CPEC and Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    I think most of it is wordplay to allay the concerns of various opposition factions within the Indian establishment. In the future most treaties with the US and French will have what you've said in bold. That's the way to go about it if China has to be contained.
    Whether we accept american troops on our soil is an open question. Or maybe we can have it just the one way

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Worst thing to happen. Multiply that with the rest of the seven sisters and tell me how do you attract capital back now ? this is exactly what militants in Pakistan will do to CPEC

See how long it took to deal with just in Assam
      Attracting capital is the CM's job. But these good for nothing politicians sit on their asses for doles from the central government. Do you know tribals in NE don't have to pay taxes?

Other than Manipur, and to some extent Assam, Nagaland & Meghalaya, other states are peaceful. But, but, who'd invest?

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      They are, all Biharis i'm come across from various walks of life. The local is the same here too. Night & day difference.
      You're comparing a developed state Karnataka with NE states. Locals have plenty of avenues to earn money in Bangalore.

The new 'outsiders' ? they don't run the show like the sikhs back then though
      They do more or less. Not like previous years, but Assam needs migrants who'd come and invest, create jobs, bring in their culture, food habits etc. We need this all over India, for India to be a true melting pot of cultures, food and people.

Media. Easier to stifle back then. You can say AFSPA takes care of this already but people are more connected these days. They will use the international community to hit back
      Correct.

It makes me a bit nervous, we've been lax to date. Am i going to get asked to show ID every time now.
      No. Start speaking in English with a heavy South-Indian accent. :D
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Govt seeks China role in northeast connectivity plan
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• When i mentioned this back in 2015 to some friends they asked what good it was other than provide another entry point into India for Chinese goods. Back then it was a about building a road from the NE to China. They are approaching it from the other end this time. Chittagong.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Aug 18,, 11:00.

Comment

Attracting capital is the CM's job. But these good for nothing politicians sit on their asses for doles from the central government. Do you know tribals in NE don't have to pay taxes?

Other than Manipur, and to some extent Assam, Nagaland & Meghalaya, other states are peaceful. But, but, who'd invest?
            Japan ?

https://www.isas.nus.edu.sg/wp-conte...-India-002.pdf

You're comparing a developed state Karnataka with NE states. Locals have plenty of avenues to earn money in Bangalore.
            Thought you were referring to how outsiders work better than locals. In Karnataka the Tamil tradie & Orissa plumber is going to be more resourceful ie cheaper than a local

No. Start speaking in English with a heavy South-Indian accent. :D
            What do we do with the non-citizens ? put him on a bus and send them across the border ?

Comment

• This cartoon was rejected by the "mail today" as exaggerated. Specifically the editor said

..the cartoon is very defeatist and the China problem is being overplayed

https://www.cartoonistsatish.com/sorry-no-cartoon/

Click image for larger version

Name:	mail-today-rejected-cartoon.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1477155

‘Freedom curbed by unseen hand’ | DH | Aug 15 2018

Cartoonist Satish Acharya recently put up a Facebook post alleging political interference in news organisations. His last cartoon, commenting on growing Chinese influence in the Maldives, was pulled off since the paper deemed it exaggerated.
              Self-censorship ?

There is a reset of relations with China, looks like the editors are under instructions not to play up anything anti-china
              Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Aug 18,, 15:37.

Comment

When i mentioned this back in 2015 to some friends they asked what good it was other than provide another entry point into India for Chinese goods. Back then it was a about building a road from the NE to China. They are approaching it from the other end this time. Chittagong.
                No country can make do by banning 100% Chinese manufactured goods. That is a fact and we have to live with that. How do we leverage this fact/crisis into an opportunity. With costs rising in China, and China investing in unstable countries across the globe, this to me seems like a shrewd idea to propel jobs and growth in NE, and use Japan for infrastructure development.

Tell the Chinese, India wants you and your money on Indian terms. What better place than the NE to get the Chinese interested, because earlier it was a no-go area for them.

#1. Have Chinese investments in NE India to the point that the Chinese actually make money, and in-time do a post-mortem of their investments in other places. E.g., CPEC vis-a-vis a stable democracy like India.

#2. Keep them invested on the economic front, so that the CCP sees no reason to start a border war, which they can't win, but would affect the economy of both parties.

#3. Much shorter, and a stable route to the Indian Ocean, if we compare this to CPEC.

#4. It would then be in Chinas' interests to keep NE India stable, by distancing itself from NE militant groups.

Mind you, the CCP is wary of an India fully on the US camp. But, while the Chinese know that Indian FP is pragmatic and driven by her interests of real-politik, stable relations and a border free of violence is in Chinas' interest more at this point in history.

One reason why I admire Ram Madhav is because of his out-of-the-box thinking. He's the guy behind BJPs' win in Tripura. Yeah, and one can give credit to the local strongman, Himanta too.
                Last edited by Oracle; 17 Aug 18,, 14:37.

Comment

Japan investing in the NE is a Central Government initiative.

Thought you were referring to how outsiders work better than locals. In Karnataka the Tamil tradie & Orissa plumber is going to be more resourceful ie cheaper than a local
                  What I meant is that locals in Karnataka can/are migrating to Bangalore, and there they have plenty of scope to earn their livelihood and feed their family. Not the case with NE. Locals from NE migrate to big cities to find employment. Hospitality industry in big cities of India is an example.

What do we do with the non-citizens ? put him on a bus and send them across the border ?
                  Is that possible? If possible, how feasible is that? There are more than 20 million Bangladeshis in India as of today. It would be a gigantic exercise, much like Aadhar, and there would be slippages, not to mention the financial burden on Indian taxpayers.

The BJP Government has already talked to the Bangladesh Government that there are no plans to send the illegals across the border, if you believe newspaper articles. Illegals will not get Government jobs, cannot buy land, will have no right at subsidies - these the Government have made clear. They can however live on rent, make do with petty jobs no one wants to do. That is, live like aliens with zero rights.

Having said that - infiltrations occur as we speak. Earlier they used to enter Assam, get basic documents by bribing state officials at the village level, then get their names enrolled in the voters list. But since the time I have been working, I have observed a very interesting phenomenon. I have encountered more and more Bangladeshis in metros. Initially the idea for them was probably economic, as petty jobs would get them more money in metros, than working as a farm labourer in the NE. Then they started sending the idea back to Assam/NE to their extended relatives and also to other illegals across the border in Bangladesh. This process is the same in Tripura, West Bengal, Meghalaya and have been since, I'd say atleast 25 years. Bangladeshi women have also started to wear red colored bindi, which we call sindoor, to assimilate, as Hindu women from Assam/Tripura/WB. This I have personally seen. There are more examples, one of that in a pet shop in HSR layout. 2 guys there, are illegal Bangladeshi migrants.

So do we need NRC pan-India? Yep, if we have to know the extent of illegal Bangladeshis. That is why I have always said NRC only in Assam does not fulfil its intended purpose. Bangladeshis have become smarter, they don't stay in the NE now, they have been migrating to metros for more than 2 decades. Savvy?
                  Last edited by Oracle; 17 Aug 18,, 18:05.

Comment

This cartoon was rejected by the "mail today" as exaggerated. Specifically the editor said

..the cartoon is very defeatist and the China problem is being overplayed

https://www.cartoonistsatish.com/sorry-no-cartoon/

[ATTACH]46635[/ATTACH]

‘Freedom curbed by unseen hand’ | DH | Aug 15 2018

Self-censorship ?

There is a reset of relations with China, looks like the editors are under instructions not to play up anything anti-china
                    This is not right in a democracy. Let people air their views openly without any fear, political meddling is not okay. Press should always be free. Seems the stalwarts of the RSS & Jan Sangh have forgotten their days during the emergency. The Government can always, through proper channels, let the Chinese know the workings of a democracy, and in turn also confide in them that their investments are safe in India, and that, this view/cartoon, is not the present Governments' stance. Sometimes I think, the myopic lenses of the BJP has kept it from growing pan-India before 2014, and will harm it in the future. Why create a mess, when there should be none.

Comment

• Why Chinese banks are turning wary of Pakistan loans

Snippets:
                      "As a commercial bank we will of course use extra caution when considering new loans to Pakistan," one Beijing-based banker said.

"We are worried if our existing loans will get repaid in a timely fashion," the second source said. "We'll be closely watching the negotiations between Pakistan and IMF to see what restrictions the fund will impose."
                      Has the Chinese asked for investments in India to offset some of their troubled investments around the globe?

If one reads Ram Madhav, he is trying to gauge national opinion on whether the Chinese should be allowed to invest in the NE. I think this is a very smart move.

I can export Chicken head, feet, innards, pork and dogs to China and make some millions then. DE, you're my point-person to move dogs from Bangalore to the NE. :D

Comment

• India is the swing superpower of the 21st century, right?

In the end the 21st century is going to come down to three countries -- America, India and China.

These are the three big powers. You have some others around the edges -- the European Union, Russia what have you -- but really those three.

And which way is India going to go?
                        Last edited by Oracle; 17 Aug 18,, 19:58.

Comment

• Pakistan should ‘renegotiate’ some CPEC terms, agreements

Comment

• I have always admired S-2's posts. This one is from here.

"I beg off you, please take this aid away from us."

Your war has little to do with aid and everything to do with the radicalization of some of your more gullible tribal males by the afghan taliban and A.Q. They've long bought into the notion of a transcedent islamist caliphate.

Do you really think their worldview would be changed were your most visible patrons the PRC instead of us? They're godless commies for Christ's sake!

Nek Mohammad and Baitullah Mehsud had long sucked at the nipple of Omar's breast. Well before 9/11. Their purpose was clear long before that fateful morning. Inviting the defeated remnants of the afghan taliban government onto your lands and bestowing sumptuous sanctuary was hardly a signal missed by your local tribesmen

When your army unsuccessfully treated with Nek Mohammad, Mullah F.M. and othes they saw your weakness. And you WERE weak. Pakistan didn't lift a finger against its own internal rebellion between 2002 and 2008 when finally it took on a limited offensive in Bajaur. Even then your army and government reacted with near paralytic somolence when the TTP nearly captured Swat and Buner.

The rest of the world had to BEG Pakistan to defend itself.

This isn't about our aid.

Your problems reach far, far deeper than anything simple greenbacks (even abundantly distributed) can touch.

OTOH, you'll finally have an opportunity to see just whether your "all weather" allies are everything you tout. Prepare yourselves. Granting them control of Gwadar is the least you'll be asked.
                            notorious_eagle and Agnostic_Muslim, said ISI was involved in Bin Laden Ops. That it was a joint operation. Yeah, we know that right!
                            Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 18,, 03:26.

Comment

• Chinese scholars hail invite to invest in NE

Comment

Why Chinese banks are turning wary of Pakistan loans <---Link FIXED!

Has the Chinese asked for investments in India to offset some of their troubled investments around the globe?
                                Possible. $65bn in Venezuela seems frozen for the moment.

Trump introduces a lot of uncertainty and the smartest thing for both India & China to do is set aside their differences and work out ways to offset any global turbulence.

Listening to Nalalpat in his latest. He says CPEC is a charity project advocated by the Chinese military who likes the Pak military.

Chinese make a lot of money with their dealings in India. China will lose a lot of money with its dealings in Pakistan.

Chinese military seems to love losing money. Most normal Chinese love making money.

Does China want to have dealing with a country where its investments can make profits or continue to support a country whose wahabi mindset considers Chinese to be the children of the devil.

Chinese drink alcohol - check
                                Eat pork - check
                                Women dress liberally - check
                                Not religious - check
                                Clamps down on muslims in China - check

The sociological implications of Chinese in Pakistan are interesting.

If one reads Ram Madhav, he is trying to gauge national opinion on whether the Chinese should be allowed to invest in the NE. I think this is a very smart move.
                                yes, i think that looks like the plan. The NE is the test case. Working with Bangladesh with Hasina in charge will be easier

The GT article referenced.

This is about fixing sociological perceptions between India & China

Anything a person sees in India can be true, but the opposite of what he sees may also be true.
                                There is this crazy duality that exists in India. Where a cat is in the box and at the same time not there also.

Despite constant friction between China and the US, there are millions of Americans and Chinese visiting each other, the two nations are far from being isolated from each other. This is the solid foundation of Sino-US ties. It is hoped that such a foundation can also be formed between China and India in the days to come.
                                Wow!
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Aug 18,, 18:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X