China’s Soldiers Outgrow Their Tanks and Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China’s Soldiers Outgrow Their Tanks and Guns

A friend sent me this article today. Apparently, the chinese troops are getting too big for their gear!

troops too big

After surveying some 20,000 ground-force soldiers, the PLA found that their average physique had increased by 2 cm in height and 5 cm in waist girth over the past two decades.
    Realistically, how much of this is just an excuse to buy lots of new weapons, and now much is true? I remember reading some similar problems in the west, some years ago, but the increase (and the problems they created) was more gradual. And, afaik, there's a pretty tight height limit for tankers and pilots...

Edit: queue Fox News histerics on the "size gap"... :D

JLVFR, Not sure about armor.

In the US Army there is not a height standard for Armor. I know of a retired Armor BG who was 6 feet 4 inches tall.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

I was promised that Soviet tanks requiring short crewmen is a myth. I can somewhat see the issue with rifle stocks, theoretically, but they just designed their new rifle a few years back. And their old ones were AK knock-offs.
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

it is not a myth. i have been inside t64\72, i'm 6,4 it is not for anyone over 5'6" -5'7". i mean you can fit a large person in there, but they will be very ineffective in actually doing their job.
        however i was in gunners seat, never tried drivers or commanders, but doubt thigs are much different there.

as for firearms, i never seen a firearm inside the tank, thou during wartime things may be different. but i was lucky not to be there in a wartime.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          A friend sent me this article today. Apparently, the chinese troops are getting too big for their gear!
          troops too big

Realistically, how much of this is just an excuse to buy lots of new weapons, and now much is true? I remember reading some similar problems in the west, some years ago, but the increase (and the problems they created) was more gradual. And, afaik, there's a pretty tight height limit for tankers and pilots...

Edit: queue Fox News histerics on the "size gap"... :D
          China has improved much from being dirt poor.

Better nutrition means bigger average size.

For instance the average size of North Korean soldiers has decreased due to malnutrition.

So in my opinion the size increase in troops is likely to be true.

Comment

I can see this. In fact I'm a perfect example. I tried to put on the Dress Blues I wore before I retired.

Due to a diet that had an overabundance of nutritional value, I found that I had "Out Grown" that uniform.

Comment

5ft 6-7 would be around the average for well-nourished Asian males, I think. The PLA might be having trouble with finding somewhat shortish recruits, or I suppose they just want to have more choices.
              Last edited by Triple C; 21 Feb 14,, 11:30.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
              X