X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say the F117 its a strike AC.

Comment

Apart from ground based fighting, tactical reconnaissance, and multirole - Tornado had massive cannon power better than the rest of the lot, hence my vote. It's cluster bomb pods were the biggest any fighter could carry.
      Last edited by Captain Drunk; 04 May 06,, 03:22.

Comment

F117 is the most surviveable strike fighter hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Drunk
          Apart from ground based fighting, tactical reconnaissance, and multirole - Tornado had massive cannon power better than the rest of the lot, hence my vote. It's cluster bomb pods were the biggest any fighter could carry.
          The A-10's Gau-8 cannon was a better cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePlisken
            The A-10's Gau-8 cannon was a better cannon.
            Of course it is, it's bigger than a VW beatle

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
              Of course it is, it's bigger than a VW beatle

It most certainly is... :)

Comment

I was actually basing my assertion on the very same picture, I just couldn't be bothered posting it.

Comment

Now when Su-34 is in service (first 4 aircraft are in Army) I would vote for it. Read an article recently and loved the machine.

Su-34 has maximum range of 4,000km with internal fuel - something close to strategic Tu-22M.... it has standard 30mm cannon with 180 shells. This Bomber Flanker can carry up to 8-tons of precision stricking load a, it can defend itself from interceptors with its PESA Leninets radar, which has electronic and mechanic streering, and 2 R-73 and R-77 missiles. I can fly supersonic at altitude of just 100m automatically using terrain scanning radar. Its cockpit is large enough for pilits to be there more than 10 hours. I guess this is a unique asset so far......

ps. the cockpit is large as in a strategic bomber allowing pilots to stand and to lay down.
                  Last edited by Garry; 04 May 06,, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
                    Now when Su-34 is in service (first 4 aircraft are in Army) I would vote for it. Read an article recently and loved the machine.

Su-34 has maximum range of 4,000km with internal fuel - something close to strategic Tu-22M.... it has standard 30mm cannon with 180 shells. This Bomber Flanker can carry up to 8-tons of precision stricking load a, it can defend itself from interceptors with its PESA Leninets radar, which has electronic and mechanic streering, and 2 R-73 and R-77 missiles. I can fly supersonic at altitude of just 100m automatically using terrain scanning radar. Its cockpit is large enough for pilits to be there more than 10 hours. I guess this is a unique asset so far......

ps. the cockpit is large as in a strategic bomber allowing pilots to stand and to lay down.
                    Its maximum combat radius with normal combat load on internal fuel is 600 kilometers.
                    Its maximum combat radius with limited combat load with external tanks is 1,130 kilometers.
                    Its maximum ferry range at altitude in a clean configuration (non combat effective) with external tanks is 4,500 kilometers.

The external tanks take up 3 of the heavy hardpoints. It has a maxium take off load weight of up to 8 metric tons not including external fuel.

Its still a good bird, but its definately a medium range light bomber.
                    Last edited by canoe; 04 May 06,, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
                      Its maximum combat radius with normal combat load on internal fuel is 600 kilometers.
                      Its maximum combat radius with limited combat load with external tanks is 1,130 kilometers.
                      Its maximum ferry range at altitude in a clean configuration (non combat effective) with external tanks is 4,500 kilometers.

The external tanks take up 3 of the heavy hardpoints. It has a maxium take off load weight of up to 8 metric tons not including external fuel.

Its still a good bird, but its definately a medium range light bomber.
                      OK. I just reposted from the newspaper article. It may be wrong!
                      I don't have much information on it but will try to read more when get some time. So far I like it.

Am I right if I divide the combat RANGE by two to get estimation of combat RADIUS? In your figure it is actually by more than 2!

Comment

So it is in nearly all ways inferior to the F-15E(let alone K or SG or even the old F-111F or FB-111A), yet in your world it's the Best, eh?

LOL......wow.

F-15SG: AESA radar, 12 ton max bombload(24k lbs), 62k lbs thrust and a max gross weight P/W ratio of 0.77:1!!!!!

In a real world operational AAW configuration(call it 60k pounds), with a full AAM load(4 AIM120, 4 AIM9x, 3 600gal tanks, and 3/4 internal fuel) it has a PW ratio of about 1.03:1!!!!

PS: That 4000km range is one way self-ferrying range, that IS NOT a combat range figure.
                        Last edited by Bill; 04 May 06,, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          PS: That 4000km range is one way self-ferrying range, that IS NOT a combat range figure.
                          And the SR-71 without carrying any combat missiles had a combat range of only 1,400 km more, being 2,900 nm (5,400 km), hardly intercontinental

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Drunk
                            And the SR-71 without carrying any combat missiles had a combat range of only 1,400 km more, being 2,900 nm (5,400 km), hardly intercontinental
                            This is an accurate observation.

Now......compare the USAF tanker fleet with that of the Soviet Union.

The USAF fleet of the cold war era is what.....literally 1000% larger?

Comment

That 2,900nm is with a 10% reserve.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

OK. I just reposted from the newspaper article. It may be wrong!
                                I don't have much information on it but will try to read more when get some time. So far I like it.

Am I right if I divide the combat RANGE by two to get estimation of combat RADIUS? In your figure it is actually by more than 2!
                                The combat ranges stated reflect the added weight and drag of external weapon stores. It also reflects that given the aircraft is designated for strike it will not be flying at optimal altitiude to conserve fuel. Aircraft flying at low altitude burn alot more fuel. The combat radius is generally the distance from its airfield that the aircraft can engage in combat action while still having enough fuel to get home.
                                Last edited by canoe; 04 May 06,, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X