No announcement yet.

Time's up on Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Iranians I've read on the internet have always struck me as fans of a sports team that's mostly hated by everyone else chanting "no one likes us, we don't care". :))

Unfortunately, on other message boards I'm increasingly feeling in that role myself as an American. :(
    Last edited by rj1; 23 Oct 09,, 15:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by rj1 View Post
      All Iranians I've read on the internet have always struck me as fans of a sports team that's mostly hated by everyone else chanting "no one likes us, we don't care". :))

Unfortunately, on other message boards I'm increasingly feeling in that role myself as an American. :(
      Lonely at the top my friend. Atleast we have allies.;):)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by rj1 View Post
        What do you mean? Your president just won the nobel peace prize!

Might have seen your point a few years ago, but ever since you elected Obama, Americas 'cool' again!

Comment

• The BBC is reporting that France(of all countries!!!!) is warning Iran.. Apparently Iran does not like the plan to process nuclear waste in Russia and France.
          "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
            Might have seen your point a few years ago, but ever since you elected Obama, Americas 'cool' again!
            No we're not. For example, Obama made the calculation coming in that if he talked to the Europeans and respected their input they would agree to acquiesce to our country's needs in various things such as military and fiscal items, and Obama received the same response Bush did on things.

Comment

• 15 milion Basijis (500 thousand of which were stronger than that "mighty army" of Saddam).

*Yeah, you mean those fat slobs in the street beating inncocent people with clubs and murdering young women because they protested a sham election that was visited upon them from the highest ranks of what you call "leadership" and we call a complete lunitic religious joke?

The poor people in the street werent afraid of them what makes you think anyones forces particularly US or NATO would fear them. Tell them to stick with their day jobs. They're nothing more then foot soldiers for those afraid to do their own bidding because their cowards. You cant even call them a bunch of "has beens" because they never were anything before.

So please do tell us that even if the membership numbers are true, why is Iran ranked at #18 if they are such a "terrible" force?

Answer: They arent. Militarily, Iran didnt win the war, So your illusion that the Iranian forces and Basijis (500 thousand of which were stronger than that "mighty army" of Saddam) didnt win the war either.

*So what makes you think they would stand a chance against one of the most technologically advanced forces on the planet in this day and age.;)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kermanshahi View Post
                Being a soldier doesn't mean you get to know everything. American propganda reaches all their citizens and those in their puppet states and I've always had a view that these military types are exactly the ones to believe it.

I wasn't aware that the Colonel had ordered a new chew toy. I predict a short lifespan.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

*So what makes you think they would stand a chance against one of the most technologically advanced forces on the planet in this day and age.;)
                  Dellusionment.

Can't say I'll be terribly suprised by the outcome either. You can bet on it too, litterally-think I may put some money down on monday.
                  Ego Numquam

Comment

• Dreadnought,

i am no advocating anybody but i would state that geography of Iran is not the same with Iraq.

i think any regular armys(some exceptions dont breake the rule) would be in big trouble while fighting (at least trying) against US & its allies regular armys in the open ground.

but Iran's geography is far from a "open ground" and it may prove much more difficult to fight (or invade) than Iraq.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K View Post
                      Dreadnought,

i am no advocating anybody but i would state that geography of Iran is not the same with Iraq.

i think any regular armys(some exceptions dont breake the rule) would be in big trouble while fighting (at least trying) against US & its allies regular armys in the open ground.

but Iran's geography is far from a "open ground" and it may prove much more difficult to fight (or invade) than Iraq.
                      Which would be one of the many reasons for America to not actually invade, which would be in turn where all this started
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• I still think that if Afganistan and Iraq were not on the table right now, an Iran invasion would be more than imminent.

But I don't think that this would be a good idea. I still don't think an invasion will solve anything, we will just see a repeat of Afganistan and Iraq all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastagir View Post
                          I still think that if Afganistan and Iraq were not on the table right now, an Iran invasion would be more than imminent.

But I don't think that this would be a good idea. I still don't think an invasion will solve anything, we will just see a repeat of Afganistan and Iraq all over again.
                          Which is why the US (or anyone else) won't invade. They will simply bomb Iranian infrastructure (military, civillian, nuclear) until they have accomplished whatever it is they have set out to accomplish. Apart from some SPECOPS boys running around spotting targets I wouldn't expect US troops to set foot on Iranian soil.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Which is why the US (or anyone else) won't invade. They will simply bomb Iranian infrastructure (military, civillian, nuclear) until they have accomplished whatever it is they have set out to accomplish. Apart from some SPECOPS boys running around spotting targets I wouldn't expect US troops to set foot on Iranian soil.
                            And therein lies the problem. Although bunker buster bombs of the conventional kind do exist - they rely on striking through to critical areas. The only sure way to stop development is to nuke - basically - suspected development sites that is. Thats unlikely to happen - so to me the end game is even more misery for Iran and no bomb or more misery from Iran and a bomb/s which it might not even be able to use and probably test anyway.

Sure the U.S has a lot of hurt packed up it's sleeve - but my god it will be costly, hence my heavy preference for diplomacy.
                            Ego Numquam

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                              And therein lies the problem. Although bunker buster bombs of the conventional kind do exist - they rely on striking through to critical areas. The only sure way to stop development is to nuke - basically - suspected development sites that is. Thats unlikely to happen - so to me the end game is even more misery for Iran and no bomb or more misery from Iran and a bomb/s which it might not even be able to use and probably test anyway.

Sure the U.S has a lot of hurt packed up it's sleeve - but my god it will be costly, hence my heavy preference for diplomacy.
                              My preference too, but it relies on Iran being prepared to put aside its nuclear ambitions. Unfortunately I suspect that the government there is more interested in power than prosperity. As long as that is the case Iranians will suffer, one way or another.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunder View Post

If we accept that, in the "military solution" the bombing of vital sites is "the best" option, Iran won't respond in exactly the same way as in a convensional invasion (attacks on neighbours, U.S military bases in the area, ect)? I mean that, if worst come to worst, no matter how sever or light a military strike is, Iran will retaliate in full force. (this is why I put my full faith in diplomacy)

Furthermore, I get the impression Israel has a lot less qualms about a direct attack. Can the U.S put a stop to that (if it want's that) or we have another example of a state whose action somewhat defies the will of it's major ally? So my question is, what is the level of influence the U.S has on Israel?

Edit to Bigfella: I still believe that if there were no threats from Israel or the U.S to Iran and the recent examples of Afganistan and Iraq invasions, the Iranian leadership would be less paranoid. I do not whitewash them, I just say that they are justified to be afraid and seek another card up their sleeve. I know most people will disagree with me but I think the U.S putting pressure on Israel to relinquish it's nuclear arsenal might be a good first step.
                                Last edited by Rastagir; 24 Oct 09,, 14:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X