This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cottage cheese
    No probs- I wasn't exactly pissed ... just thought thst bit was somewhat misleading. Every society, ethnic group, political set has its share of folks who think a punch up is the way to go. Naga's aren't an exception to that.
    Glad you took it in a broadmind. :)
    Hi cottage!
    I had a lot of naga friends. I sudied in Shillong . My dad was in the defense. Nice to meet a naga online. Brings back those memories.

Comment

• Local politicians of NE are responsible along with central govt for the alienation of NE people.

Also hi cottage cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by indianbomb
        Hi cottage!
        I had a lot of naga friends. I sudied in Shillong . My dad was in the defense. Nice to meet a naga online. Brings back those memories.
        Small world eh? I studied in Shillong too. So which formation was your dad with- 101, ARC, 58GTC, AR, Mountain Div. Umroi or EAC?

Comment

• Originally posted by JASOOS VIJAY
          Local politicians of NE are responsible [/B]
          I can't argue with that- We've an A1 bunch of As***les as leaders.

I can't believe we in the NE are so dumb to consistently rotate two sets of imbeciles every few years. It's not like they have charisma or anything... guess we've just given up on trying.

Comment

I can't argue with that- We've an A1 bunch of As***les as leaders.

I can't believe we in the NE are so dumb to consistently rotate two sets of imbeciles every few years. It's not like they have charisma or anything... guess we've just given up on trying.
            Also how enmass these idiots politicans change their parties from congress to BJP & from BJP to congress & likewise. What NE really needs is honest politicians who work for people's benefit & not for personal benefit.

Comment

• Originally posted by JASOOS VIJAY
              Also how enmass these idiots politicans change their parties from congress to BJP & from BJP to congress & likewise. What NE really needs is honest politicians who work for people's benefit & not for personal benefit.
              Thats asking for the moon...

Comment

Thats asking for the moon...
                Military Engineers(G E Shillong)

Have you gone back to Shillong ?? I read today in the TOI of some trouble there by the KSU about some exclusive secratariat for Khasi hills or something like that.
                Its difficult to get news of the NE sitting in Mumbai. I sometimes log into Shillong times.com Would be happy if you can provide me with any more links.

Comment

• Originally posted by indianbomb
                  Military Engineers(G E Shillong)

Have you gone back to Shillong ?? I read today in the TOI of some trouble there by the KSU about some exclusive secratariat for Khasi hills or something like that.
                  Its difficult to get news of the NE sitting in Mumbai. I sometimes log into Shillong times.com Would be happy if you can provide me with any more links.
                  MES? the area overlooking Spread Eagle Falls or the one beyond Lumparing? Yup there's the annual L&O ritual going on there. I'm in touch with folks there. This year its kind of turning ugly coz its a Khasi-Garo issue. cutting quite deep. Log on to shillong dot com - mostly flaming and abuse and counter-abuse.... but you'll get a fair idea of the little mindedness of us North Easterners. Its all so dumb.

Hey noticed how this has evolved? Indian Army vs US Army to Shillong and its idiosyncracies? :)

Comment

Hey noticed how this has evolved? Indian Army vs US Army to Shillong and its idiosyncracies? :)
                    Why blame us "faujis" or fauji's sons?..Each one of us who has been to the north-east has fond memories of the land. I for one want to go back to Shillong and Aizawl (I studied here for a year). Besides I have a links with the Naga Regt., its like second family. My father was the first RMO when it was raised and went with them for the 1971 war, he knows the 126 guerillas who were inducted during its raising.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree
                      Why blame us "faujis" or fauji's sons?..Each one of us who has been to the north-east has fond memories of the land. I for one want to go back to Shillong and Aizawl (I studied here for a year). Besides I have a links with the Naga Regt., its like second family. My father was the first RMO when it was raised and went with them for the 1971 war, he knows the 126 guerillas who were inducted during its raising.
                      This is getting interesting... the whole NE thing. I do recall quite a few were absorbed into BSF(?) - or am I mistaken. The 7th Battalion of the Nagaland Armed Police was raised with a sizable proportion of ex guerillas - I remember the CO (distant relatation) was ex UG as well. Ther was a joke (if you call it one) going around the the 7th was for all practical purposes, Chinese trained! You must have heard of the Merapani incident of June 1985? That's when Nagaland and Assam went to 'War'(In the words of the more kitshy folks) over a boundary dispute - That was crazy- it's like Rajasthan and Gujarat actually going to war. There were over 100 'KIAs' in skirmishes between the 7th NAP and the Assam Police. Can you believe that ?- and we're in the same country!

I didn't know the NR got its feet wet in 1971. My dad spooked with the RAW, post 71, post Coup- training and arming Mukti Bahini(spelling?)

Which years were you in service?

Comment

Ther was a joke (if you call it one) going around the the 7th was for all practical purposes, Chinese trained!
                        In fact that is true, since those guys had got their initial guerilla training from the PLA.
                        You must have heard of the Merapani incident of June 1985?
                        The punjab imbroglio had overshadowed this incident at that time.
                        I didn't know the NR got its feet wet in 1971.
                        They were part of 4 Inf Div, 2 Corps.
                        Which years were you in service?
                        1992 - 1998.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Sir
                          Me and Hammer were wondering what a Regiment in the army meant .... because all you folks talk of 'x inf division ' deployed....

I mean , i am unable to understand the basics ... like what a regiment is because you folks always refer to divisions when talking about deployment and wars and stuff.So what is the purpose of the regiment ?

I understand that a regiment is made up of so many Battalions and such.
                          Last edited by Samudra; 09 Aug 05,, 06:35.

Comment

• In the British style army sense, it is our affliation and the battle history and honours to which we must live upto. In the same sense that you share some of your father's ideals, we share our regiment's heritage.

The British system hypes up the regiment wheras the Americans hype up the division. For the Americans, the affiliation is the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree
                              In fact that is true, since those guys had got their initial guerilla training from the PLA.
                              Yup, the CO use to tell me about his long march to China, via Northern Burma- took almost a month- cross country. There was a time the ran out grub and were reduced to chewing tea leaves. They were then received like VIPs on entering China - their indoctrination classes were like America is not your enemy, India is not your main enemy.... USSR is the main enemy.... stuff like that.
                              The return trip was again on foot with three AKs to a person , 1 M20(tokarev) and loads of ammo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Samudra
                                Sir
                                Me and Hammer were wondering what a Regiment in the army meant .... because all you folks talk of 'x inf division ' deployed....

I mean , i am unable to understand the basics ... like what a regiment is because you folks always refer to divisions when talking about deployment and wars and stuff.So what is the purpose of the regiment ?

I understand that a regiment is made up of so many Battalions and such.

SAMUNDRA

A Regiment (UK)is pretty much the same as a battalion. (US). Whether a unit is called a regiment or a battalion depends on their country of orgin and their mission. For example, the UK has Infantry and armor regiments which are pretty much the same size and structure as a US Army Infantry or Armored battalion (the US units are a little bit bigger). Even within the US military, units of the same basic size and structure may be called battlions or regiments depending on their mission

In the US miliary a Division is generally composed of three Brigades (army) or three regiments (Marines). Each Brigade or regiment has three or four manuever battlaions and each battalion generally has about 58 tanks or 54 IFV or a combination of the two. The army also designates its cavalry units as Regiments when they area Brigade sized. So it is really a matter of semantics more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X