• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karzai makes surprise request to pull U.S. troops from Afghan villages

So umm do we just pack it in bring the army home :confu:

Karzai makes surprise request to pull U.S. troops from Afghan villages
    By Laura Rozen | The Envoy – 2 hrs 44 mins ago
    Karzai makes surprise request to pull U.S. troops from Afghan villages | The Envoy - Yahoo! News

American officials are reacting cautiously after Afghan President Hamid Karzai announced on Thursday that he had asked foreign troops to be withdrawn from Afghan villages and confined to large military bases.

Karzai apparently made the surprise request in a meeting with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who was visiting to try to defuse tensions after a string of inflammatory incidents—chief among them, the March 12 shooting rampage by a U.S. staff sergeant in Kandahar province that killed 16 Afghans, including nine children.

But Karzai's request apparently took the Americans by surprise.

Panetta believes the request "reflects President Karzai's strong interest in moving as quickly as possible to a fully independent and sovereign Afghanistan," Pentagon spokesman George Little said in a statement sent to Yahoo News on Thursday.

But he "believes that we have made good progress thus far in both security gains and transition, and that it is important for us to remain focused on those efforts in the months ahead," Little added.

The requested troop pullback, if implemented, would "essentially end the U.S. combat role just as the annual Taliban spring offensive begins," the Wall Street Journal's Afghanistan editor Yaroslav Trofimov wrote. NATO-led forces are currently due to turn over combat responsibilities to Afghan security forces by the middle of 2013, and to be withdrawn from the country by the end of 2014.

And while the NATO-led command was still digesting the implications of Karzai's request, the Americans got more bad news: The Taliban announced they were suspending reconciliation talks with the United States. The United States sees the peace talks as a key part of their overall exit strategy. But the Afghan insurgent group said Thursday they were putting the talks on hold, complaining that the Americans were "shaky, erratic and vague."

"The Islamic Emirate has decided to suspend all talks with Americans taking place in Qatar from today onwards until the Americans clarify their stance on the issues concerned," the Afghan insurgent group said in a statement, McClatchy reported.

American and NATO officials were muted in their public response to both developments Thursday, only the latest in a string of bad news in the 10-year-old war.

Panetta, characteristically, even sought to put an upbeat spin on his meetings with Afghan leaders in Kabul on Thursday, despite an attempted car bomb attack on the runway where his plane was landing in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday. The Afghan civilian who hijacked the vehicle and charged the runway as Panetta's plane was landing died overnight from burns sustained in the attack, the Pentagon said.

"Secretary Panetta enjoyed a very detailed and productive set of discussions in Afghanistan with Interior Minister Mohammadi, Defense Minister Wardak and President Karzai," Little said, avoiding any mention of the runway incident.

Some experienced Afghan hands said the latest string of grim developments show it's time for western and Afghan governments to reassess the transition plan.

"It is high time that both sides review their interests and strategies and come to an understanding for the sake of a better and safer environment for Afghans," Farid Maqsudi, an Afghan-American businessman who travels frequently to the country as a founding member of the U.S.-Afghan Chamber of Commerce, told Yahoo News by email on Thursday.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

I would just love it if tomorrow morning Karzai the Ungrateful woke up to an Afghanistan without one single 'foreign' Serviceman in the land.

Comment

Well there's gratitude for you.

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      I would just love it if tomorrow morning Karzai the Ungrateful woke up to an Afghanistan without one single 'foreign' Serviceman in the land.
      Agreed. Karzai's head will be on a pike 10 minutes after the foreigners pullout. And 5 minutes before that, he'll be getting overdraft notices from...everybody.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Agreed. Karzai's head will be on a pike 10 minutes after the foreigners pullout. And 5 minutes before that, he'll be getting overdraft notices from...everybody.
        We should leave him alone like he asks - and give him a little extra - a few dezen MOABS on his palace.... just be sure his taliban buddies were visiting at the time. Then when the taliban takes over - we can bomb them too. Extra big, special new MOAB_XL would be nice. Sub-megaton of course.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Yes. Maybe what Karzai needs is a good dose of reality. Turn over all operations to his army and police now and watch from the sidelines. Question is, when the Taliban surround his palace, do we come to the rescue? Just being facetious, but hey...I can dream.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Don't bet on it. This guy has been planning for this for years. He'll have a deal with the Taliban in place before the last NATO soldier exits & will have found a way to keep himself safe, well & probably wealthy for a good while yet. Check out his history. This guy is the ultimate survivor. He has decided that NATO has gone from being a net asset to a net liability to him staying in power.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I think Karzai is just playing politics and trying to divide his opposition. The comments are entirely for domestic consumption as his is an unpopular govt. From that pov i do not understand the outrage expressed here by many over his recent comments.

Politicians say a lot of things, they can't always deliver on hence the appropriate cautious response from the US.

This gets repeated so often and i think i know how to debunk it.

Karzai's term ends next year and he isn't seeking re-election. He said this on Fareed's show a few months back. On that show he also mentioned he wanted the night time raids by ISAF to stop.

Now if the pullout is to happen in 2014, somebody else will be in charge.

Karzai will not become a Najibullah.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Mar 12,, 10:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                I think Karzai is just playing politics and trying to divide his opposition. The comments are entirely for domestic consumption as his is an unpopular govt. From that pov i do not understand the outrage expressed here by many over his recent comments
                Was it domestic consumption when two Generals lost their jobs because of his intemperate remarks? Gen Fuller was not a happy teddy when Karzai said he "would side with Pakistan if the U.S. ever went to war with that country." I think outrage at that comment was not misplaced. Karzai has a tendency to make these outrages remarks and expects them to wash over the heads of Governments without rebuke.

Comment

Was it domestic consumption when two Generals lost their jobs because of his intemperate remarks?
                  Don't know, my comment was in reference to the latest incident with that soldier.

Gen Fuller was not a happy teddy when Karzai said he "would side with Pakistan if the U.S. ever went to war with that country." I think outrage at that comment was not misplaced. Karzai has a tendency to make these outrages remarks and expects them to wash over the heads of Governments without rebuke.
                  Who was the second general ?

Karzai's on a tightrope here.

Comment

Don't know, my comment was in reference to the latest incident with that soldier.

Karzai's on a tightrope here
                    Shame its not a short one wrapped around his fkin neck

Comment

Karzai's on a tightrope here.
                      Gen. Stanley McChrystal lost his job after making critical comments about the Obama administration and its conduct of the war.

Comment

Gen. Stanley McChrystal lost his job after making critical comments about the Obama administration and its conduct of the war.
                        No he lost his job because he was careless around a reporter. Some people can't make up their minds as to whether he did it on purpose or it was accidental.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                          Shame its not a short one wrapped around his fkin neck
                          Just pohwitics m8 :)

Comment

Working...
                          X