Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    I don't have the link, but I read somewhere this was basically a partial-order just to keep everything rolling until a final order was placed.
    How Narendra Modi reworked Rafale deal, and why it’s a winner - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post

That's the end of this.
      There aint no-way that the PAK-FA is going to come out in a good way for India, They'll likely order more Rafaels in the longer term.
      Ego Numquam

Comment

• The PAK-FA is in comatose. India is not pleased with the direction and way that PAK-FA is going. They want more reassurances and it is a fire across the bow.

I am not pleased by this development. I want India to focus more on the LCA program and buy more MKIs. If IAF is worried about depleting squadron strength, they should drop their objections to the LCA program and get on with it, warts and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          The PAK-FA is in comatose. India is not pleased with the direction and way that PAK-FA is going. They want more reassurances and it is a fire across the bow.

I am not pleased by this development. I want India to focus more on the LCA program and buy more MKIs. If IAF is worried about depleting squadron strength, they should drop their objections to the LCA program and get on with it, warts and all.
          We don't have the manufacturing capability to churn out LCAs fast enough. By the time we ramp up production, we might be down to even fewer squadrons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            The PAK-FA is in comatose. India is not pleased with the direction and way that PAK-FA is going. They want more reassurances and it is a fire across the bow.
            Re-assurances? From my internet travels officials aren't even getting access. I think Moscow is stiffing India like they did with the Carrier. India didn't even get access to the one that caught alight last year. India is supposed to be equal partners. I am not even sure if they will get any intellectual property out of the exercise at all. I hope they do... not holding my breath.
            Ego Numquam

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunder View Post
              Re-assurances? From my internet travels officials aren't even getting access. I think Moscow is stiffing India like they did with the Carrier. India didn't even get access to the one that caught alight last year. India is supposed to be equal partners. I am not even sure if they will get any intellectual property out of the exercise at all. I hope they do... not holding my breath.
              Sighhh

Looks like we did not learn anything from the Gorshkov fiasco.
              The Ruskis are getting ready to shaft us again and laugh all the way to the bank.

Purge DRDO, fire those money eating bribe taking scum.
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• To top it off, they want to force Dassault to be responsible for what India builds... no wonder France is dragging it's feet, despite really wanting to sell Rafales... if this sale of 36 is confirmed, then the french must be dancing...

Comment

• This looks like the best decision possible under the circumstances. It helps partially stem shortfalls in the IAF and buys time to resolve the issues over the remaining 108 aircraft to be made in India- assuming that ever happens. Frankly I don't think the French will transfer the technology for that, and Indian industry is not ready to mass manufacture something as complex as Rafale, considering they are struggling to churn out the simpler LCA's in numbers. Purchasing 36-70 Rafales reduces Indian dependence on Russia, considerably boosts Indian combat power as each Rafale is considerably more capable than a MiG-21 or Mirage. The LCA is more advanced than many people give it credit for but even so I have doubts about it's capability as a small single engined plane to be able to match heavy twin engined Chinese J-11s or SU-30's.

That there is no market for light fighters, compared to medium and heavy ones,today tells its own story.

Comment

• Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                    We don't have the manufacturing capability to churn out LCAs fast enough. By the time we ramp up production, we might be down to even fewer squadrons.
                    That's because MoD refuses to make bulk orders. HAL told MoD if given a confirmed large order, they will ramp up production in no time and churn out fighters but IAF and MoD are dragging their feet.

MoD is so fucking retarded that is being run by a bunch of monkeys. They have no concept of how weapon procurement policies work and how to build a military industry complex with vital technology bases and manufacturing bases.

Comment

• Mega MMRCA project for 126 jets to be scrapped

I hope GoI cancels the PAKFA deal now. Talk to the Americans, Government to Government deal, and buy 250 F-35s.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 13 Apr 15,, 18:21.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• The JSF would likely not be available before 2020. Scrapping the MMRCA only makes sense if the money is ploughed into local manufacturing and R & D, otherwise India gains nothing in the long run, only more dependency on foreign goodwill.

Comment

• I thought the MMRCA was for a "heavy" fighter? If so, the F-35 would certainly not fit the bill. The Rafale has a much greater payload. Since 36 is a small number, I'm guessing they will split the budget to (eventually) buy more Rafales and support the PAKFA...

Comment

• I was actually talking about 5th Gen fighters for the IAF (F-35 C for the IN, F - 35 B for mountainous regions like NE, J&K). But yeah, we need a stop gap arrangement, and only Rafael fits the bill as of now. If India floats another MMRCA, not even China will take part in it. Credibility bites dust. Put out tenders, have the competitors slug it out for years, announce the winner, and then cancel it. :pari:
                            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                              I thought the MMRCA was for a "heavy" fighter? If so, the F-35 would certainly not fit the bill. The Rafale has a much greater payload. Since 36 is a small number, I'm guessing they will split the budget to (eventually) buy more Rafales and support the PAKFA...
                              The Rafale and F-35 are pretty close really. Rafale can carry 9,500 kg of ordinance to the F-35's 8,100 kg. When you consider that the F-35 has almost double the internal fuel capacity, there is a pretty good chance some of the Rafale's ordinance capacity will be used for drop tanks and it basically becomes a wash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                Mega MMRCA project for 126 jets to be scrapped

I hope GoI cancels the PAKFA deal now. Talk to the Americans, Government to Government deal, and buy 250 F-35s.
                                The only problem is that the PAKFA is faster than the F-35 (assuming that the PAKFA doesn't catch fire first though).

Comment

Working...
                                X