No announcement yet.

Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question. Can't the Kaveri engine (original LCA engine) be used to fire-up something like X-47B, smaller in size, with sleath characteritics that can be used for re-connaissance as well as bombing missions? The millions lost developing that engine should be up for something right?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      I have a question. Can't the Kaveri engine (original LCA engine) be used to fire-up something like X-47B, smaller in size, with sleath characteritics that can be used for re-connaissance as well as bombing missions? The millions lost developing that engine should be up for something right?
      They shut down the Kaveri program but have a couple of successor programs in place now. (GTRE K9+ and K10)

Wikipedia

AMCA is a twin-engined aircraft which is powered by two GTRE K 9 + or K 10 engine which are successor to the cancelled Kaveri engine. While K 10 Program is a Joint Venture (JV) partnership with a foreign engine manufacturer. K 10 program engine will be final production standard Kaveri engine and shall have less weight and more reheat thrust along with certain other changes to meet the original design intent.[81] Both the engines are designed by ADA and developed by GTRE.[4] Full scale development of the K 9 and K 10 engine would be completed by 2019.[82][83][84] while AMCA Test Demonstrator would be powered by an existing 90 kN thrust engine.[73]

The K 9 + and K 10 both engines are designed to supercruise, the amca can achieve a supercruise of Mach 1.6 with both engine, with both are a stealthy afterburning jet engine.[85] The aircraft has a maximum speed of over Mach 2.5. With a maximum takeoff weight of 60,000 lb (29,000 kg).

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        It was related to that bit about the IAF generals being happy with the decision.
        I'm still not clear what you are trying to convey ?

Comment

Do you really believe that? Maybe in the case of US, but Russia.
          C17s and Mirages were G2G. Any controversy about them ?

I only hope so, defense acquisitions should be super fast tracked. But then who'd do the strategic thinking? Politicians know nothing about tanks or jets.
          The only reason an executive decision was taken here is because we've been at this for many years now. I would not advocate doing this sort of thing on super fast track basis. These are complicated systems. There is no substitute for due diligence.

In the end its buyer beware.

Comment

• I thought this was a good idea and then I saw this. Going by this logic (which makes sense to me), India lost the negotiations game.

Broadsword: “Make in India” on the guillotine

To sum up

Essentially, Dassault has dragged out negotiations until New Delhi’s need increased, and the wish to seem strong on defence converged with the desire to make a diplomatic splash in Paris. At that point the French were rewarded for their obstinacy with exactly what they wanted --- an order for fully built aircraft without the need to transfer technology. Says a keen observer of Indian defence procurement: “All vendors are now clear that ignoring India’s demands long enough ends in a reward that makes all Christmases come at once. This doesn't bode well for New Delhi in that next negotiation on whatever.”

Hmmm
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Yay, forum is back!

Originally posted by antimony View Post
              I thought this was a good idea and then I saw this. Going by this logic (which makes sense to me), India lost the negotiations game.

Broadsword: “Make in India” on the guillotine

To sum up

Hmmm
              Perhaps if India had been more flexible and not made ludicrous demands? Like making the french responsible for what India built? What company in it's right mind would acept that?

Comment

• Legacy from the previous govt i suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  C17s and Mirages were G2G. Any controversy about them ?
                  No, and I wasn't talking about the US or France. But who knows? Can you be a 100% certain about it? I think not. Were the deals clean (?), maybe. Time will tell. Having said that, I don't mind politicians receiving kickbacks if things actually get done, on time.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  The only reason an executive decision was taken here is because we've been at this for many years now. I would not advocate doing this sort of thing on super fast track basis. These are complicated systems. There is no substitute for due diligence.

In the end its buyer beware.
                  What I meant is the long and delayed process of issuing tenders etc etc, and then cancelling it. Not a good thing.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                    Yay, forum is back!

Perhaps if India had been more flexible and not made ludicrous demands? Like making the french responsible for what India built? What company in it's right mind would acept that?
                    We'll accept delays for make in India - GoI. Kickbacks please.

Comment

No, and I wasn't talking about the US or France. But who knows? Can you be a 100% certain about it? I think not. Were the deals clean (?), maybe. Time will tell. Having said that, I don't mind politicians receiving kickbacks if things actually get done, on time.
                      All this worrying about corruption meant AK anhtnoy did nothing and the military just kept waiting. The air force is upbeat.

They are the end users.

What I meant is the long and delayed process of issuing tenders etc etc, and then cancelling it. Not a good thing.
                      The discussion i linked pointed out that other companies lost out here because there were not aware that such a possibility existed. So in the future they will be less interested. hah. they will come.

Comment

• Another wonderful achievement by HAL.......

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/47007287.cms
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          All this worrying about corruption meant AK anhtnoy did nothing and the military just kept waiting. The air force is upbeat.

They are the end users.
                          I am all for corruption if things get done on the field. People want bribe, I'll give them bribe, but then I'd want my work to get done, on time. But from experience, things are different. Even paying a bribe doesn't get things done on time.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          The discussion i linked pointed out that other companies lost out here because there were not aware that such a possibility existed. So in the future they will be less interested. hah. they will come.
                          Instead of floating tenders, the GoI could just ask the Armed Forces about their needs, and then go ahead and do a govt-to-govt deal. Saves a lot of time and heartburn.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                            Another wonderful achievement by HAL.......

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/47007287.cms
                            Have patience. More achievements would roll out with the AMCA & PAKFA.

Comment

Have patience. More achievements would roll out with the AMCA & PAKFA.
                              I don't share your optimism, the people who cannot deliver even trainer aircraft will never deliver fancy 5th gen ones.
                              Going by their track record, they took 25+ years for LCA so by the time my son reaches college, there might be one or two AMCA or PAk FA flying.
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                                I don't share your optimism, the people who cannot deliver even trainer aircraft will never deliver fancy 5th gen ones.
                                Going by their track record, they took 25+ years for LCA so by the time my son reaches college, there might be one or two AMCA or PAk FA flying.
                                :pari: You didn't catch my sarcasm, why?

Comment

Working...
                                X