Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Textron Scorpion new budget friendly fighter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textron Scorpion new budget friendly fighter.

Somewhat old news, but I didn't see anything posted on it: Textron Unveils Scorpion Fighter Jet | WebProNews

In no way is this per say an alternative to 5th gen (heck even some 4th gen) aircraft. But for smaller countries, that are looking for a modern upgrade, they can afford, this might just be an option.

Actual flight info: And Just Like That, a Fighter Jet Is Born - DailyFinance
    The First Flight of the Scorpion Light Tactical Jet | Defense Media Network

Scorpion's beefy engines also enable the plane to carry a sizable payload of ordnance. The plane's rated to carry 3,000 pounds of bombs internally, and boasts six "hard points" along its wings for carrying extra fuel tanks and surface-to-surface or surface-to-air missiles.

Powered by twin turbofan engines, the Scorpion can reach top speeds upwards of 500 mph. That won't be fast enough to keep up with cutting edge fifth-generation fighters like Lockheed's F-35, or even a fourth generation bird like Boeing's F/A-18. But 500 mph would be plenty fast to run down something like Embraer's new A-29 Super Tucano prop-driven plane. That alone could make the plane attractive to South American nations bordering the rising power of Brazil, Embraer's home state.
    I had to read up on the A-29, and it look like the US Navy was looking at purchasing them, so in that case, maybe Scorpion could also be an option.
    In 2008, the U.S. Navy began testing the Super Tucano at the behest of the U.S. Special Operations Command for its potential use to support special warfare operations,[65] giving it the official U.S. designation A-29B.[66] The Super Tucano was offered in a U.S. Air Force competition for 100 counterinsurgency aircraft in 2009.
    Thoughts on the new Textron offering? Seems like an ideal CAS option.
    Attached Files

Frogfoot light....

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Frogfoot light....
      I see shades of Tomcat in there.

It looks like an interesting offering to, as they say, South American nations. As far as CAS...that really depends on how well it could integrate with about a thousand other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        I see shades of Tomcat in there.

It looks like an interesting offering to, as they say, South American nations. As far as CAS...that really depends on how well it could integrate with about a thousand other systems.
        Yeh, the aft of the aircraft does remind me of the F-14 (one of the best looking fighters in my opinion). As for CAS, I would venture, if say the US purchased the A/C whatever avionics that got installed would be shared with other aircraft already in the fleet.

Comment

You're assuming there's physically enough room for all the systems...it goes a lot deeper than just processors and displays. Datalinks, radios, computer hardware, avionics, countermeasures, etc. Everything has to fit and be compatible with the airframe...which also has to actually generate enough electricity to run it all. That's not a guarantee, and the ability of the Super Tucano to actually work with what the US would use it for was one of its big selling points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            You're assuming there's physically enough room for all the systems...it goes a lot deeper than just processors and displays. Datalinks, radios, computer hardware, avionics, countermeasures, etc. Everything has to fit and be compatible with the airframe...which also has to actually generate enough electricity to run it all. That's not a guarantee, and the ability of the Super Tucano to actually work with what the US would use it for was one of its big selling points.

Over the years aircraft have incorporated new systems, so I don't see why the same couldn't be done here. The F-16 found a way to stuff more and more upgrades in, over the years. At one point in time the F-16 didn't have IDM, now it does. At one point the F-16 had a separate INU, and GPS, now they are combined. There are lots of ways to save space, and find locations for equipment. And keeping with the idea of a lighter budgeted A/C it may forgo some systems seen as unneeded for it's role (whatever it could be). I get your point though, and know the engineers would have their work cut out for them getting the A/C greened up.

Comment

One-week study re-affirms A-10 retirement decision: USAF - 3/6/2015 - Flight Global

The possibility is there....

Comment

Originally posted by Operator View Post
                Once the F-35 reaches its full potential within the next decade, the service is considering purchasing a relatively inexpensive replacement for the A-10 to perform CAS against enemies that lack sophisticated air defenses, Gen Herbert Carlisle, chief of USAF Air Combat Command says on 6 March during a discussion with reporters at the Pentagon following a weeklong multi-service discussion of CAS.

An aircraft like the Textron AirLand Scorpion jet could fit that bill, Carlisle says.

is the term 'horsesh*t' ok to post here?

Comment

OMG an airframe that looks like an airplane...Wow. But, hm,yea... it is kind of ugly-ish, like an unwanted child between F-14 and Su-25. Lets call it F-25 Frogcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                    OMG an airframe that looks like an airplane...Wow. But, hm,yea... it is kind of ugly-ish, like an unwanted child between F-14 and Su-25. Lets call it F-25 Frogcat.
                    Or an Su-14 Tomfoot . . .

The widely-spaced engines make sense from a damage-control standpoint but, other than that, the airframe doesn't look very survivable; I seriously doubt that the cockpit has any kind of armor plating, and I'm guessing that it's a simple two-spar wing, instead of a more robust (and redundant) three-spar design, like on the A-10.
                    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                      Or an Su-14 Tomfoot . . .

The widely-spaced engines make sense from a damage-control standpoint but, other than that, the airframe doesn't look very survivable; I seriously doubt that the cockpit has any kind of armor plating, and I'm guessing that it's a simple two-spar wing, instead of a more robust (and redundant) three-spar design, like on the A-10.
                      Agreed. It would have a nice loitering time, with that flat bottom and semi lifting body design, it could help with lift if those high aspect wings get damaged. Other than that, I think that they could do better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                        Agreed. It would have a nice loitering time, with that flat bottom and semi lifting body design, it could help with lift if those high aspect wings get damaged. Other than that, I think that they could do better than this.
                        Its not a CAS platform but a light strike/survelliance platform for developing nations whose foes won't possess advanced ADA capabilities. If it can mount PGM's it can operate above manpad/light cannon range.

Comment

Its not a CAS platform but a light strike/survelliance platform for developing nations whose foes won't possess advanced ADA capabilities. If it can mount PGM's it can operate above manpad/light cannon range.
                          You seriously think that anyone buying this bargin-basement jalopy can afford PGMs.

I hazzard to guess a single PGM is worth more than this japlopy.
                          Chimo

Comment

Maybe,but I would use it more as recon/surveillance, it fits more for that role. Lots of stuff can be placed in that wide fuselage. Loiter time seems to be its biggest advantage. But why the title says that it is a budget fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              You seriously think that anyone buying this bargin-basement jalopy can afford PGMs.

I hazzard to guess a single PGM is worth more than this japlopy.
                              Sir its built to carry laser guided bombs, and missiles like mavericks, stingers and hellfires. It the attached pic you can see the sensor pod under the nose. Recently a national guard unit did a demonstration with it as a surveillance platform where the Scorpion provided hours of real time full color and FLIR data. Off the shelf mean cheap not junk.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X