Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South African Gripen Makes its Debut

http://www.gripen.com/articles/5.1c1...5f8000601.html ->photos

The aircraft, which will be the first of 28 Gripens delivered into South African Air Force service from 2008, will now be prepared for a rigorous and thorough flight test programme to integrate South Africa’s customized avionics and mission systems.

Speaking, on behalf of the South African Government, at the roll-out ceremony in Linkoping, Sweden, South Africa’s Minister for Public Enterprises, Alec Erwin, highlighted the strategic significance of South Africa’s Gripen acquisition and its role as a catalyst for broad industrial, trade and economic development in South Africa.

Sweden’s Minister of Defense, Mrs Leni **örklund, said Sweden would continue to further develop its already strong strategic political, defence, industrial and economic links between Sweden and South Africa:
    “The relations between our two countries can only be described as excellent. I would like to take this opportunity to underline and manifest the Swedish Government’s desire to further develop and expand these much-appreciated relations.” Mrs. **örklund said.

Underlining this sentiment, Saab CEO, Mr. Åke Svensson, described the significance of the Gripen programme in establishing South Africa as Saab’s second home-market.
    Underpinning its commitment to South Africa, Saab has invested in several businesses, including its major investment in Grintek, the South African advanced technology group.
    “Saab is now a proudly South African company employing around 1.300 of the best technical and marketing brains within Saab Grintek, in which we own a 70% stake” he explained.

Chief of the South African Air Force (SAAF), Lt-Gen Carlo Gagiano, said the Gripen programme was an icon for transformation and modernisation in the SAAF and would strengthen South Africa’s contribution to peace and security in Africa. He also expressed his delight with the progress of the Gripen programme.
    “In an industry notorious for sliding deadlines, Saab has been able to roll out this specific aircraft well ahead of the original schedule. I congratulate you to this achievement!” he said.
    >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

While I have nothing against the SAAB Gripen, this transaction was probably not money well spent when one considers the security climate at that end of the continent.
    Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Originally posted by Swift Sword
      While I have nothing against the SAAB Gripen, this transaction was probably not money well spent when one considers the security climate at that end of the continent.

Why shouldn't the Gripen be a good solution? The SAAF needed a modernisation and the Gripen is inexpensive and very cost-effective. Therefore it's very good aircraft on the newest NATO standard and the most capable fighter on the african continent. And air policing is very important for such a big country if you meant the money should have been spent for solving some social problems down there.

P.S: particularly with regard to the economic considerations (ca.7-8billion$ as far as I remember) it was a very good deal.
      Last edited by JG73; 01 Nov 05,, 18:59.
      >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
        Why shouldn't the Gripen be a good solution? The SAAF needed a modernisation and the Gripen is inexpensive and very cost-effective. Therefore it's very good aircraft on the newest NATO standard and the most capable fighter on the african continent. And air policing is very important for such a big country if you meant the money should have been spent for solving some social problems down there.

P.S: particularly with regard to the economic considerations (ca.7-8billion$ as far as I remember) it was a very good deal.
        The Gripen is not a bad solution but condoms and AIDS education would do more for South African security

Seriously, though, you are correct that the SAAF could use modernization.

I am not an aircraft expert, but I think that:

Though the Gripen is a nice aircraft, the neighboring air forces are pretty slim pickings in the threat department. One of them has no air force to speak of as near as I can tell, another can muster a few old F5s and helicopters and yet another has some Chinese MIG21 variants.

I would think that CAS and ground interdiction would be very important given South Africa's military history.

Were I the SAAF, I would have taken a close look at upgrading the existing Hawk aircraft fleet and procuring a number of new Hawk 200s. Too, IIRC, the Hawk 200 can take the AMRAAM and other medium range missles which might be attractive if the threat horizon changes.

By building on the legacy system, all costs are driven down and pilot training is not so much of an issue.

Alternatively, one could of purchase one squadron of Gripens and put the rest of the money into the Hawk system and Hawk 200 or one could have looked at reurbed F16C aircraft (Block 50?) in various numbers as well. Their are MIG and Sukhoi products that would have fit the bill, but costs over the lifecycle would probably have been higher.
        Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

The Gripen is not a bad solution but condoms and AIDS education would do more for South African security

Like I said before: The contract is linked with an extensive offset package which includes the production of Gripen subsystems by the South African aircraft industry as well as transfer of technology and export support for the South African industry. All in all South Africa will make about 200% profit. Moreover SA is involved in a high technologie platform, which will create jobs and will support innovation. Long-term this will disburse to whole SA if they know how to use the trickle down effect.

Though the Gripen is a nice aircraft, the neighboring air forces are pretty slim pickings in the threat department. One of them has no air force to speak of as near as I can tell, another can muster a few old F5s and helicopters and yet another has some Chinese MIG21 variants.
          Zimbabwe ordered 14 new MiG-29s and Botswana also ownes some MiG-29s.
          Although they aren't a military threat for SA, that's right. But even if there's no aggressor you need a capable air policy. Swiss experts for example concluded that they need at least 33.7 new fighter jets in 2011 to do air policing effectivly. Actually 28 is to few because SA is a much bigger country than switzerland. And the old Mirages/Cheetahs don't correspond to the today's requirements. The Hawk is more a trainer than a real fighter jet (SA ordered 24 new ones).

...or one could have looked at reurbed F16C aircraft (Block 50?) in various numbers as well.
          With the Gripen SA now has an aicraft which will serve for the next 40 years. The F-16 production is stopping during the next 10-15 years after that it get's difficult to get spare parts and technical support(No more softwareupdates) and there would have to be bought another fighter. Moreover the Gripen is much more inexpensive than the newest F-16Cs. Greece for example would have to pay about 70mio€ for F-16 Block 52+ per unit!

Their are MIG and Sukhoi products that would have fit the bill, but costs over the lifecycle would probably have been higher.

That's the point. It's no wonder that the german AF donated their MiG-29s to Poland. Only nations in those work time is cheap can afford russian products.
          >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Working...
          X