Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian army or the British army? which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key question for anyone joining the Defense Forces (of any Nation) is whether they are looking for a "career" or an "adventure". One involves a long term commitment the other doesn't. You also need to remember that anyone joining the UK or Australian Armies with a view to serving in Afghanistan is pushing a very tight frame since as far as I am aware both nations have publicly committed to pulling out in 2014. Lets say you send in your papers tomorrow - you still have the bureaucracy of the selection process to deal with, then assignment to and completion of the first available "basic" course followed by whatever specialty you've applied for (and hopefully been lucky enough to get).

Taking all that into account it's hard to see anyone joining now making it to Afghanistan in time to do a full tour. So its hard to see anyone whose joining for the "adventure" making it in time. That just leaves the long term career prospects either service offers - which again depends on your interests. If your interests are infantry then the Aussies have one of the best reps in the world for jungle warfare training and a commitment to "peacekeeping ops" in parts of the world where that training can come in useful. If your orientation is more technical (say the armored warfare option mentioned above) then the Brits have a wider range of equipment.

On a side note while both services are scaling back expenditure with the draw down from Afghanistan the Aussie economy is doing better which bodes well for long term investment in things like pay and equipment but either way when it comes to long term military careers in Britain and Australia you place your bets and take your chances. Finally remember this. Joining the British Army means living in England. Joining the Australian Army means living here. So if you like cold weather, bad food, warm beer and terrible cricket - go with the Brits. Alternatively if you like sunshine, great food , cold beer, winning cricket teams and gorgeous women stay here. :) (OK so I'm prejudiced)

Cheers
    Last edited by Monash; 17 Nov 12,, 09:11.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by tayls39 View Post
      I too am also interested in joining either the British army or the Australian army as being a citizen of both countries. Does anyone have an idea of the type of facilities that either one posses as a comparison. Also the rate of pay and benefits. I've been talking to a person who works in recruitment and tells me that in order to enter officers training I would have to reside in the UK for at least 1 year. Can anyone confirm or deny this. Also the age restriction for both armies. I'm working through a degree and wish to enter after I finish and would like to find out which is easier to enter officers training with these factors. Although I'm not as enthusiastic to be faced with a tour of duty, I do consider it as something that must be done if you ever wish to have a career in the armed forces.

To put it simply if it is combat experience or even a decent possibility of it you want go UK but if it is decent conditions a good pay go Aus.

Comment

Haha all I've heard is that girls from the UK are easy. But my main focus IS a career in the army and am looking for the best possible chance for career enhancement whether those chances are heightened within either of those armed forces. But in saying that I wouldn't want to choose a type of job which may leave me overlooked in some way whether this is better in the UK or here.

Comment

When I saw this three year old thread come to life, I was POSITIVE that it was another one of those damned spammers who invaded in the last three days... and it wasn't!

Tayls, being a USA kind of guy, my advice is meaningless, but I do want to say good luck to you, and whichever you choose, you'll end up in a top-notch army.

Comment

tayls,

What branch of the army you want to join? Answer that and the answer might pop-up by itself.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Tip: forget the reserves. Right now is as close as it is to when I decided the outlook would have invariably embittered my personal outlook on life - and I mean that - with regards to direction and outlook. There are a lot of people out there that have been caught up in lifestyle options that can't leave because of the dead economy or those positions don't exist, that can't do what they signed up to because funding has been stripped. Just to drive home a point/provide an example.... when the Government cuts the duty hours of the reserves by 3/4ths - that is a massive red flag to me (excuse the pun).

The Gillard government is destroying in a very personal way the life outlook of many that is permeating the culture greater than what I can remember in a long time. I'd think carefully... whether or not I wanted the attitude that arises out of that hanging around in my head.
              Ego Numquam

Comment

Word on the street is that the US Army is the best . Just throwin that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by dan m View Post
                  Word on the street is that the US Army is the best . Just throwin that out there.
                  I'm sure the word best can be debated

Comment

Uh, I hope you simply forgot the winkie or smilie, denoting your post as friendly banter. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      Uh, I hope you simply forgot the winkie or smilie, denoting your post as friendly banter. Right?
                      Yeah I forget the winkie or smile. I was just bantering

Comment

It seems most of the good jobs require you to go to ADFA anyway, Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by tayls39 View Post
                          It seems most of the good jobs require you to go to ADFA anyway, Crazy.
                          What jobs are you interested in?

Comment

As a former rifle company commander in the US Army and having a lot of experience with the Army I can say we are pretty good.

But so are the Aussies, the Brits, Canadians, Kiwis, Poles, Germans, French....need I go on?
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

We are good. 0 casualties in Iraq and A-stan. Woot, woot.

Just don't engage us at home, then we suck.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                As a former rifle company commander in the US Army and having a lot of experience with the Army I can say we are pretty good.

But so are the Aussies, the Brits, Canadians, Kiwis, Poles, Germans, French....need I go on?

I was just kidding , there is no doubt in my mind that the armies of the Commonwealth and NATO are good too.

Comment

Working...
                                X