This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    The dramatics are new. Publicity about uncles and ex-girlfriends being shot. These are not the signs of a man in control. If it were, those people would simply have just disappeared. Instead, we get these very public announcements. He's trying to scare the populace ... and there are men in the north who will refused to be scared and KJU knows it.
    I thought it was the uncle who ordered the killings and KJU was enraged at the uncle for ordering the killings.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
      if i had to make a theory, i'd guess the first. IIRC Jang was under house arrest for some time before they finally gave him the noodle. if KJU was trying to show who was boss, it's generally a bad idea to piss off the guy's supporters, wait a week, and THEN enrage them through an execution.
      KJN's communications must be monitored but the one thing that gets me was just how fast the 39GA reached the border. We couldn't do that without advance warning.

However, Jang's supporters are not happy by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      I thought it was the uncle who ordered the killings and KJU was enraged at the uncle for ordering the killings.
      A quick google reveals nothing of the sort but if so, then this makes it the second shot in the Civil War. Jang was trying to show who's boss and the KJU returned the favour.

Do recall that we do have reports of company and battalion level revolts in the past, even in the capital.

Comment

Hmmm:

Jang executed for meeting with Kim Jong Nam, says expert | NK News – North Korea News

Jang Song Thaek was purged and executed because he met privately with Kim Jong Un’s older brother Kim Jong Nam, Professor Kang Myong-do said on Friday.

Professor Kang, who teaches at Kyungmin University and is the son-in-law of former North Korean premier Kang Song San, told YTN that Jang Song Thaek had travelled overseas to give Kim Jong Nam his monthly living expenses in October, a journey that had made Kim Jong Un suspicious that Jang was plotting to replace him.

Kang told YTN that “Kim Jong Un, who had been watching Jang since last year, found out, and he thought Jang was trying to enthrone Kim Jong Nam… that’s why he executed him”.

“Kim Jong Un has been trying to assassinate Kim Jong Nam many times,” he argued, “but he failed because Kim Jong Nam was under China and Jang Song Thaek’s protection. Some North Korean agents Kim Jong Un sent were even arrested”.

“Jang was trying to find aides to tell people if you cooperate with Jang, you can remove Kim Jong Un,” he said, “when Jang takes power, North Korea can give up nuclear and find new relations with South Korea”.

It was not immediately clear how Kang was informed about Jang’s meeting with Kim or whether the source can be relied upon.

Comment

KJN's communications must be monitored but the one thing that gets me was just how fast the 39GA reached the border. We couldn't do that without advance warning.
          That means they tapped the lines of the Fat Leader and his cronies and have several moles in his inner circle. Makes sense to have moles in every rung of the ladder and circle in NK.

However, Jang's supporters are not happy by any stretch of the imagination.
          That is why they went after the aides first so Jang couldn't get any support in time.

A quick google reveals nothing of the sort but if so, then this makes it the second shot in the Civil War. Jang was trying to show who's boss and the KJU returned the favour.
          I got this from a WABber newbie, SouthKorean and it kinda makes sense because to kill 2 ex girlfriends would mean you are a psycho. KJU may be evil but not a psycho otherwise he would have not survive his father nor the inner circle.

Do recall that we do have reports of company and battalion level revolts in the past, even in the capital.
          I think the Chinese intelligence apparatus have thoroughly penetrate the NK's military that nothing happens without their approval.

Comment

I think the Chinese intelligence apparatus have thoroughly penetrate the NK's military that nothing happens without their approval.
            IIRC, those were food related mutinies.

Comment

IIRC, those were food related mutinies.
              They could have been encouraged to make the leadership of NK more compliant to China's demands. Nothing scares a dictator more than the loss of the military support.

Comment

They could have been encouraged to make the leadership of NK more compliant to China's demands. Nothing scares a dictator more than the loss of the military support.
                Company and battalion? Way too low on the totem pole to be of any worth.

Comment

He shot two ex-girlfriends. I don't think he calculated anything. He did it because he could.
                  Uncle is more important than any number of girlfriends.

Meaning the Chinese must have been involved. The 39th Group Army, within 2 days of the arrest, is on a warfooting ... meaning that they already had warning orders. KJU would be a fool to visit China.
                  I don't know about involved. Is China aware and does China have good intel about what is going on in NK at any point in time? i have to believe they do as they're the ones keeping NK afloat.

What is the significance of 39th group arm amassing ? China isn't going to invade and neither is NK going to attack China.

Its a contingency to stop any exodus should it happen.

if nothing happens then 39th army on the border and sabre rattling at SK & others is good for domestic NK consumption. It means the world gives a damn about KJU. All part of the plan.

Chinese perception of KJU is that he is an ingrate. Well, he can't visit until he has his house in order first.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Dec 13,, 00:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    What is the significance of 39th group arm amassing ? China isn't going to invade and neither is NK going to attack China.
                    Obvious answer? They were to support a coup d'etat.

Comment

Then where are the rest of the plotters? NJU only got Jang and two aides. There have to be others such as generals and colonels.

Comment

If they're not being lined up and shot, they're running away. Their momentum was disrupted.

Comment

seems like a pretty weak way to support a coup d'etat. they got there too late to support jang or his faction in any way.

think more likely the Chinese found out at the last minute about the various machinations and sent up the GA there in case sh*t hit the fan with refugees.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

seems like a pretty weak way to support a coup d'etat. they got there too late to support jang or his faction in any way.
                            Jang wasn't ready.

think more likely the Chinese found out at the last minute about the various machinations and sent up the GA there in case sh*t hit the fan with refugees.
                            An entire army with its organic artillery regiments? In two days? We couldn't do it unless we had warning orders.

Also, infantry I can see but artillery? You don't need artillery to seal the borders. You need artillery for something else.

Comment

They would be idiots if they go home

BBC News - North Korea 'summons business people from China'

I know that their families are back home but they're dead anyways regardless if they go home or not.

Edit: China has lost all influence in that country and now will start looking at the stick more than the carrot.
                              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 14 Dec 13,, 17:45.

Comment

They would be idiots if they go home

BBC News - North Korea 'summons business people from China'

I know that their families are back home but they're dead anyways regardless if they go home or not.

Edit: China has lost all influence in that country and now will start looking at the stick more than the carrot.
                                China would be really stupid if she put all her eggs in this one guy's basket.

North Korean intrigue: His final purge | The Economist

"The day after Mr Jang’s arrest the Joongang Daily, a South Korean newspaper, reported that North Korea had signed a contract with China’s Tumen prefecture to form an exclusive industrial zone in Hamkyung province. "

Comment

Working...
                                X