Islamist Militants Take Mosul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Whatever US did there for 10 years falls apart.
    but it should not be a surprise...

theres 2 possibilities,

1st-it was a failure from the beginning.

entering Iraq on false accusations (ghost WMD's), de-stabilising it by destroying its dictator (like it or not it was more stable although i am no way a fan of saddam) obviously without having a clue about its inner dynamics.

it is like expecting a 5 yrs old childs sand-castle to endure the waves of ocean...

2nd- these are part of a big scheme. leaving Iraq to the hands of a puppet govt. and watching it divide with because!?! of its own inner dynamics (Shia-Sunni-Kurd-Turcoman and etc.)

in anycase this should not be a surprise
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Big K...

According to Kurdish sources, Turkey was informed on June 6 (or June 7 at the latest) that ISIS was about to overrun Mosul.

If this is true, I have no idea why the Turkish Consulate in Mosul was not evacuated. Any ideas?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        well if Iran ever goes in, there goes plausible deniability...plus Maliki would look like a puppet.

the homegrown Shia groups would probably be not so happy about Iranian intervention as well.
        Maliki might prefer looking like a puppet to having his head put on a pike or being left with only a Shia rump to rule over. Homegrown Shias might think much the same. I assume any intervention by conventional Iranian forces would be by invitation.

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        I'm not sure that they have the capacity with Syria going on or the ability to retake large areas from ISIL. If they did they would have demonstrated it in Syria.
        Driving a few divisions across the border & flying planes from your own airfields is a bit different to what they could potentially do in Syria.

The Iranians might make a play if they can gain much greater influence in Iraq. This is exactly what the Iraqis don't want (even Maliki) and why they will not ask Iran to interfere.
        See my comments to Astralis.

There's zero benefit that Iran can really bring.

A: Maliki has what he needs in terms of equipment. His problem is with morale and competency of the army.
        B: ISIL is not going to hold territory in the Shia parts of Iraq
        C: Even with Iranian help the Shias will not be able to pacify Sunni territory. In fact, Iranian involvement will make the situation even worse for them because it will incense the remaining Sunnis in the government camp.
        A: Iran can supply troops who won't fold like a poker hand at the sight of a black flag.
        B: I don't imagine Maliki's vision of Iraq is one where he rules the Shia south while an extremist Sunni state sets up camp just north of Baghdad.
        C: I think he's already lost a lot of Sunnis - they are flocking to ISIS. Iranian forces would help defeat the more conventional ISIS forces & the 'pacification' would end up being his job.

Right now clearly the Iraqis prefer a more effective and less costly (for the Iraqis) US intervention to an Iranian intervention.
        I'm sure they do, but right now the US isn't exactly rushing to bail them out.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

What happened with those 3 Al Quds batallions Iran sent yesterday?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Guidlines (in Arabic) issued by ISIS to the people of Mosul.

No drinking, no drugs, respect prayer times, thieves will have their hands amputated, women must stay indoors and wear modest attire, yada, yada, yada.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              Big K...

According to Kurdish sources, Turkey was informed on June 6 (or June 7 at the latest) that ISIS was about to overrun Mosul.

If this is true, I have no idea why the Turkish Consulate in Mosul was not evacuated. Any ideas?
              did you see my post about Erdogan's son with ISIS's commanders?

we believe these types are supported by Turkish govt
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
                did you see my post about Erdogan's son with ISIS's commanders?

we believe these types are supported by Turkish govt
                Why would ISIS hold 80 Turks hostage if they are supported by Turkey?

Turkish elections are only 2 months away. This seems a bit embarrassing for Erdogan.
                sigpic

Comment

Why would ISIS hold 80 Turks hostage if they are supported by Turkey?

Turkish elections are only 2 months away. This seems a bit embarrassing for Erdogan.
                  no, not at all.

things work a bit differently in Turkey.

you tell the normal....

80 hostages means = we are victims so we have nothing to do with these "terrorists"

elections closing = Erdogan will "rescue"! and will be a hero......

Iran is one of Turkeys arch-enemies due to its historical position.

so if Iran sent his troops than you can believe that Turkey is at other end of conflict...

Opposition party, CHP in Turkey is already showing evidences about ISIS warriors backed up by Turkish govt.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    What happened with those 3 Al Quds batallions Iran sent yesterday?
                    Strength of those forces depends on source. I've seen numbers anywhere from 150 men upwards. Considering the SOF layout, any higher number looks rather noncredible. One unit supposedly in Baghdad, one in Najaf and Kerbala, and one supposedly embedded as OMLT with the Iraqi forces that retook Tikrit. Manpower in particular for the holy sites Najaf and Kerbala is apparently more or less provided by Iraqi Shia volunteers, Al Quds would probably rather act as advisors and force multipliers (FACs?) if the shit hits the fan. Although unlike what RT muses about, i rather doubt air strikes in support of IRGC troops would come from the USAF or USN...

Iran has supposedly ordered its air force to begin strikes on ISIS troops if they come within 100 km of the border. That amounts to pretty much a blanket support guarantee should ISIS further venture into Iraqi Kurdish lands, but rather explicitly excludes Baghdad (whose easternmost suburbs begin right around that 100 km marker).

Comment

And this is why a strong Shia state is a good thing strategically to off set the wacked-a-doodle wahabist supported Sunni Jihadis. With Obama unwilling to act, Turkey trying apper tough but unwilling to act, KSA (and Qatar) funding ISIS, Iran is civilizations best hope to stop the emergence of a Sunni Caliphate.

Comment

The scum in their own words and deeds.

Z,we've came a long way since 2009 wrt Iran,inshallah

Now if only some powers would start cutting ties with states in the Arab peninsula that sponsor terrorism.
                        Last edited by Mihais; 14 Jun 14,, 07:38.
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post

Z,we've came a long way since 2009 wrt Iran,inshallah

Now if only some powers would start cutting ties with states in the Arab peninsula that sponsor terrorism.
                          They are fucking barbarians.

Comment

Witnesses from Mosul say hundreds have been executed and left to rot on roadways.
                            UN alarmed by claims of mass execution of Shia soldiers by Isis forces
                            June 14, 2014

As rebel forces advanced towards Baghdad, reports began to emerge of summary mass executions carried out in territory they controlled. Videos were posted purporting to show some of the killings and in one Twitter account, believed to be controlled by the rebel forces, it was claimed that 1,700 Shia soldiers had been executed.
                            Source
                            sigpic

Comment

Who told them to surrender?

I take this report with a grain of salt,but it sounds reasonably credible Iraqi Air Force evacuating besieged U.S. contractors
                              Those who know don't speak
                              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                                Interesting community outreach video. Rather tame on the surface too, i would have expected it to be a lot more preachifying. The recruiting ad at the end appears a bit counterproductive though.

Comment

Working...
                                X