Indian government furious at BBC over broadcast of gang-rape documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by commander View Post
    I would only appreciate her if she reports faults in her own house too rather than being a hypocrite.
    if you watched the clip you would realise she has made similar films about england and south africa.

And we will have our future citizens identified differently even if we do progress. Sad.
    It will pass.

What scared me though is how she claimed other prof's agreed with her for this swooping generalization and are prepared all over EU to boycott Indian students one or other way. Have to wait and see, now the suspicion of every time a Indian male student is rejected in any ground then we will see huge outcry.
    i decided to dig into this one, started with your link

Indian denied German varsity internship because of country's 'rape problem'

and the quora post that started it all.

How does one prove the authenticity of what was said in an email ?

Now read update 3, there, its the reply from the university. in german so use google translate, says she did not have enough seats which the young man did not accept and then they started to talk about social conditions and this topic comes up. She says her comments were taken out of context (!)

they have 44 indian students of whom 15 are female at that university. Now if you don't get the seat you want and are willing to try anything, then basically a rejection means i get you back ? oh any student trying to pull a stunt like this is going to get shown the door that i guarantee.

Then this,

Section-497- Adultery

So even if the women sleeps around she can't be charged under this law.

See I am not against women or in favour of men. Men are assholes in their own way, but isn't a law supposed to be impartial ? Indian judicial system is flawed in many ways divided on caste,religion,gender, and I guess there will be more if we can dig around. THIS is what I hate about our country. Hope I was clear enough.
    By wife not being abettor it means the man can't say because his wife did this or that he went and slept around. Though i do recall a divorce being granted because the wife refused marital relations. if the woman sleeps around then the man gets a divorce. You could ask why this isn't the case in the first place, why is jail time being involved for adultery. Was reading an article the other day and apparently the same is the case in Korea too. Adultery is punishable with prison time.

No he was talking about another rapist that Leslie interviewed. He was a paedophile and he molested and violated a minor. It was in some print medium of BBC if i am not wrong.
    ah, but it seems extraneous to mention it when discussing the documentary.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Mar 15,, 01:49.

Comment

• NOTHING HERE ANYONE WROTE OBLIGES THE BBC NOT TO AIR THIS DOCUMENTARY IN THE UK!

A court order in India? Are you fucking kidding me?

Fuck that bullshit! PERIIOD!
      Chimo

Comment

• The North Korean can air whatever they wish in North Korea but like fucking hell should we obey their order NOT to say the Kims are gay assholes!

We don't pretend to extend our authority into North Korea and neither should they into ours ... and NEITHER SHOULD INDIA!

I AM FREAKING SURPRISED BY THIS BY YOU, HITESH! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING THAT INDIA GOT THE RIGHT TO SUPRESS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN THE UK!
        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          I AM FREAKING SURPRISED BY THIS BY YOU, HITESH! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING THAT INDIA GOT THE RIGHT TO SUPRESS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN THE UK!
          It's an intellectual exercise to see how far one's reasoning can go. Besides, India is hardly the first nation to try this route. Look at US and see how it does with other foreign media using the national security act and patriot act to try to silence them. And Canada and other western nations went along with the US requests/orders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            And Canada and other western nations went along with the US requests/orders.
            What? Paul Berndao murders. Publications ban in Canada but anyone can read the details through the internet sites on the US side.

Ottawa did not request Washington to enforce a publication ban ... because frankly, it would have been denied ... as it should have been.
            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
              Intent should not be a factor here. What you think personally about the issue as an individual (which you are very well entitled to) also should not be a factor in determining acceptable boundaries within a public discourse. Indian governments have had a continued love affair with censorship which has resulted in, more often than not, stifling of free speech and other fundamental rights. This holds true even if we take into account the reasonable restrictions imposed on the right to freedom of speech and expression, clause 1 - sub clause 2 under Article 19 of the Constitution of India.

"Nothing in sub clause (a) of clause ( 1 ) shall affect the operation of any existing law, or prevent the State from making any law, in so far as such law imposes reasonable restrictions on the exercise of the right conferred by the said sub clause in the interests of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States, public order, decency or morality or in relation to contempt of court, defamation or incitement to an offence"
              Like I said , after been accustomed to so many bans for all kinds of silly reasons, this ban never came as a shocker to me and I would still try and justify it, maybe a factor is because this is Modi govt's decision. I dont know but what I do know is FoE shouldn't be restricted and I was angry when the same BBC that is championing FoE had banned documentary's about it's own sexual harassement and abuse issues. Now from my point of view I am arguing "My govt requested you to stop the screening, you didn't. You cited FoE fine but you are a biggest hypocrite in that front, why should I sympathize with you?". Hope you get my point.

Let our actions do the talking. GoI's move to ban the documentary as it turns out was poor marketing as well.
              Totally agree on this, this issue was mishandled. They could have tried diplomatically behind the screens rather than making a fuss about it. BUT hey they do have a sect of people back at home who are the voters and those who are seeing it worldwide aren't going to vote for BJP now are they ?

If true, this tells a lot about the person and his professional integrity.
              This was doing it's rounds in twitter so can't authenticate it. Arnab never plays the way the traditional Indian media plays. Have a look at this article this might help,

The Arnab Cast Of Characters

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                Yes, say I disagree with all of their stances. that is NOT the point. The point is that they have a right to raise issues which they feel are important. On what basis would your BJP govt. mute their voices? Don't we have freedom of expression?

Enforce tax laws, who is stopping them
                We will end up as nation of incomplete projects as Venkaiah Naidu aptly put. You have absolutely all rights to express your concerns. Nobody stopped you from doing it. BJP didn't arrest/ban those activists now did they ? They were only asked to file their tax properly for all the fund they receive, upon which they go on a rampage claiming they are being silenced blah blah blah. An interesting information for you,

India witnessing NGO boom, there is 1 for every 600 people

India has 2 million non-profits—and no, that’s not a lot

This week, India’s Central Bureau of Investigation said that the country has 2 million non-profit organizations–one for every 600 people. However, many within the non-profit sector believe the figure could be much higher.
                Out of which how many file their tax returns ?? not even 1% of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  if you watched the clip you would realise she has made similar films about england and south africa.
                  I watched her clip and only said she would start with her country's unavoidable high number of rape cases as well.

It will pass.
                  Hope so.

i decided to dig into this one, started with your link

Indian denied German varsity internship because of country's 'rape problem'

and the quora post that started it all.

How does one prove the authenticity of what was said in an email ?

Now read update 3, there, its the reply from the university. in german so use google translate, says she did not have enough seats which the young man did not accept and then they started to talk about social conditions and this topic comes up. She says her comments were taken out of context (!)

they have 44 indian students of whom 15 are female at that university. Now if you don't get the seat you want and are willing to try anything, then basically a rejection means i get you back ? oh any student trying to pull a stunt like this is going to get shown the door that i guarantee.
                  The university scrambling to publish an explanation/apology plus the prof's interview to NewsMinute are proof that this was 100% genuine. If you were hinting about her network of prof's to deny entry.. well that is up for speculation atleast now. Even this story broke out only very late and this guy was the second student that was refused. Another guy came forward saying he was denied entry on the same grounds.

By wife not being abettor it means the man can't say because his wife did this or that he went and slept around. Though i do recall a divorce being granted because the wife refused marital relations. if the woman sleeps around then the man gets a divorce. You could ask why this isn't the case in the first place, why is jail time being involved for adultery. Was reading an article the other day and apparently the same is the case in Korea too. Adultery is punishable with prison time.
                  I understood it that even if the Wife sleeps around she can't be held accountable, i.e. when another married man elops with another man's wife. Then only the guy is punishable under adultery law and not the women involved. Aren't I correct ???

ah, but it seems extraneous to mention it when discussing the documentary.
                  I watch his debates for entertainment and not for substance

Comment

NOTHING HERE ANYONE WROTE OBLIGES THE BBC NOT TO AIR THIS DOCUMENTARY IN THE UK!

A court order in India? Are you fucking kidding me?

Fuck that bullshit! PERIIOD!
                    Sir, a court order in India to ban it IN India. The govt asked BBC for worldwide stay on release until they fix the legal issues they refused.

Comment

We will end up as nation of incomplete projects as Venkaiah Naidu aptly put. You have absolutely all rights to express your concerns. Nobody stopped you from doing it. BJP didn't arrest/ban those activists now did they ? They were only asked to file their tax properly for all the fund they receive, upon which they go on a rampage claiming they are being silenced blah blah blah. An interesting information for you,

India witnessing NGO boom, there is 1 for every 600 people

India has 2 million non-profits—and no, that’s not a lot

Out of which how many file their tax returns ?? not even 1% of them.
                      If the govt. did its job right then we would not need so many NGOs. If everyone in India gets access to the toilet then the scores of NGOs dedicated to providing sanitation facilities disappear overnight. If the govt. is able to provide mass healthcare, the the scores of NGOs doing medical camps would go away.

Also, don't let Venkaiya Naidu pull wool over your eyes. Have you seen the latest data that NDTV has gathered from government and private sources? Most of the abandoned projects around India are because of lack of funding or lack of promoter interest, not because of unavailability of land.
                      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Like I said , after been accustomed to so many bans for all kinds of silly reasons, this ban never came as a shocker to me and I would still try and justify it, maybe a factor is because this is Modi govt's decision. I dont know but what I do know is FoE shouldn't be restricted and I was angry when the same BBC that is championing FoE had banned documentary's about it's own sexual harassement and abuse issues. Now from my point of view I am arguing "My govt requested you to stop the screening, you didn't. You cited FoE fine but you are a biggest hypocrite in that front, why should I sympathize with you?". Hope you get my point.
                        You shouldn't sympathize with BBC but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be mad at GoI. These two issues although similar are mutually exclusive. Being a Modi supporter doesn't mean you have to accept his every move. A true supporter should call out his mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                          If the govt. did its job right then we would not need so many NGOs. If everyone in India gets access to the toilet then the scores of NGOs dedicated to providing sanitation facilities disappear overnight. If the govt. is able to provide mass healthcare, the the scores of NGOs doing medical camps would go away.

Close to 30 Lakh Toilets Built Under Swachh Bharat Drive: Govt

Things are happening which were forgotten by the previous government. My point is the legitimate scare of these NGO's being used to fracture India's march to development. NGO's are a necessity but like 600:1 ratio ?? Can't a single NGO for one cause be more effective than a thousand clobbering over one issue ? Also there were IB reports that explained how SOME of these NGO's are being used for money laundering like in WB. I am not against NGO's as a whole. The biggest Irony is that Greenpeace is banned in Canada,where it was formed. LOL.

Also, don't let Venkaiya Naidu pull wool over your eyes. Have you seen the latest data that NDTV has gathered from government and private sources? Most of the abandoned projects around India are because of lack of funding or lack of promoter interest, not because of unavailability of land.
                          Don't want to derail this thread further from the original issue, but would like to point out that the lack of interest came from the very stringent laws to do any business at all. A corrupt bureaucratic system plus constant agitations against everything has brought the country to it's knees.

Comment

Sir, a court order in India to ban it IN India. The govt asked BBC for worldwide stay on release until they fix the legal issues they refused.
                            Why the hell should they not refused?
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                              You shouldn't sympathize with BBC but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be mad at GoI. These two issues although similar are mutually exclusive. Being a Modi supporter doesn't mean you have to accept his every move. A true supporter should call out his mistakes.
                              Shouldn't have been sympathize but support should have been the correct word that I should have used. But anyway, like I said I am mad at the govt for totally misreading this issue and I did point out it handled this issue poorly. Not only on this but on countless other things, like Masarat Alam case, poor media management on Land Ordinance, haven't done much against the corrupt like Vadra,Sonia etc. I will question his stand on many issues that I feel are against what he promised, but I can't accept BBC a media group that had constantly tried to portray India into something it isn't or making fun of it.

Comment

Why the hell should they not refused?
                                That is their right and whatever legal actions that GoI might take is our right.

Comment

Working...
                                X