No announcement yet.

Any MRE Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read again. Run of the mill "kipa Srugah" Orthodox. They were cool.
    Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

Hey Mark, can you translate your signature for us Gentiles?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Kipa Srugah is cool.

Translation for Paam Tzanhanim, Tamid Tzanhanim=Once Paratroopers, Always Paratroopers.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

bigross, do you speak Hebrew and Yiddish, or just Hebrew? As I understand it, they are similiar, Yiddish being a combination of Hebrew and German.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Won't speak for Bigross, but I'd be surprised if he did speak Yiddish at age 17; unless his folks speak it and/or he's ultra-Orthodox. (which I doubt, given the modest Avatar)

Yiddish is written in Hebrew letters, but its derived from German. There's little correlation between knowing Hebrew and being able to understand Yiddish. On the other hand, my dad grew up with Yiddish and found he could talk and understand the Germans in WWII. He picked up Dutch too, and already spoke French from High School.

The Ultra-Orthodox, both in Israel and abroad speak Yiddish or whatever the native tongue happens to be, but not Hebrew. Its considered a holy language and is only used in prayer. What the Yiddish does, is bridge the gap between an Ultra-Orthodox American and Belgian.

Then there's the story of the Orthodox Jew arriving by train in Boston. He turns to the man meeting him and asks:

Vu sox du?

A stranger nearby shouted out: "They beat the Yanks 3-2."
            Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

So then what language do most Israelis speak on a day-to-day basis? English, Hebrew?

Comment

Most people I know speak Hebrew or English. Ra'anana, where I live is very Anglo. It was founded by Americans.

President Bush calls in the head of the CIA and asks, "How come the Jews know everything before we do?

The CIA chief says, "It's simple. The Jews have an expression, Nu, Vus Tutzuch (English translation: What's Happening). They just ask each other and that's how they find out everything."

Impressed, George W. Bush says he personally wants to go undercover to see how this system works.

So the president gets disguised (the hat, beard, long sideburns etc.) as an Orthodox Jew, and is secretly flown in an unmarked plane to New York where he is secretly picked up in an unmarked car and secretly dropped off in Crown Heights, one of Brooklyn's most Jewish neighborhoods.

As the president stands quietly on a busy street corner, a little old Jewish man comes shuffling along. Bush approaches him and whispers "Nu,Vus Tutzuch?"

The old guy whispers back, "Did you hear that putz Bush is in Brooklyn?"
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Hah, that's pretty funny.

I imagined a Mel Brooks looking guy saying that, lol.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Hey TopHatter... If you're still looking for MRE's... And if I ever go home (Avoiding it... :D ) I can get you some. Or just go to Stanley's Army/Navy or Jim's (one's on Palm Beach Blvd. and the other is on Pine Island Rd.) and buy some.

Comment

Thanks AmerMarine!
                      I've always wondered though about the MRE's you find in Army/Navy stores....although I guess the MRE is pretty much indestructable

Comment

American Marine, where in Florida do you live?

Comment

Cape Coral if I'm ever there..

Comment

Working...
                          X