Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
    The only problem is that the PAKFA is faster than the F-35 (assuming that the PAKFA doesn't catch fire first though).
    It will be if/when they create the engines for it anyway. Sounds like they are planning to build just enough for Putin to parade around at air shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Mega MMRCA project for 126 jets to be scrapped

I hope GoI cancels the PAKFA deal now. Talk to the Americans, Government to Government deal, and buy 250 F-35s.
      I don't think f35 is on offer. you did, after all, just try to build a competing aircraft with Moscow.

Comment

• In hindsight, we should have gone for the Eurofighter program. India would have a better chance of building up its MIC base.

Comment

I hope GoI cancels the PAKFA deal now. Talk to the Americans, Government to Government deal, and buy 250 F-35s.
          Because one Rafale costs as much as two F-35s?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• So, what's in all this for India?
            If they go for another supplier, the guys at logistics and procurement wont be very happy.
            If they go for more Rafales they lost the deal for tech transfer.

I am confused.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• 1. The PakFA isn't anything until it actually exits the prototype stage... and it hasn't done that, isn't anywhere near to doing that, and isn't even giving you details of what it is achieving... heck not even its failures.

2. The Mod is friggin retarded anyway... why on earth do you have 3 Fighter programs? You aren't the USA, and your requirements aren't really that different from larger countries anyway. Building fighters is a lot different from fielding prototypes. To make matters worse, you want to build 3 different types. What an astronomical waste of money.

If you want to get an indigenous design: fine. Set aside Billions of dollars for a prototype industry... or partner with BAe on UAV tech... but the Russians? Seriously, how much do you guys want to get boned?
              Ego Numquam

Comment

• I expect LCA will go into production within these few months.

The t-50 project is a subject of gossip everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  So, what's in all this for India?
                  If they go for another supplier, the guys at logistics and procurement wont be very happy.

I am confused.
                  Our public sector HAL has done nothing with the TOTs obtained earlier. Building knocked down kits is their forte, and the quality of even these is questionable.
                  We built our own Migs for years, but did the HAL even innovate or change the aircraft and learn from it? - NO.
                  It is better that we just buy it, till we get our own Tejas into production.

HAL should either perform or perish.

The GOI is looking at the nuclear reactor for the Indian navy's sub project probably. Just a guess.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                    I don't think f35 is on offer. you did, after all, just try to build a competing aircraft with Moscow.
                    It was and my guess is it still would be.

U.S. open to selling F-35 jet fighters to India

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Because one Rafale costs as much as two F-35s?
                    When we talk about billion dollar defense deals, the prices are almost similar. Unit cost of F - 35 (F -35A = USD 98 million, F - 35B = USD 104 million, F - 35C = USD 116 million). If they are mass produced, the rates would further come down. Unit cost of Rafale = USD 101 million.

I was thinking about the need for stealth fighters that can be inducted from 2020 onwards, considering the schedules that the Russians keep on violating and the maintenance cost of Russian jets, plus spares availability.

Not only PAKFA, but the indigenous AMCA should also be scrapped. DRDO couldn't build an indigenous 4th gen fighter (LCA) for over 25 years, and they talk about 5th gen and stealth.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 14 Apr 15,, 10:13.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I am confused.
                      Diversifying the buying of jets from a host of nations adds to the logistics and maintenance nightmare. My guess is more Rafales would be inducted later. And nobody would part with full ToT, the Russians didn't and we'd been buying from them for decades.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

That bit isn't clear nor finalised yet. In the sense we may build some portion in India.

The sticking point is liability not tech transfer. Could that be worked out like with nuke reactors ? possible.

More Rafales in the future. Like happened with Mirages.

I don't have a problem with deeper strategic relationship with France. They have been our guest at the republic day four times now. No bumps in the road with them so far.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Apr 15,, 10:28.

Comment

• Here we go - Future Rafale jet purchases will be through direct negotiations with French government: Manohar Parrikar

Comment

• I guess the indian powers-that-be are really fed up with the whole mess these in-house-built programs have been. That, or having your backs to the wall (in terms of equipment available) finally woke them up...

Comment

When we talk about billion dollar defense deals, the prices are almost similar. Unit cost of F - 35 (F -35A = USD 98 million, F - 35B = USD 104 million, F - 35C = USD 116 million). If they are mass produced, the rates would further come down. Unit cost of Rafale = USD 101 million.

I was thinking about the need for stealth fighters that can be inducted from 2020 onwards, considering the schedules that the Russians keep on violating and the maintenance cost of Russian jets, plus spares availability.

Not only PAKFA, but the indigenous AMCA should also be scrapped. DRDO couldn't build an indigenous 4th gen fighter (LCA) for over 25 years, and they talk about 5th gen and stealth.
                              So, how on Earth will you get twice as many US birds for the same budget?

Here is what you said:

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Comment

So, how on Earth will you get twice as many US birds for the same budget?

Here is what you said:
                                Hey! Where did I say money for Rafale should be used to buy F - 35s?

Comment

Working...
                                X