Last "new" Phantom delivered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last "new" Phantom delivered

A few months ago, the first New QF-16 was delivered to Tyndall AFB.

On 19 Nov the last new QF-4 was delivered.

Last 'new' Phantom returns to service

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- The 82nd Aerial Target Squadron received the last of the "new" QF-4 aerial targets Nov. 19 as the Vietnam-era aircraft landed here.

The QF-4, Aircraft 68-0599, spent more than 20 years in the Air Force "Boneyard" at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. before being brought back to life for one last mission.

"It is bittersweet to receive the last QF-4," said Lt. Col. Ryan Inman, 82nd ATRS commander. "This aircraft has served the Air Force and the nation so well for so long. It is truly the end of an era."

The supersonic, reusable QF-4 provides a realistic full-scale target for air-to-air weapons system evaluation, development and testing. The 82nd ATRS will eventually launch the QF-4 on an unmanned flight where it will act as a target for a modern piloted jet. That last mission will provide vital data to American and allied forces.

Since the QF-4 replaced the QF-106 in 1998, more than 300 of the idle planes found a new purpose to continue to serve the Defense Department.

The Phantoms began returning to work after the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group reinstalled the parts to the aircrafts making them serviceable again, according to an April article from the Davis Monthan AFB website.

The next step involved contractors BAE Systems converting the F-4 to the QF-4, which would be flown remotely by highly trained civil service pilots with an average of 4,000 flight hours.

Jeff Percy, BAE Systems director of flight operations, has delivered close to 50 QF-4s in the last four years.

"It is a great flying airplane," Percy said after flying the aircraft into to base. "It was a team effort, and I was happy to deliver the last Phantom to Tyndall."

The teamwork of contractors, civilian and military members contributed to more than 16,000 manned and 600 unmanned QF-4 missions. Ultimately, 250 of the Phantoms succeeded in their missions and been successively destroyed over the Gulf of Mexico and the ranges near Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., with the information gathered going to help warfighters globally.

There are only about 60 QF-4s remaining in the program both at Tyndall and Holloman.

The limited availability of F-4s and the continuing advancement of fighter aircraft such as the F-22 Raptors are forcing a shift to the fourth generation QF-16, a converted F-16 Fighting Falcon that should be ready for use in 2014.

"It is a more fitting end for the F-4 to go out in service instead of rusting in a field," said Vincent Farrell, 82nd ATRS instructor pilot and controller who flew the F-4 during his active duty career.

The U.S. Air Force first flew the F-4 in 1963 with the aircraft seeing first combat in 1965 against North Vietnamese fighters, according to the National Museum of the Air Force Factsheet.

The 82nd ATRS is part of the 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group, which falls under the 53rd Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The group provides the personnel and infrastructure to test and evaluate weapons utilized by the combat air forces of the United States and its allies. It operates the only full-scale aerial targets in the DOD.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    A few months ago, the first New QF-16 was delivered to Tyndall AFB.

On 19 Nov the last new QF-4 was delivered.

Last 'new' Phantom returns to service

[ATTACH]34708[/ATTACH]
    FYI: That particular Phantom is an old RF-4, although it appears to have Spey engines instead of J-79's.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Yea, its a filler pic. The article didn't have one of the actual plane

Comment

I guess they ran out of enough split oak to keep the Phantoms flying!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Yea, its a filler pic. The article didn't have one of the actual plane
          I had a feeling that was the case; journalists pull up a pic file that says "RF-4 Phantom" on it, and they post it. Close enough, I guess (except for us nerds that know the difference between an RF-4B and and an RF-4C).
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            I had a feeling that was the case; journalists pull up a pic file that says "RF-4 Phantom" on it, and they post it. Close enough, I guess (except for us nerds that know the difference between an RF-4B and and an RF-4C).
            Probably.

That's one of the reasons why I refuse to watch news videos unless I absolutely have to; there's hardly any quality control for it anywhere. I've seen PBS tell me they are going to do war (II) in the Pacific and they have pic of a U-Boat. The History channel talk about the Soviet nuclear submarine fleet while they show a flotilla of Foxtrots. Newscasters talking about an exercise done on a 747 and it's a DC-10 in the flick. And so forth and so on.

What was once the joke of a Bellisario TV show has become the standard of how to do things.

A question, though. The Germans retired their Phantoms a short time ago.....what happened to those aircraft?
            Last edited by Tamara; 17 Dec 13,, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
              Probably.

That's one of the reasons why I refuse to watch news videos unless I absolutely have to; there's hardly any quality control for it anywhere. I've seen PBS tell me they are going to do war (II) in the Pacific and they have pic of a U-Boat. The History channel talk about the Soviet nuclear submarine fleet while they show a flotilla of Foxtrots. Newscasters talking about an exercise done on a 747 and it's a DC-10 in the flick. And so forth and so on.

What was once the joke of a Bellisario TV show has become the standard of how to do things.

A question, though. The Germans retired their Phantoms a short time ago.....what happened to those aircraft?
              Drones maybe? I have read USAF uses them for targets.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Drones maybe? I have read USAF uses them for targets.
                No, alas, ..... scrapped.

They were retired at the end of June, this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  I guess they ran out of enough split oak to keep the Phantoms flying!
                  Slit... oak? I don't understand that reference.

Is that just a jab at the antiquity of the aircraft by comparing it to a wood and sail ship?
                  Last edited by Triple C; 17 Dec 13,, 14:41.
                  All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                  -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                    Slit... oak? I don't understand that reference.

Is that just a jab at the antiquity of the aircraft by comparing it to a wood and sail ship?
                    Due to the prodigious amounts of blacksmoke produced by the twin J-79 there used to be a joke about how the F-4 was the world's only woodburning jet aircraft.

Not as funny when it has to be explained.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I have a lot of good memories watching that plane.

Back in my AFROTC days, we would drive to the Guard base in Duluth where the 148th lived. Right outside the gate was a parking area. This was all near the hangers and the taxi way from there to the runway came along us within 100 ft or so.

All the way through the '80s, you could go there any time, any day and someone would be coming and going. The aircrew would always give us a wave as they passed. It was our motivation to remind us why we were putting up with the BS we did.

Once they converted to 16s around '90 or so, flight time dropped considerably. The Cold War kept things interesting. Since 9/11 the parking area is now barricaded off, so that's over with.

Most of the F-4Ds were the two tone camo, but there were a few left in the old ADC gray. One of those was a MiG killer.

In addition to the celebrated smoke. I'll always remember the ghostly howl that went with it.

Ed-
                      Last edited by Zad Fnark; 17 Dec 13,, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Due to the prodigious amounts of blacksmoke produced by the twin J-79 there used to be a joke about how the F-4 was the world's only woodburning jet aircraft.

Not as funny when it has to be explained.
                        That reminds me of a joke I heard back in the '80's:

F-4 Phantom: Proof that, given enough power, even a brick can fly.

Comment

The question I have is will Tyndall keep its camo birds?

They take part in the heritage Flight Formations at airshows. But they are target drones.

Hopefully they will keep them until the airframes run out of hours before they splash them in the gulf

Tyndall version

Holloman Version

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 18 Dec 13,, 00:50.

Comment

That joke goes back further than that and it applies to MiG's as well.

Which can illustrate a point. Remember the flick Iron Eagle II? Joint American/Soviet team to take out an nuke facility in a desert? Well, the Soviets arrived in F-4's.

WHAT? The best known fighter in the Free World being flown by the Soviets? Who thought that would work in the movie world?

Well, if we say a MiG is the flying brick and if I had never seen a Phantom before and then came across the Soviets flying this plane, in those circumstances, I could believe that it was a MiG.

Comment

We use to say the same thing about the CH-53E. With the caveat "Most of the time"

Comment

Working...
                              X