This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    I know all of this... hence my question was only on human loaders vs gun angle at loading... :(

Btw, not sure on weight... yes, the mechanism is heavy, but, afaik, it allows for a smaller turret...
    Smaller turret equals fewer rounds. Also it usually mean lower gun barrel depression which reduces the options for engaging from defilade. That is one of the advantages of the M60 and M1. They can fire from defilade and expose much less of themselves than a Warsaw Pact tank. A taller turret allows more room.

I believe all of the answers I gave outweigh any possible advantages of an autoloader.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      I know all of this... hence my question was only on human loaders vs gun angle at loading... :(

Btw, not sure on weight... yes, the mechanism is heavy, but, afaik, it allows for a smaller turret...
      No, we cannot load the gun at any angle. In the Abrams the loader has a switch called the EL Uncouple. Flip the switch and the gun goes to zero elevation in relation to the turret floor. The gunner and commander are still free to hunt and computer will put the gun back on target once the round is loaded.

The big advantage of the autoloader is peacetime costs. An autloader is a fixed cost, sure there are some maintenance costs but for the most part, once you buy it, the costs are done. Say you have a tank fleet that is 1000 strong. Normally you'd need to train 4000 tankers to get the fleet operational and then X number of tankers a year to compensate for the tankers leaving military service. Each trooper has to be fed, housed, trained, provided medical care, etc... By switching to 3 man crews, you cut the personnel costs significantly. For Russia with its massive tank fleet and ruinous 25% turnover ever 6 months, a 3 man crew makes a lot of economic sense. Likewise, if you have a small technically skilled population, a 3 man tank, even in a small tank fleet makes sense.

The down side is combat... Tanks are fragile egotistical beasts, don't treat them just as you should and they will throw a tempertantrum and shut down. Now in a 4 man tank, you have 3 people to care for the beast. The commander will help out as he can, but he has other duties. So you have 3x24 hours a day (72 man hours) Lets say your average combat day on the move is 30 man hours of movement. Every other task has to fall in the remaining 42 hours, maintenance, guard mount, briefings, food, sleep, showers, refueling/re-arming. If you want each man to get 6 hours to sleep and eat (with a 2 hour guard mount), you have now used up an additional 24 hours. You now have 18 man hours left for everything else.

A 3 man crew only has 2 people for 48 man hours a day. Movement is 20 hours, sleeping, eating and guard mount uses another 16 for a total of 32. They have 16 hours left, 2 fewer than the 3 man crew. Yet they have even more moving parts to deal with and a lot of the tasks that need to be done are a lot harder because tanks are heavy and tank parts are heavy. With fewer bodies to help certain things take longer and cost more energy. Which of course begins to amplify the lack of sleep making tasks harder and longer... It also makes combat reflexes slower. See first, shoot first, win. A big if often unnoticed part of that maxim is beign in fighting trim physically and mentally.

The US Army moved 400 miles in 2 weeks in enough fighting trim to storm Baghdad. A Russian force that tried it would have fallen asleep out of sheer exhaustion by Karbala.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
        No, we cannot load the gun at any angle. In the Abrams the loader has a switch called the EL Uncouple. Flip the switch and the gun goes to zero elevation in relation to the turret floor. The gunner and commander are still free to hunt and computer will put the gun back on target once the round is loaded.
        Ah... so that's it. I imagine others will have something similar. Thanks.

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        The big advantage of the autoloader is peacetime costs. An autloader is a fixed cost, sure there are some maintenance costs but for the most part, once you buy it, the costs are done. Say you have a tank fleet that is 1000 strong. Normally you'd need to train 4000 tankers to get the fleet operational and then X number of tankers a year to compensate for the tankers leaving military service. Each trooper has to be fed, housed, trained, provided medical care, etc... By switching to 3 man crews, you cut the personnel costs significantly. For Russia with its massive tank fleet and ruinous 25% turnover ever 6 months, a 3 man crew makes a lot of economic sense. Likewise, if you have a small technically skilled population, a 3 man tank, even in a small tank fleet makes sense.

The down side is combat... Tanks are fragile egotistical beasts, don't treat them just as you should and they will throw a tempertantrum and shut down. Now in a 4 man tank, you have 3 people to care for the beast. The commander will help out as he can, but he has other duties. So you have 3x24 hours a day (72 man hours) Lets say your average combat day on the move is 30 man hours of movement. Every other task has to fall in the remaining 42 hours, maintenance, guard mount, briefings, food, sleep, showers, refueling/re-arming. If you want each man to get 6 hours to sleep and eat (with a 2 hour guard mount), you have now used up an additional 24 hours. You now have 18 man hours left for everything else.

A 3 man crew only has 2 people for 48 man hours a day. Movement is 20 hours, sleeping, eating and guard mount uses another 16 for a total of 32. They have 16 hours left, 2 fewer than the 3 man crew. Yet they have even more moving parts to deal with and a lot of the tasks that need to be done are a lot harder because tanks are heavy and tank parts are heavy. With fewer bodies to help certain things take longer and cost more energy. Which of course begins to amplify the lack of sleep making tasks harder and longer... It also makes combat reflexes slower. See first, shoot first, win. A big if often unnoticed part of that maxim is beign in fighting trim physically and mentally.

The US Army moved 400 miles in 2 weeks in enough fighting trim to storm Baghdad. A Russian force that tried it would have fallen asleep out of sheer exhaustion by Karbala.
        These I knew, and all make sense (and add the possibility of the autoloader breaking down in combat). I just didn't know the other part.

Comment

• Back to the quiz. Took a while but here goes.

When was the last time a longbow was used to kill an enemy soldier?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Back to the quiz. Took a while but here goes.

When was the last time a longbow was used to kill an enemy soldier?
            Perhaps someone killed by Jack Churchill?

Comment

• Correct

As in the link May 1940

Comment

• Ok...

I make my own road as I move foward. And others can follow. What am I?

Comment

• Well you could be referring to one of Hobart's Funnies, the Churchill Bobbin tank...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart...VRE-Bobbin.jpg

A Rome plow from Viet Nam days...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_plow

Or more simply Roman Legions, who built roads throughout the extension of the Roman Empire for armies, as well as commerce, to move.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Well you could be referring to one of Hobart's Funnies, the Churchill Bobbin tank...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart...VRE-Bobbin.jpg
                    This one, you win.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	phantom gun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	1468535

Name this...
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Name this...

The result of leaving these two beside each other in the motorpool over a long weekend ;>)

I'll give a non arty guy a chance to give the nomenclature

Click image for larger version

Name:	m114.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1468539Click image for larger version

Name:	m24.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1468540
                        Last edited by Gun Grape; 01 Apr 16,, 00:38. Reason: oops wrong clankey thing

Comment

• Nice dirty mind, Gunny.

I am inspired!

BTW, where was that photo taken?

And telling by the box trail I would say that is a British 25 pounder next in line past the M1?
                          Last edited by Albany Rifles; 01 Apr 16,, 14:44.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Nice dirty mind, Gunny.

I am inspired!

BTW, where was that photo taken?

And telling by the box trail I would say that is a British 25 pounder next in line past the M1?
                            Don't know. Pulled both photos from a google search

Comment

• OK my guess is that the weapon in question is the

M-41 155mm Howitzer Motor Carriage.

Comment

• Yup you got it!

All yours!
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X