No announcement yet.

Pics of slat armor on M113s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The marines dont have any money because they've dumped all their funds into the AH-1Z/UH-1Z(good programs), the advanced AMTRAK(very expensive, but apparently also very important to the USMC), and the god awful 110 million per copy MV-22.

Comment

I'm told by an officer who served with the 4th LAR btb in OIF that the LAVs are slated for a pretty heavy upgrade cycle in a couple years. They need to extend their life untill their new family of AFVs comes onlint in about 15-20 years. Mostly it's updates to the engine and drivetrain but I think a 30mm canon is under consideration and maybe armor and electonics improvements.

From what I hear the new Amtracks are very nice but the Osprey is far overpriced and still a little to experimental for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        and the god awful 110 million per copy MV-22.
        Why is it awful?

Comment

What is the new Marine armored vehicle used for landings that is being developed?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
            I wonder why the Marines haven't looked a light and modulat slat armor package for their LAVs? The Aussies ahve one for their ASLAVs that's currently seeing service in Iraq. The LAV really isn't suited for heavy ceramic or steel applique and it's base armor s too thin for ERA I believe, slats seem like a good idea to me. One of several upgrades they should consider.

ASLAV with slat armor
            Very nice pic. I love that model of the Stryker, although I don't really know the use for them, when there's the Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
              Very nice pic. I love that model of the Stryker, although I don't really know the use for them, when there's the Bradley.
              The Stryker is based off the LAV platform, so it's actually the other way around. As far as the Marines go, they use the LAV-25 in a reconnaissance role and with a force structure that is for the most part light, the Bradley wouldn't be an appropriate vehicle for what their mission is.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I got it now. Opinion changed.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
                  That's an Australian ASLAV, it's used for recon work because it only carries 2 dismounts in the back, but my sources say the Aussies fit a minifridge thatholds 24 12 oz, cans back there as well. :)

The Marines use something similar the LAV-25, minus the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
                    What is the new Marine armored vehicle used for landings that is being developed?
                    This:
                    AAAV/EFV

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the m-242 Bushmaster.

Comment

Working...
                        X