Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone is confused over Special Forces and Special Operational Forces (includes US Army Special Forces [USSF], Army Rangers, AF PJ's, CCT's and SOW, Navy SEAL's and now Marine Special Operations Command [MARSOC]) Only USSF has the role of unconventional warfare so there is no competition in that arena. When you are the only competitor, you win.
    J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
      Not quite, the 1er RPIMa and 2nd REP (Foreign Legion), are one of the best in the world, they are rated even better than SEAL or US Rangers.
      This would not have been 22 SAS entering into a competition, they don't do such things, they don't have too. They have to remain anonymous, even when they die they revert back to their old Regiment.

It would have been some other Unit, maybe the Paras' or other grunt unit.;)

Comment

• CA,

Lemontree was an Indian Army Captain who's now in a private security firm. He met more than a few Ninjas.

Comment

• To gain some understanding of what it takes to be a SAS soldier in New Zealand watch the very interesting TV series NZSAS -first among equals.

Go to youtube.com and search "NZSAS" to view.

As depicted in the program, NZSAS training and selection is based on the British SAS. Consequently, I would imagine the Australian, Canadian is similar as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JodiSP View Post
            To gain some understanding of what it takes to be a SAS soldier in New Zealand watch the very interesting TV series NZSAS -first among equals.

Go to youtube.com and search "NZSAS" to view.

As depicted in the program, NZSAS training and selection is based on the British SAS. Consequently, I would imagine the Australian, Canadian is similar as well.
            The only Countries that mirror British SAS Training is Australia and New Zealand, but it is not identical! There are a few Aussis and Kiwis that attempt to transfer across, they still have to undergo British Selection though, so some still don't succeed!!!!!

Kiwi selection phase is 14 Days, British Selection phase is 28 Days. On day 1 with 22 SAS 10% have already failed. During selection with 22 SAS training is undertaken alone, no instructors or staff shouting at you to do better, Kiwis work in teams. The British SAS will only accept 2 - 7% of those that started.

Comment

• CA,

Canadian JTF II and the 22 SAS has been working together since UNPROFOR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                CA,

Canadian JTF II and the 22 SAS has been working together since UNPROFOR.
                I can imagine that they have, all I was trying to point out was the fact that training differs somewhat. Mines a 'Rusty Nail', cheers.;)

Comment

• The differnces disappears after we have to work together. Otherwise, people get hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    The differnces disappears after we have to work together. Otherwise, people get hurt.
                    Apart from those that are meant to get hurt.
                    Nulli Secundus
                    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                      I can imagine that they have, all I was trying to point out was the fact that training differs somewhat. Mines a 'Rusty Nail', cheers.;)
                      You and those Rusty Nails;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                        The only Countries that mirror British SAS Training is Australia and New Zealand, but it is not identical! There are a few Aussis and Kiwis that attempt to transfer across, they still have to undergo British Selection though, so some still don't succeed!!!!!

Kiwi selection phase is 14 Days, British Selection phase is 28 Days. On day 1 with 22 SAS 10% have already failed. During selection with 22 SAS training is undertaken alone, no instructors or staff shouting at you to do better, Kiwis work in teams. The British SAS will only accept 2 - 7% of those that started.
                        1st SFOD-D shares a lot of similarities too.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrightwing View Post
                          1st SFOD-D shares a lot of similarities too.
                          I think we ran about 5% in the late 80s. I've heard they opened up a lot now and the rate is higher. Any info on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            I think we ran about 5% in the late 80s. I've heard they opened up a lot now and the rate is higher. Any info on that?
                            To the best of my knowledge, there haven't been major changes in terms of quantity over quality, in selection rates. Of course the actual % isn't likely to be advertised.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, there haven't been major changes in terms of quantity over quality, in selection rates. Of course the actual % isn't likely to be advertised.
                              Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't questioning the quality. Its just that there where some major changes in late '87 and more after I got out. When I went to check on re-upping recently, the recruiter told me that the CMFs where now open to E-4. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away....You had be an E-5 before you stepped foot in the Q-course.

Comment

Quantity is never an issue...Quality is. The drop out rate is high and always has been, that won't change. There are lots chasing their Rainbow but few ever find the Gold;)

Comment

Working...
                                X