Russia-Venezuela naval exercises begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia-Venezuela naval exercises begin

I dont have too many posts under my belt, but I figured since (as far as I've seen) no one else has commented on this yet, I would ask you guys for your opinions.

London Times story

Is it big news that one of the Kirovs is out on maneuvers? Or just the media hyping it up? Does this cause America to change its naval strength in the Caribbean at all? Any other comments?

Its times like these I wish we could send an Iowa down there just to counter them.

I don't want to make fun of the Russians, but any time a major Russian warship steams on the high seas and not blow up is an accomplishment. It's not that Russians suck at building ships. It's just that their equipment has fallen under disrepair, and may need to build up a new naval tradition over a decade or so to have an efficient fleet.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

If Peter the Great is at sea heading towards Venezuala then you can pretty much bet the remaining 3 ships of the class are home in pieces. You dont take a ship like that on such a trek without spares incase something were to go wrong that far away from home port and she has not been that far out of port since I believe her building.;)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I see they sent a tug with it, good thing ;)
        "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
        -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
          I dont have too many posts under my belt, but I figured since (as far as I've seen) no one else has commented on this yet, I would ask you guys for your opinions.

London Times story

Is it big news that one of the Kirovs is out on maneuvers? Or just the media hyping it up? Does this cause America to change its naval strength in the Caribbean at all? Any other comments?

Its times like these I wish we could send an Iowa down there just to counter them.
          Wait, this thing can carry 500 antiaircraft missiles? Can someone explain this to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
            Wait, this thing can carry 500 antiaircraft missiles? Can someone explain this to me?
            That probably includes the reloads and shorter ranged SAMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
              Wouldn't doubt it.

The Kirovs are fat on missiles especially like Skywatcher said, the shorter range SAMs
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Using the same logic, a US cruiser can theoretically carry 488 missiles. (4 ESSM per VLS tube).

Comment

Battlecruiser Peter the Great at sea

The topic of this thead, sounds like some action-packed sci-fi episode on tv

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                    The topic of this thead, sounds like some action-packed sci-fi episode on tv
                    ;)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

a Kirov was a good match for an early Ticonderoga.. unfortunatley for Russia, we've decomissioned all 5 of them and sunk atleast one of them in an exercise.. the Kirov class is no match for our newer Ticonderoga and Arleigh Burkes in capability.. all it has is more range since it's nuclear powered..

Comment

Originally posted by IDonT View Post
                        Using the same logic, a US cruiser can theoretically carry 488 missiles. (4 ESSM per VLS tube).
                        nice.. someone knows how many VLS cells are in the VLS ticonderogas.. not many people I'd think would discount the 3 cells per module that are taken up by the crane..

Comment

I thought they got rid of the cranes

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            Wouldn't doubt it.

The Kirovs are fat on missiles especially like Skywatcher said, the shorter range SAMs
                            Hi TopHatter, do you know how long does it takes to reload the SAMs at US/Russian cruisers/destroyers?

Comment

Originally posted by IDonT View Post
                              At the expense of any Harpoons and TLAMs.

The Pyotr Velikiy can also carry 20 "Shipwrecks" as well, plus ASW torpedoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X