No announcement yet.

Philippines, China Naval Standoff Enters Third Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guess who else is helping the Philippines fighting the Maoist?

Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal

Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal | ABS-CBN News

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, a long-time US ally and former colony, said it will sign a logistics supply deal with China to source military equipment to combat domestic security threats, including from Maoist rebels.

General Ricardo David, Chief of Staff of the 130,000-member Armed Forces of the Philippines, will fly on Tuesday to Beijing, where he will meet senior defense and army officials and also tour military facilities, the Philippine military said.

David will sign a defense logistics deal with his counterpart in the People's Liberation Army (PLA), with talks expected to cover regional security concerns, including tensions in the Korean peninsula and the peaceful resolution of disputes in the South China Sea, where Beijing and Manila have competing claims.

"I would suppose this will start the influx of logistics coming from mainland China," military spokesman Brigadier-General Jose Mabanta told reporters on the planned deal.

The Philippines has one of the weakest militaries in the Asia-Pacific region, in part relying on second-hand aircraft, boats and assault rifles from the United States, its closest security partner and former colonial ruler.

"I don't think there will be any political implications," Mabanta said when asked about the likely U.S. reaction. "The Philippine Armed Forces really lack funds and equipment and is ready and willing to accept equipment and much-needed resources from any donor country. This includes, of course, China."

Expanding soft power

Last year, a US congressional report warned of China's "soft power", of expanding its influence in the region through billions of dollars in development assistance and investments, particularly in the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.

In August, US military officials said Chinese assertiveness in the South China Sea was causing concern in the region.

China has previously donated engineering equipment, such as graders and bulldozers, which the army used to build roads in rural areas where the Maoist New People's Army (NPA) is active. It has also offered to sell artillery, helicopters and boats.

Since 2000, Washington has donated more than $500 million of military equipment and supplies to Manila. It has also provided training and advice on countering Islamic militants in the south.

The United States has also funded assistance to poorer rural communities to check the spread of NPA influence and control.

The Philippines has a modernization fund of about $150 million to upgrade transport aircraft and combat helicopters to fight Muslim separatists and Maoist guerrillas.
    as of 12/07/2010 12:07 AM
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
      $$$$$

That's what the ships came with.
      Doesn't seem like the PN will be able to put up a fight if the shooting war begins... :/

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
        Doesn't seem like the PN will be able to put up a fight if the shooting war begins... :/
        It makes me wonder if their leadership doesn't consider the real role of the Philippine Navy in a shooting war to be dying in a tragic enough way to draw in more powerful friends and spin global opinion in their direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Native View Post
          I doubt the U.S. would get involved. We avoided the Spratley's like the plague. With all the Freedom of Navigation we did, we steered wide and clear.
          Anybody who "steers wide and clear" has already got involved the dispute to a level. The thing is big players like USA, Russia or Japan don't have to take side but to use their presence and influence to prevent any side from using force to resolve the conflict. And that is for their own benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
            I remember reading one scenario which stated China's Navy and Air Force need only less than one hour to wipe out Philippines' counterparts.

Comment

It makes me wonder if their leadership doesn't consider the real role of the Philippine Navy in a shooting war to be dying in a tragic enough way to draw in more powerful friends and spin global opinion in their direction.
              And lose reelection? Hundreds of widows crying on camera wondering why their husbands were on defenseless ships is a powerful political attack ad.

Their fleet is showing the flag and dealing with the creeping annexation of the Chinese in the region. There is a difference between ramming a fishing boat or sailing close to a Chinese coast guard ship and actually fighting a naval battle.
              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
                Their fleet is showing the flag and dealing with the creeping annexation of the Chinese in the region. There is a difference between ramming a fishing boat or sailing close to a Chinese coast guard ship and actually fighting a naval battle.
                I am not advocating nor do I think that either side here actually wants this dispute to escalate into warfare, yet the Philippine govt. has got to be aware of the distinct possibility that in tense situations such as these mistakes can and do happen. Given that they are insistent on pursuing their current course of standing their ground, they are either being recklessly irresponsible with the lives of their sailors, or following a deliberate policy.

The current situation with China is not something that is unexpected or a new paradigm of behaviour in the region, yet the modernization efforts of the AFP remain unimpressive. How else do we explain that?

Comment

Spoiled kid? Failed to launch?

Comment

US triple military aid, share surveillance data and send more patrol boats, helicopters and F-16s.

U.S. triples military aid to Philippines in 2012 | Reuters

Comment

You have got to love that Rosario is complaining that the Philippines share of FMF has fallen even though it has risen in real terms.

Since 2002, the Philippines has received nearly $500 million in military aid from the United States, according to the U.S. embassy in Manila. The amount does not include the transfer of 20 reconditioned helicopters, a Cyclone-class ship and a Hamilton-class cutter.

A second Hamilton-class cutter will be transferred later this month and the two sides are discussing the possibility of a third Hamilton-class ship and a squadron of second-hand F-16 fighters.
                      So basically the US has provided, for free, the only respectable(sort of) warships they have, and might be about to give them their only real combat aircraft as well in addition to another $500 million. I understand that expanded access to facilities in the Philippines is a big win for the US and that in larger terms $30 million a year isn't really that much, but come on Philippines, show a little self respect! You are facing China with hand me downs. The Gregorio del Pilar was launched in 1965!
                      Last edited by HKDan; 04 May 12,, 01:15.

Comment

Well, here, more than 80% ppl agree that we should solve it by force (of course including me ;)) “ what the hell is the gov doing??? “ that is the voice of the masses.

Comment

Trying not to disturb the sharks when confronting a blow fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            Trying not to disturb the sharks when confronting a blow fish.
                            In this case its like a blow fish without the pokey bits.

Comment

32 Chinese ships in shoal, bar Pinoy fishers | Inquirer Global Nation

Well it is the smart way to 'annex' control.

Not a shot fired.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
                                Given that they are insistent on pursuing their current course of standing their ground, they are either being recklessly irresponsible with the lives of their sailors, or following a deliberate policy.

The current situation with China is not something that is unexpected or a new paradigm of behaviour in the region, yet the modernization efforts of the AFP remain unimpressive. How else do we explain that?
                                In my time at sea, I noticed that nations irregardless of size take their economic zones very seriously. Throw in some oil and no one is backing down.

Comment

Working...
                                X