Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You got the plane and the adventure but the pilot was Peruvian.
    Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
      You got the plane and the adventure but the pilot was Peruvian.

But Jorge Chavez did not survive!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        But Jorge Chavez did not survive!
        He never said he did.

Nice animated map of his trip can be seen here. Just look at the start, he should have quit then.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Georges Chavez (1887-1910)

Italian promoters posted a $14,000 prize for the first aviator to fly though the Simplon Pass, a height of 6,600 feet, which lay between Switzerland and Italy. Thirteen aviators entered the contest, but the race committee only accepted five who seemed to have the best credentials. One of them was a Peruvian aviator named Jorges Chavez Dartnell (who was referred to France as Georges Chavez). In preparation for the flight Chavez took his Bleriot XI up in a test flight 8,487 feet, breaking the current altitude record.

The race opened on September 18, 1910, but Swiss authorities forbade flying as it was a Swiss holiday. The next day the weather turned bad and for the next four days either the Swiss or Italian side of the pass was clouded over. Chavez took his plane up for a look and was tossed about, "The machine, it was like a toy in that wind," he said later.

On September 23, weather cleared and Chavez decided to make an attempt. Slowly his plane climbed to the top of the pass. Witnesses on the ground reported that he seemed to be hanging onto the controls as the wind tossed his craft violently around. He made it through the dangerous, twisting gorges, though, and headed for a landing at the town of Domodossola on the Italian side. As he approached the landing field he gave the Bleriot a little gas to get past a road. Then suddenly it happened. The craft was so weakened by the high winds it failed under the strain. "I saw the two wings of the monoplane suddenly flatten out and paste themselves against the fuselage," a watcher said "Chavez was about a dozen meters up; he fell like a stone." Four days later Chavez, age 23, died of massive internal injuries.

Albany Rifles your question.
          Attached Files
          Craig Johnson

Comment

• Thanks. I will post in AM as I have an Eagle Scout board of review to attend to this evening.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• ID the aircraft and its more famous cousin.
              Attached Files
              Mark Twain

Comment

• You can't miss that nose. I think I have seen it in the quiz before. Or the cousin.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

[ATTACH]35638[/ATTACH]

ID the aircraft and its more famous cousin.
                  Dok thinks it might have been posted before I couldn't go through 3727 posts but British Royal Navy insignia and paint job put me in the right track.

It is Vickers Warwick maritime bomber and patrol aircraft and its cousin was Vickers Wellington.

Comment

• I am mighty sure I have seen it here. Maybe not in the quiz, tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      You can't miss that nose. I think I have seen it in the quiz before. Or the cousin.
                      It looks very similar to a B-24H nose, might even be the same Emerson A-15 turret.
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        It looks very similar to a B-24H nose, might even be the same Emerson A-15 turret.
                        When I first saw it, it was a very cropped picture and I thought it's a Helo cabin. That almost squared glass cabin, will always scream Vickers to me.

Comment

• Aryajet is correct. The Vickers Warwick had a lot of teething and engine problems and was sup[lanted in squadron service by other designs. It shared much with the Vickers Wellington. It had the Wimpy's geodesic Wallis frame as well as the FN-5 powered nose turret.

You're up.

And I never saw it before...
                          Mark Twain

Comment

You're up..
                            Name the first aviation movie to earn Oscar prize.

Comment

• Wings 1927 First Oscar winner as Best Picture?
                              Craig Johnson

Comment

• This young pilot is best known for a famous last.
                                Attached Files
                                Craig Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X