Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    Click bait title. Looks like IDR sourced it from here http://www.newindianexpress.com/thes...642330--2.html

The author isn't familiar to me. China scholars regularly seen on tv are Sreekanth Kondapaly, Jabin Jacob and Alka Acharaya
    Less toxic than the nonsense displayed on globaltimes and other Chinese media. I will raise a toast when the communist dictatorship ends and Tibet is free.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Gradual move. Nothing too dramatic. Anti dumping duty is par for the course even with countries that don't currently have a standoff with China.

See how GT hyped it up. So far China has been quiet on trade sanctions rather its India that seems to be hinting at it. The FM herself in parliament a few weeks ago. India - China trade is around $70 billion with close to 60 in China's favour so huge trade deficit there.

In comparison with other countries, take UK, Cameron meets the Dalai lama in 2012, soon after China puts the UK on a diplomatic freeze for 18 months. When Liu Xiaobo got the nobel peace prize, Norwegian salmon imports to China were sanctioned immediately.
      If bitching could kill. :-)
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Just a gentle reminder to stand vigilant against nonsense Chinese propaganda...

Indian video mocks Xi Jinping after Chinese state media posts 'racist' clip

Videos embedded in the link. Enjoy!
        Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 15:53.

Comment

• Government confirms 'incident' took place between Indian and Chinese troops in Ladakh

"Today, I can confirm that there was an incident at Pangong Tso on August 15," MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said when questioned by reporters about the reported scuffle that involved stone-throwing and fisticuffs.

"Such incidents do not contribute to peace and tranquillity at the border and are not in the interest of either side," he added.
          Questioned about a mocking racist video put out by Chinese official agency, Xinhua, the MEA spokesperson said, "I will not dignify it with a comment."
          In the context of floods in UP, Bihar etc, Raveesh Kumar said that China had not shared hydrological data of transborder rivers like Sutlej and Brahmaputra with India this year. "The data is shared between May and October, but this year it has not happened," he said.
          Okay, this is the reason for the terrible floods this year.
          Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 15:17.

Comment

• Just a gentle reminder to stand vigilant against nonsense Chinese propaganda...

Doklam standoff: China chides Japan for backing India

BEIJING: China on Friday told Japan not to make "random" comments on the Sino-Indian border stand-off even if it wants to support New Delhi.

Japan has rallied behind India over the dragging feud at Doklam, with its envoy Kenji Hiramatsu saying that the region is disputed and Tokyo understands why New Delhi got embroiled in it.

"I have seen the Japanese Ambassador in India really wants to support India. I want to remind him not to randomly make comments before clarifying relevant facts," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said.
            "In the Donglang (Doklam) area, there is no territorial dispute. And the boundary has been delimited and recognized by the two sides," Hua said.

"And the attempt to change the status quo by trespass in the boundary is by India, not China."
            Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 15:53.

Comment

Brief Analysis of Chinese Propaganda during India-China Face-off at Doklum

‘India and Bhutan are questioning the new normal’
              Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 17:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                Less toxic than the nonsense displayed on globaltimes and other Chinese media.
                Bunk is still bunk

Comment

Bunk is still bunk
                  Yes, considering we both have read that before it was posted here. It shows bias and selected propaganda machinery at work. Just like Mr. Bhadrakumar. Truth be told, India lags far far behind than China in propaganda warfare.

You might want to check this out - China’s Propaganda Goes Viral

Btw, when bunk achieves its objectives, it becomes truth.
                  Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 19:30.

Comment

• The Hidden History Behind the Doklam Standoff: Superhighways of Tibetan Trade

Comment

Yes, considering we both have read that before it was posted here. It shows bias and selected propaganda machinery at work. Just like Mr. Bhadrakumar. Truth be told, India lags far far behind than China in propaganda warfare.
                      That is the case with most free countries. Authoritarian regimes need propaganda to survive, being much more vulnerable to competing opinions which are challenges or threats to regime stability.

Btw, when bunk achieves its objectives, it becomes truth.
                      Perhaps but on IDR its going to find many easy marks ;)

one post authored by a serving and ‘informed’ PLA officer, stated that August will be the crucial month for military hostilities as the weather would become too inhospitable thereafter. Another military ‘expert’ recommended that the best time for China to strike India is in August, arguing that “from September weather conditions in the theatre of combat will change and not be conducive for soldiers to survive and fight at such high altitudes”. He said if the two countries are able to prevent the situation from worsening and escalating till September, then the possibility of an armed confrontation could reduce substantially as both countries would have to withdraw troops in September.
                      Looks like this is the plan. Then there is whole winter to ponder and plan about what to do next spring.

Another article attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and ascribed the “rise of Hindu nationalism” as one of the reasons for pushing India and China into another war. The Global Times stated, ““Nationalist fervor that demands revenge against China has taken root in India since the border war. The election of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has fueled the country's nationalist sentiments. Modi took advantage of rising Hindu nationalism to come to power.... The border row this time is an action targeted at China that caters to the demand of India's religious nationalists.”
                      Takes one to know one

Inherent in China’s propaganda offensive is undoubtedly a high level of psywar but China, which has projected itself as a major world power, will not want this image dented. Xi Jinping has also, since he took over in November 2012, used ideology and nationalism to consolidate the Party’s and personal power.
                      And here we have the source for 'limited war'..retired PLA Major General Yao Yunzhu. Even though she refused to go into more detail it still got tongues wagging.

The PLA’s stated position was stiffened by the remarks on July 30, of retired PLA Major General Yao Yunzhu, presently Director Emeritus at the PLA’s prestigious Academy of Military Science (AMS) Centre on ChinaAmerica Defence Relations and whose remarks usually reflect the official Chinese ‘line’. Describing the faceoff as of “unprecedented nature” that could make Beijing look for a strong resolution, she claimed the CCP and the PLA are under “huge pressure” to take strong action against the “invasion”. Yao Yunzhu was quoted as saying “China and India are unlikely to go to war, depending how you define war. If it is very small, if it is a limited-scale military operation against an aggression, it is possible. So, we are talking about very specific military operational issues. What I want to say is that for this Doklam (Donglang) event, Indians have intruded, invaded Chinese territory.

That is something that has to be corrected. That is what I have been stressing.” She added “trespass” is “intolerable”. Saying she is “not going to be talk about war or military operations, limited or unlimited without a context. The context is this — not only India, any country that has invaded China (or) Chinese territory and stayed on - would have to be dealt with whatever means we have, because we cannot accept Chinese territory to be invaded and occupied.” She also said “Let us be specific. We are talking about Doklam (Donglang) incident, not generally along the border. Because on the border we have other mechanisms (to resolve disputes). We should analyse them case by case. But Doklam is a unique case, it is an established border line, uncontested territory. I will not say surgical operation, or missile strike or whatever. I will not specify….with whatever means, It has to be corrected…you have an invasion, you have to defeat that invasion.” She added, “We are stronger. The Chinese military is stronger compared to the Indian military... not only in numbers of aircraft, warships, artillery pieces, tanks, we have a much stronger defence industrial base.”
                      Question of limited war was posed by visiting Indian journalists at China's ministry of defense whose spokesperson refuted the notion.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Aug 17,, 20:58.

Comment

Perhaps but on IDR its going to find many easy marks ;)
                        IDR(http://www.indiandefencereview.com/) is not Indiandefensenews(http://www.indiandefensenews.in)
                        Indiandefensenews is for fanbois and I'm not too sure about NIE.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Looks like this is the plan. Then there is whole winter to ponder and plan about what to do next spring.
                        Winter is treacherous in the Himalayan ranges. But can there be no fight at all?

I am asking this, as I have led myself to believe that post september normaly would return. What if the Chinese have plans for winter?

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Takes one to know one
                        India wants to go to war with China because India's religious nationalists wants it? Some shit they smoke.
                        Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 17,, 20:36.

Comment

Winter is treacherous in the Himalayan ranges. But can there be no fight at all?

I am asking this, as I have led myself to believe that post september normaly would return. What if the Chinese have plans for winter?
                          They dug themselves in for the winter during the sumdurng chu affair. Also the 62 war took place at the end of October only to declare a cease fire by Nov 20.

So i don't fully understand why there cannot be any war until then. Maybe earlier fighting was at lower altitudes.

But if it turns out that both withdraw by Sept then maybe this affair is over. We pull out one day and they the day after, lol

We won't escalate as the status quo ante has been reached. So the weather provides a face saving way out for both here.

Unless it starts up again next year.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Aug 17,, 18:11.

Comment

Future land grabs possible at Barahoti if India isn't watching
                            My ancestors did trade with the Tibetans for hundreds of years through the niti pass, all of that was lost when PRC finally conquered all of the Tibetan territory in the 50s, we kept on trading till 62, after the war movement across the border was completely shut off.
                            The Tibetan's used to send a huge offering to the Badrinath temple in the old times to signify that the pass had opened, and trade could begin.
                            It is not easy to do much in the region in the winter months one the snow shuts down the passes for a good 4-6 months.

Comment

• Doklam standoff: China’s bullying tactics belie super power image

Trade wars and the Great China Wall: How India can get its act together for a China-smart trade policy

Comment

They dug themselves in for the winter during the sumdurng chu affair. Also the 62 war took place at the end of October only to declare a cease fire by Nov 20.

So i don't fully understand why they cannot be any war until then. Maybe earlier fighting was at lower altitudes.

But if it turns out that both withdraw by Sept then maybe this affair is over. We pull out one day and they the day after, lol

We won't escalate as the status quo ante has been reached. So the weather provides a face saving way out for both here.

Unless it starts up again next year.
                                I had december (end) - february (end) timeframe in mind.

Sino-India frictions raise potential for open conflict: CRS

US formally initiates investigation of China intellectual property practices
                                Last edited by Oracle; 19 Aug 17,, 14:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X