This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
    The greater fallacy is the notion that the Yanukovych government will reform fiscal policy from within.
    Then Ukraine will collapse just as Greece has.

Comment

• Originally posted by rj1 View Post
      Then Ukraine will collapse just as Greece has.
      It would have collapsed, but Putin ensured that political/economic reforms remain ephemeral.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Even more reasons to protest, imagine if they continue to get Russian winters instead of EU ones.
        Don't make such a joke, the protesters can take it seriously... It's common for them...

Comment

• Ukraine gov-t under fire from West for sweeping anti-protest laws
          January 17, 2014

Ukrainian leaders are under fire from the West for passing sweeping anti-protest laws amid anti-government demonstrations that have rocked Kiev for nearly two months. Despite noisy protests from the opposition, the Ukrainian parliament, dominated by President Viktor Yanukovych's loyalists, passed a flurry of legislation Thursday that significantly curbs the rights to protest, free speech and the activity of non-governmental organizations. European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said Friday she is "deeply concerned" by the new laws and called on Yanukovych to revise them. The bills have yet to be signed by the president. The U.S. State Department called the laws "undemocratic" and said they contradict Ukraine's aspiration to a European future.
          Source

And on it goes. The Party of Regions conducted a raised-hands vote instead of electronic voting (the difference being that the opposition could have blocked an electronic vote).
          sigpic

Comment

• How the opposition blocks an electronic vote? Electricity blackout, computer virus or what? Just curious a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
              How the opposition blocks an electronic vote? Electricity blackout, computer virus or what? Just curious a bit.
              Not quite sure how it works, but the opposition says it could have blocked the electronic vote via parliamentary procedures. I do know that electronic voting was instituted (identity sensor plus voting keys) to prevent proxy voting. A vote tally by hand seems to violate this safeguard. Yanukovych has signed the draconian measures into law. His longtime Chief of Staff - Serhiy Lyovochkin - has resigned and others are expected to follow.

Katya Gorchinskaya: Welcome to Little Russia
              sigpic

Comment

• Actually, I do not see how a vote by hand may violate any safeguard. If you are a legal member of parliament, you have all legal rights to vote by any method. Am I wrong?

Comment

Actually, I do not see how a vote by hand may violate any safeguard. If you are a legal member of parliament, you have all legal rights to vote by any method. Am I wrong?
                  A (fingerprint) sensor was instituted to prevent proxy/false voting. All raised hands in the Rada were acknowledged from the podium. Who these upraised hands were attached to is... problematic.
                  Last edited by Minskaya; 17 Jan 14,, 22:48.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Don't let any stranger to get into the session hall. Isn't that a decision of the problem? ;)

Comment

Don't let any stranger to get into the session hall. Isn't that a decision of the problem? ;)
                      Good luck with preventing entry for the journalists.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Not decision, "salvation" of course. This is strange forum, no option for edit your own messages, so everyone has to read my ones with all mistakes. :)
                        But, as far as I understand, Yanukovich (his Party of Regions) has the majority in this parliament. So why does does he need to false a voting?

Comment

Not decision, "salvation" of course. This is strange forum, no option for edit your own messages, so everyone has to read my ones with all mistakes. :)
                          You need certain amount of posts to be able to edit I think. Been awhile.

But, as far as I understand, Yanukovich (his Party of Regions) has the majority in this parliament. So why does does he need to false a voting?
                          Not always the ruling party has all of their MPs in the house. Some are abroad, others are sick, some just don't feel like it... you name it.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• The underlying fears of EU proponents are now being realized. Instead of meaningful reform, anti-democratic and repressive measures are enacted. We are on the way to a Lukashenko type government.

Welcome to the Little Russia of Vitya Yanukovych.

sigpic

Comment

Besides the irregular 'showing of hands' vote, there was no stipulation of agenda, no public debate, nor any committee hearings. In other words, a legislative coup.
                              sigpic

Comment

• So, Yanukovich needs the false voting just because some MPs are away? Sounds unreal.
                                Opposition and government in Ukraine are worth each other, no angels and devils. Blocking a vote by electronic means or blocking tribune is not a democracy.

John Kerry, US State Secretary:
                                "We strongly believe that the people of Ukraine want to join and want to be associated with Europe and seek the turn in that direction."
                                unn.com.ua
                                How does he know, actually?

Comment

Working...
                                X