2017 Manchester Arena Bombing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”.
    It is curious that the first part of this quote you posted...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    ...refers specifically to a negative potentiality of a democratic system - tyranny of the majority, implying it to be a bad thing - yet you and others on this thread have advocated precisely the same - tyranny of the majority with regards to the treatment of a minority population.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Ok.How can you avoid that?Your own history has this unavoidable situation.You had a civil war and the winners forced their views on the losers.

That is the case very rarely,but democracy is not perfect.Going back in time,it occured at regular times in ancient Greek history.
      Fact is some crises cannot be solved within constitutional(in the general,not US specific) means.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• I simply don't know what to say anymore about this topic so...back to the morgue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          Ok.How can you avoid that?Your own history has this unavoidable situation.You had a civil war and the winners forced their views on the losers.

That is the case very rarely,but democracy is not perfect.Going back in time,it occured at regular times in ancient Greek history.
          Fact is some crises cannot be solved within constitutional(in the general,not US specific) means.
          Speaking generally here, yes - it has happened and continues to happen in the US. The safeguards against tyranny of the majority are not perfect. Just because bad things happen in other countries does not legitimize them in others.

If you want to discuss the US Civil War - go to the history section. I'm sure Albany will mattern the event you're planning to derail onto that matter.

Often times when people criticize or dissent from a government policy or act - you get idiotic ststatement such as "if you don't like it, move to [insert country name here]" or its not as bad as what happens in [insert country name here]."

Basically what these sort of people are saying, is that doing bad things is OK, just because they have an example of somebody doing something worse. These people have no grasp on the concept of logic.
          Last edited by Ironduke; 29 May 17,, 17:49.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Speaking generally here, yes - it has happened and continues to happen in the US. The safeguards against tyranny of the majority are not perfect. Just because bad things happen in other countries does not legitimize them in others.

If you want to discuss the US Civil War - go to the history section. I'm sure Albany will mattern the event you're planning to derail onto that matter.

Often times when people criticize or dissent from a government policy or act - you get idiotic ststatement such as "if you don't like it, move to [insert country name here]" or its not as bad as what happens in [insert country name here]."

Basically what these sort of people are saying, is that doing bad things is OK, just because they have an example of somebody doing something worse. These people have no grasp on the concept of logic.
            Ok, I would like to get one thing clear, regarding my view or stance if you like.

What I think has happened, is that due to geopolitical interests, namely to contain Russia and discovery of oil, West has unintentionally resurrected the Islamic Caliphate. Since, in essence, has no idea what it is, West has used it successfully against Russia and to some extent to help Israel gets its story going. On the other hand, Russians, since they have been brainwashed by communism, forgot what the Islamic Caliphate is and treated it the same way as the West did, but for its own cause. In that light, both West and Russia, feed the beast and it grew stronger and stronger and now it is coming into the light. It has learned a lot, it knows the strengths and weaknesses of both parties and it plays them like a fiddle. The recent incident with the Erdogan and his security beating up the protesters on the US soil, clearly shows that. So according to that, my stance is that we have 200 million men army, currently engaged across the globe in a fight to bring the whole world under its domination.
            Last edited by Versus; 30 May 17,, 06:48.

Comment

Nah,just looking at analogies.It ain't about US.My point is simply that if a really serious crisis happens in any society or type of government,exceptional solutions become acceptable.
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                I refuse to discuss this with someone who believes genocide is a "correct action."
                When did you become pro-Life and anti abortion clinics in inner city neighborhoods?

Comment

Tell me more. You are speaking authoritatively, so I have to ask if you've been there yourself and observed things firsthand, or are merely offering conjecture and interpretations based on something you've read.
                  Something i've read written by people who spent more than a couple weeks in Bangalore....

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-3

That being said, there is a problem, which is that the Saudis have been funneling billions of their oil money into proslyetization of their radical sect, and indoctrinating youths in countries across the world for decades now. Many in the West have come to equate Islam with Wahabbism, and even retroactively conflated the entirety of Islam and its history with a sect that was virtually unknown on the world stage until after WWII.

Until the post-war period, Wahhabism was just a particularly odd sect hailing from the deep interior of Arabia, whom then happened to take Mecca/Medina from the Hashemites in the 1920s, and later were found to be living on top of massive deposits of oil. Now they have spent tens billions indoctrinating tens of millions of youths in desperately poor countries. This is the problem. Not Islam itself.
                  Now you are making my argument against Salafism....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    Re Thucydides superb 'Melian dialogue' (https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/melian.htm) Plato, in the mouth of Socrates (of whom Plato was a student) proved that might is not always right. I know the later Socratic students (and Plato himself) are thought to be opposed to the democracy in Athens at the time - and some definitely were - but that does not mean they endorsed solutions such as the Melian one. By the way some Melians survived the Athenian victory during the Peloponnesian War and returned to the Island on the conclusion of the war. They massacred the Athenian settlers.

Comment

• The Eastern Roman Empire failed to remove the Turk settlers.Spain did removed the Moorish ones.
                      Which one is around these days?

Wrt Greeks,I don't see the resemblance of the Melian case with our subject.
                      Is more the case of "...the surest way to cause discord in a polis is letting strangers settling in."

Comment

• I would argue that both the Eastern Roman Empire and the Spanish fought for hundreds of years against the Turks (in the first case) and the Moors; just different results. Neither wanted the Muslims and both fought as well as they could to stop the invaders and counter them. That's war. Melos was not involved in the Peloponnesian War; it hadn't taken sides so the Athenian assault and subsequent enslavement of them was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          Re Thucydides superb 'Melian dialogue' (https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/melian.htm) Plato, in the mouth of Socrates (of whom Plato was a student) proved that might is not always right. I know the later Socratic students (and Plato himself) are thought to be opposed to the democracy in Athens at the time - and some definitely were - but that does not mean they endorsed solutions such as the Melian one. By the way some Melians survived the Athenian victory during the Peloponnesian War and returned to the Island on the conclusion of the war. They massacred the Athenian settlers.
                          Yes it is :)

Comment

• More arrests have taken place in moss side in Manchester a place of ill repute . Manchesters bronx lol

Comment

• Do any of you mongs even know where Manchester is? I really don't give a redundant fuck about socrates, plato..the sodomites etc...22 people are dead and the next twat that says it has anything to do with western intevention better duck. !!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                                Do any of you mongs even know where Manchester is? I really don't give a redundant fuck about socrates, plato..the sodomites etc...22 people are dead and the next twat that says it has anything to do with western intevention better duck. !!!!!!
                                Zackly

Comment

Working...
                                X