Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran Unveils Iranian "S-300" on Army Day

Iran Unveils Iranian "S-300" on Army Day

During the military parade on Army Day in Iran, what looks very much like an Iranian variant of the Russian S-300 air defense system was on display
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

mmmmmmmmm
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

nnnnnnnn
      Attached Files

Comment

They look more like Chinese HQ-9 than S-300PMU2.

They are mock ups, I have no doubt in my mind they are all 55 gallon barrels welded together.

If you look closely you won't even see any TEL. Trucks look too light for carrying such a dynamic stress of the launch. You can't even see any indication of load on the tires.

When I see the footage of actual launch and consequent interception of a fast moving target in high altitude I will believe it. Until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
          They look more like Chinese HQ-9 than S-300PMU2.
          Diameter looks bigger than the HQ-9

They are mock ups, I have no doubt in my mind they are all 55 gallon barrels welded together.[/quote]

way too big for 55 gallon drums, and a mock up would not need the reinforcing bands.

If you look closely you won't even see any TEL.
          Possibly, but not conclusive, need more pics.

Trucks look too light for carrying such a dynamic stress of the launch. You can't even see any indication of load on the tires.
          It might not be loaded.

When I see the footage of actual launch and consequent interception of a fast moving target in high altitude I will believe it. Until then.
          Ditto, but now we are looking.

Comment

Z,

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Diameter looks bigger than the HQ-9

They are mock ups, I have no doubt in my mind they are all 55 gallon barrels welded together.
            way too big for 55 gallon drums, and a mock up would not need the reinforcing bands.

Possibly, but not conclusive, need more pics.

It might not be loaded.

Ditto, but now we are looking.[/QUOTE]

I meant it looks more like HQ-9, not identical

The 55 Gal. barrels comment was a tad of exaggeration in my part. But the welded seems are obvious, look just aft of the first reinforcement band on the lower silo, then go farther aft and look at the blue area, the welded area sections are clearly visible.

I still fail to believe the TEL and all the related bulky hardware can be concealed within the confined space between tubes and the truck's bed.

Comment

I meant it looks more like HQ-9, not identical

The 55 Gal. barrels comment was a tad of exaggeration in my part. But the welded seems are obvious, look just aft of the first reinforcement band on the lower silo, then go farther aft and look at the blue area, the welded area sections are clearly visible.

I still fail to believe the TEL and all the related bulky hardware can be concealed within the confined space between tubes and the truck's bed.
              Agreed; you can see the weld seams all the way down the tube at regular intervals.

Also, half of that stuff look like copies of Western military equipment; in particular, the camouflaged missles look like exact copies of our old Hawk AA missles, and the FAV looks like an exact copy of our Special Forces Chenowth DPV.
              Last edited by Stitch; 21 Apr 10,, 18:25.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Yup but that doesn't by itself mean anything. Long tubes are not exactly rocket science and Iran can make pipeline.

Possibly, but the axles are low so there is room for the bed to drop inside the skirting. I do notice the stabilizers off the back.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Yup but that doesn't by itself mean anything. Long tubes are not exactly rocket science and Iran can make pipeline.
                  Upon further reflection, it occured to me that a launch tube (silo?), as you say z, doesn't need to be "rocket science"; all it needs to do is guide the rocket (missile?) during the initial boost phase for a couple of seconds, no more, and the rest is up to the missile.
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Umm...is that a white flag at the tip of the barrel? I thought that's more of a standard equipment for the French.
                    Attached Files
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

What's with the tie-down?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        What's with the tie-down?
                        Pretty high-tech, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          the camouflaged missles look like exact copies of our old Hawk AA missles,
                          I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were leftover Hawks. I believe Iran bought around 150 launchers?

They even tried to put Hawks on Tomcats...
                          IRIAF Tomcats

And what's the deal with the 2nd pic: the trooper kneeling with "something" on his face/head? Is that a camera?!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                            Agreed; you can see the weld seams all the way down the tube at regular intervals.

Also, half of that stuff look like copies of Western military equipment; in particular, the camouflaged missles look like exact copies of our old Hawk AA missles, and the FAV looks like an exact copy of our Special Forces Chenowth DPV.
                            Actually it is copy of the Hawk, I think they call it I-Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                              And what's the deal with the 2nd pic: the trooper kneeling with "something" on his face/head? Is that a camera?!
                              Good eye! I didn't even see that. It looks like a night vision scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X