This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China revises conscription law, eyeing Taiwan conflict

China enacted revisions to its military service law that will allow retired military personnel to be reenlisted to secure experienced soldiers.

The law also focuses on recruiting tech-savvy science and engineering students to prepare for warfare in new domains such as space and cyber, as the country tries to build its military strength to prepare for possible all-out war in the Taiwan Strait.

Nikkei Asia, May 7, 2023

Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      China revises conscription law, eyeing Taiwan conflict

China enacted revisions to its military service law that will allow retired military personnel to be reenlisted to secure experienced soldiers.

The law also focuses on recruiting tech-savvy science and engineering students to prepare for warfare in new domains such as space and cyber, as the country tries to build its military strength to prepare for possible all-out war in the Taiwan Strait.

Nikkei Asia, May 7, 2023

Are retired military really that interested and anxious to join back up?

Are tech savvy and engineering students all that interested in joining the military versus working privately after college?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Are retired military really that interested and anxious to join back up?

Are tech savvy and engineering students all that interested in joining the military versus working privately after college?
        Very high levels of college graduate unemployment in China at the moment something like 20%. from memory. Draftees might not be anxious to come back if they have a job (especially for a 'hot' war) but there should be plenty of takers for some roles if the military can find them term positions or some such.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post

Very high levels of college graduate unemployment in China at the moment something like 20%. from memory. Draftees might not be anxious to come back if they have a job (especially for a 'hot' war) but there should be plenty of takers for some roles if the military can find them term positions or some such.
          If they are anything like college graduate American males joining the military was not their goal at all. They anticipated finding a good job and if not might settle for less in the private world in the meantime and stay home with parents. That is what is done here while waiting the slow economy out. OTOH high school graduates, who do not intend to go to college, are more likely the pool for the military such as here. My brother was a classic example. Only Chinese families place such a high emphasis on getting a college education/profession I would tend to think anything less would not be acceptable. Besides does a 21 year old student feel Taiwan is an issue for them. Maybe the POC needs to think about inducements to sign up like a large signing bonus otherwise I suspect they will fall short. Most 21-22 year old college grads are not thinking military anywhere in this world nowadays.

Comment

Maybe the POC needs to think about inducements to sign up like a large signing bonus otherwise I suspect they will fall short. Most 21-22 year old college grads are not thinking military anywhere in this world nowadays.
            While China does not have any conscription or draft they do have mandatory "military education" both in high school and during college - two sets of about two weeks of drill training and similar intended to "instill a sense of patriotism and national defense". In general that two-week training in the way it is conducted seems to be more of a turn-off pushing college students away from ever even thinking about a military career.

However having this technically means they do already have a possible "tool" at hand if they wanted to go for some targeted advertising for recruitment. They're just not utilizing it. Yet.

Comment

If they are anything like college graduate American males joining the military was not their goal at all. They anticipated finding a good job and if not might settle for less in the private world in the meantime and stay home with parents. That is what is done here while waiting the slow economy out. OTOH high school graduates, who do not intend to go to college, are more likely the pool for the military such as here. My brother was a classic example. Only Chinese families place such a high emphasis on getting a college education/profession I would tend to think anything less would not be acceptable. Besides does a 21 year old student feel Taiwan is an issue for them. Maybe the POC needs to think about inducements to sign up like a large signing bonus otherwise I suspect they will fall short. Most 21-22 year old college grads are not thinking military anywhere in this world nowadays.
              True, but the difference is in the US college grads have a choice about whether or not they may want to serve a term of enlistment in the military. China? Not the case if the government decides otherwise.
              Last edited by Monash; 08 May 23,, 23:37.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

True, but the difference is in the US college grads have a choice about whether or not they may want to serve a term of enlistment in the military. China? Not the case if the government decides otherwise.
                Isn't that true everywhere?
                Conscription may not be the law today, but tomorrow...?
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post

Isn't that true everywhere?
                  Conscription may not be the law today, but tomorrow...?
                  Unless it's an end of the world scenario no government in the western world could re-introduce mass conscription and not expect to lose the next election. And that's not really a problem the Chinese Government has to worry about.

Comment

Unless it's an end of the world scenario no government in the western world could re-introduce mass conscription and not expect to lose the next election.
                    Eh, that's not the case at all.

Currently (as of March 2023) in surveys 61% of the adult, eligible-to-vote population in Germany is in favour of re-introducing/re-activating conscription - with majorities across all political allegiances and age groups.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      Eh, that's not the case at all.

Currently (as of March 2023) in surveys 61% of the adult, eligible-to-vote population in Germany is in favour of re-introducing/re-activating conscription - with majorities across all political allegiances and age groups.
                      In a poll yes. Let's see what happens if the German Government ever actually tries to do it! Something tells me receiving a draft order (or having a close loved one receive it) might lead to a sudden change of view. Lots of things are good in 'theory'.

Comment

Another PLA Reorganization
                        Xi Jinping is once again shaking up China’s armed forces, which suggests that at least in the near term there will be a greater degree of caution in dealing with international affairs. No one wants to fight with an untested order of battle.

The PLA Strategic Support Force (SSF) was established in 2015 with responsibility for intelligence support, technical surveillance, electromagnetic warfare, cyberwarfare, and psychological warfare. Sub unites included the Network Systems Department and Space Systems Department, which ran the Astronauts Corps.

Effective April 19, 2024, the new Information Support Force (ISF) is commander by Lt General Bi Yi; General Li Wei is the Political Commissar. General Li was named SSF Political Commissar in December 2020, and Lt General Bi was SSF Deputy Commander. The ISF will operate at the same organization level – reporting directly to the Military Affairs Commission – as the space, cyberspace, and joint logistics support forces. China had not previously acknowledged the existence of the Space Force or Cyberspace Force.

Purge and Revamp
                        SSF Commander General Ju Qiansheng was purged in July 2023 after two years on the job. He was joined in political purgatory by former National Defense Minister Li Shangfu, Airforce Commander Ding Laihang, Rocket Force Commander Zhou Yaning, and several other senior officers and corporate executives. Among those was Space Systems Department Deputy Commander Shang Hong, who was dropped as a delegate to the 20th National Party Congress without explanation. Shang had been Chief-of-Staff of the General Armaments Department under Li Shangfu.

Among those who appear to have survived (thus far) are Lt General Yang Xiaoxiang (SSF Deputy Political Commissar and Discipline Inspection Commission Secretary), Lt General Ding Xingnong (SSF General Political Department Director and a former Rocket Force Deputy Political Commissar), Space Systems Department Commander General Hao Weizhong, and Lt General Chen Hui, Commander of the Network Systems Department.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                        X