sending a Kilo attempting to sink her wont destroy the radiation nor reading if taken on the ship. It would be foolish to fire a torpedo when you have warships around in the area. They are going to know well ahaead of time that shes there. The BIG problem will be if shes found to contain chemical weapons. Then Iran has a MAJOR problem and one she wont be backpedalling out of.;)

Can you say egg to the face of the UNSC?
                                Can you say egg to the face of the the Soviets that have been helping Iran. I dont think the Soviets want anything to do with bad publicity and Iran if this story turns out to be true.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X