This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    We went back to English because English was already forced upon us and there were enough of us all over to speak English and we kicked the English people out for many things and among those things was forcing us to learn English.

So we ended up thinking why go through all this brohahah and settle on English as the medium where all diverse people could communicate with each other. Not an elegant solution, but it worked.
    Yes, it may not be the best solution out there for us, but a solution/model that worked at it's best and is still working.

IMO this was a way out for all of us to agree on one common alien language, than fight within ourselves over language alongside religion and caste.
    Last edited by commander; 14 May 14,, 20:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
      Unfortunately???

I hope that was s figure of speech. I am extremely proud of our diversity. Which other country gets to stay together in spite of this level of diversity? On this thread we all have different viewpoints. But All of us rose (rightly or wrongly) in defense of Netaji, a national hero, when the Colonel brought him up. That shows the innate unity we have a nation in spite of our diversity
      It was indeed a figure of speech and I am proud of our diversity as well. :) IMHO Bose is still an hero who had the same intentions as Gandhi or Nehru, freedom to India. The path he chose might not be desirable but intentions were pure nonetheless.

Connecting the rivers is desirable and doable. I am convinced having a common language is not doable. I am not sure that having a common language is preferable. Like you yourself said earlier, Hindi would probably have had greater acceptance if it was not forced down everyone's throats. I myself take great pride in speaking Shudh Hindi (the Lucknowi kind, not the Bongish kind) but I hate someone telling me that I have to speak Hindi ir I am not Indian enough.
      As long as there are politicians who wait like hawks to pick fight over every silly thing we can forget about having anything in common for all Indians, not only language.
      Last edited by commander; 14 May 14,, 20:47.

Comment

• So basically, ignore them. One reference of Akbar among all that crap. That is the best you for one of the best rulers India has seen?

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        You got me there man. We make beedis for export. Our chairman's father was a contemporary of Castro. From there we learnt the technology of rolling beedis on the thighs of virgins. Then we came back to India and set up shop. And have not looked back since.

Neither Castro nor our virgins (or his) needed English.

Beedi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        I am aware of the beedi industry, as I spent my college days in Nagpur. You have low skilled- semi skilled workers working on subsistence wages, making an addictive substance. Not exactly a role model for an industry. Cuba is not the pinnacle of a nation's development, regardless of how many virgins they might have given you.

Bigotry? What's bigoted about what I just said and what you quoted? Its a well known fact that within the south, its "some" Tamils who are the last remaining resistance to Hindi being spoken as the bridge language across the country. I've gone to the North East. Tuta phoota (broken pgdin) Hindi they will speak with great gusto and pride with you. Same in Kerala. Karnataka and Andhra are even better. Where else in the country will you have a problem getting understood and being able to converse (with variable degrees of effort/comprehension admittedly) in Hindi? As I said, you really are out of touch with the motherland.
        By the way you refer to them. I am not out of touch but you are living inside a shell. Come out of that shell and see the real India, one that does not care much about your labels

No one is forcing Hindi on anyone. More Indians know Hindi than they do English. Fact. So which is easier to use?
        They are also subjugated by their lack of exposure while those who know English can navigate towards a better lifestyle. In the future India and the future global economy, people need to learn English. I need my daughters to learn English. I would also want them to learn Bengali, given their heritage. truth be told, I would also like them to know Hindi as that would connect them towards a bigger part of their heritage, but in real life they would not be missing out if they did not know Hindi. their higher education or job prospects would not depend on them not knowing Hindi. Unless of course, I want to relocate to North India, which I don't want to.

Surprised to hear a Bong say this. You guys are usually the most militant about your mother tongue, the loudest, and the most uncaring of where you are when you break into animated (and very loud) Bengali. A lifetime of traveling in the Gitanjali with cross-bogey conversations has scarred me for life. LOL
        I am sorry that you were emotionally scarred. One would have thought that exposure to the refined Bengali tongue would have elevated you. Apparently you are in no position to appreciate that. Conversation inside a train are not the same as conversations in an office environment.
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Japan is a first world power and yet English is not its official language and can only speak Japanese.
          Japan had embraced western tactics a long time back. They also had developed an industrial base that we do not have. they are also a very homogeneous nation under an oligarchic leadership. none of that applies to us

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          The only reason why IT industry was the shining sector in the early 2000s because it was the only unregulated industry and the government couldn't mess up with it and the costs of the start ups were so low. Now whatever gains we got from the IT are being usurped by other countries such as Vietnam and Phillipines. Look at China. China is not an English speaking country and yet it is doing so much better than India economically speaking. Surely learning English wasn't one of them. In fact America and Europe are learning to speak and read Chinese.
          Yes, do look at China. Have you worked with the Chinese? Do you know how hard they are working to dispel the "don't know english" notion?

Oh really?? Then why am I looking at my house which I bought with the money I earned from winning my cases which involves making coherent and intelligent arguments, dumbass? Saying it and hoping it is true doesn't mean it would be true. So say all you want but really, you are just engaging in mental masturbation.
          Really Blade? You have to go there?
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

And you can speak for yourself and you do not represent the whole of India either. In fact with the way you post, you are not in fact mainstream but of the liberal left. And you say that I ignore 1000 years of history. Well, I say you believe in the western version of the history.

Never did I say that I represent my country as a whole. But I do put my views and other people's viewpoints that are very similar to me. Likewise yours but do not claim that you speak for mainstream India or somehow denigrate or diminish my viewpoints by calling me hindu right or whatever label you feel so superior in.
            I think I was very clear in saying that I do not claim to represent India and in fact I believe it cannot be represented by a single individual or a group of individuals. I am happy to see you agree on the same on your end.

If you think I am from the Left then you obviously have not read most of my posts. I actually cheered when Subhas Chakraborty died.

Do notice that there is no flag raising day or day commemorating the actions of the BIA in India for WWI and WW2. The closest I could find was the Army Day, Navy Day, and Air Force Day where they celebrate their history but that didn't translate into a national holiday or commemoration for the entire country.
            The Services honor their history. That is the thing that matters and that is enough for me.

Comment

• Guys, I know I am not crazy but how crazy is this ? o_0

Especially considering the date , the guy who wrote it is a known BJP supporter but is this for real ? Because this guy is kinda legit.

Nostradamus on BJP, Sonia and ...

Michel De Nostredame, better known as Nostradamus (1503-1566), was a famous French astrologer whose predictions - which included the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy and the premature death of the previous Pope - have proved infallibly accurate.
              Last month, unpublished manuscripts of Nostradamus have been discovered (and authenticated) in an old trunk in the French city of Lyon. Curiously, there are two full pages which deal at length with India, particularly with the Bharatiya Janata Party and the just concluded elections. I am giving here the first words in Latin, the language which he used, along with a rough translation in English.

"Politicus Bharatus Janatus Indicus veni grandus est vingtus unus centurus - Congressus oublium est"

The Bharatiya Janata Party will come to dominate India in the 21st century as the Congress will slowly sink into oblivion.

"Malheureusus, duo annum millenium trahisonus idealum est Congressus ressemblum, fautum adoptus est. Electionirium Blanca Madamusattaquum..."

Unfortunately, to achieve power, the BJP may gradually forsake most of its idealism. In the 1999 elections for instance, (Nostradamus made here a prediction error : he said duum millenium - 2000), instead of concentrating on real issues - water, sanitation, education - it will waste all its energies on attacking the White Lady (Sonia Gandhi, we suppose).

But more than these basic issues, which any sincere politician should have at heart, it will not address the real burning changes which India needs to adopt so as to become again a great power.

And Nostradamus goes on to enumerate these changes:

"Congressus independantum Blancum copium est; necessarus changum indianus cumum facus est"

As the Congress had heavily borrowed from the White Man (British) at Independence, it will become necessary to "Indianise" the nation so that it may manifest again its true unique soul.

"Panchayatum villagum empruntus. Sanskritus introdum est. Historicum ecritum manus, daemonus est.Yogum, respirationnus introdum est"

Give back the power to the villages in the form of Panchayat. Reintroduce Sanskrit as the national language. Rewrite Indian History, which had mostly been devised by White Masters. Revive ancient traditional systems such as pranayama, yoga, and incorporate them in the education system and everyday life. Change the Constitution so that democracy may not be perverted as it will be. Privatise the over-staffed iron bird (Indian Airlines), which will have the most expensive fares in the world.

"Malheureusus, secularus montrarus Congressus devenium est, corptionus introdus cancerus est..."

Unhappily again, Nostradamus goes on, the BJP in its eagerness to prove itself secular (secularus is originally a Latin word), will tend to become like the Congress: corruption, bureaucracy, the VIP plague, the madness of subsidies and the hunger for power may eat its inner core as a cancer.

"Americanus octopussus contentus summum est; jaunus manus menacus ignorumest, Gaullus manum oublius est. Aurbindus Ghosus Propehetus ignorum est"

It will try to please the American octopus at the cost of India's integrity, will ignore the great danger of the Yellow Hand (China), will forget that a reunion with Pakistan is utmost importance for the stability of the subcontinent, will shun the friendship of the Gauls (France) and will also disregard the words of its Great Prophet, Aurobindo Ghose.

And this is Nostradamus' scoop - if we may say so: "Politicus Bharatus Janatus interminum dividus duum et novus politicus formus"

After some time, the Bharatiya Janata Party may split into two. Sincere idealists will form a parallel party which will have as its political platform many of the ideals which the BJP had forsaken.

"Indianus pretus reformus est, Grandus nationus manum"

India by that time will be ready for the Big Change and the new party will sweep the polls and implement these reforms.

"Sanskritus savantuus nationalum languus, decentralisumgovernmentus, aryanus theorum mortuum est, dharmum hinduus devenum. Christianum, Islamus influencum"

Scholars will sit down to modernise and simplify Sanskrit; government will be decentralised; India will strive to form of a federation of SAARC countries; the theory of the Aryan invasion will be proved false and it will be shown that Indian civilisation is at least ten thousand years old and has influenced all great ancient civilisations and religions such as Christianity and even Islam.

And finally : "Aurobindus Ghosus realisum est, Indianum Agus ancientus mortum non est"...

And the prophecy of Sri Aurobindo will be fulfilled : "India of the ages is not dead nor has She spoken Her last creative word. And that which She must seek now to awake, is not an anglicised oriental people, docile pupil of the West and doomed to repeat the cycle of the Occident's success and failure, but still the ancient immemorial Shakti recovering Her deepest self, lifting Her head higher towards the supreme sourceof light and strength and turning to discover the complete meaning and vaster form of Her Dharma".

Copyright © 1999 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd
              Last edited by commander; 15 May 14,, 00:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
                Guys, I know I am not crazy but how crazy is this ? o_0

Especially considering the date , the guy who wrote it is a known BJP supporter but is this for real ? Because this guy is kinda legit.
                I got a bridge to sell you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  I got a bridge to sell you.
                  Only if you promise to give me a good deal

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
                    Guys, I know I am not crazy but how crazy is this ? o_0

Nostradamus on BJP, Sonia and ...
                    Errare humanum est, stultus est, sed in mendacio

I think there is also a mention somewhere of Oracle and BladeMaster cussing each other:

Oraculum: unusquisque ad proximum, et vocavit Blademaster misit iratus vices, et alia nomina, quae sunt animal stultum, qui vastior est quam sonat
                    Last edited by antimony; 15 May 14,, 02:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                      Errare humanum est, stultus est, sed in mendacio

I think there is also a mention somewhere of Oracle and BladeMaster cussing each other:

Oraculum: unusquisque ad proximum, et vocavit Blademaster misit iratus vices, et alia nomina, quae sunt animal stultum, qui vastior est quam sonat
                      I think you've been here long enough to know that we need to stick to English only please.

Otherwise I have some choice Lucknowi Hindi for Oracle and you as well (my paternal ancestral bloodlines are Lucknowi, unlike your linguistic ones).

Let's keep it clean these last 24 hours before counting ends. We all represent India and Bharat and Hindustan here. And just to be clear, keeping it clean refers to keeping your labels such as "right wing Hindu nationalist" to yourself. I have not called you anything but Indian. I expect the same courtesy.
                      Last edited by sated buddha; 15 May 14,, 06:49.

Comment

• It's Latin, SB. Still not English, tho ;)
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          It's Latin, SB. Still not English, tho ;)
                          Exactly. Its against the rules. And a senior member should know that by now.

If all of us start taking sideswipes at each other in our languages of choice, soon we will have the Tower of Babel out here.

Comment

• Exit Poll Survey Projects Landslide Victory for BJP

It has been made clear that Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is about to form the next government with many exit polls projecting a clear majority for the alliances in the Lok Sabha elections 2014.

Four channels namely NewsX, India TV, ABP News and CNN-IBN put the NDA well past the halfway mark of 272. NewsX and India TV projected 289 seats for the NDA while ABP News gave it 281 seats.

The leading internet giants Google and Facebook has also planned to launch election portal in India.

Google had launched its elections portal back in November last year, and has since then been adding new features. Last month it added a “Know your Candidate” Map, wherein you could enter your PIN Code to know about the local candidates. This Map will get additional features on counting day and you will be able to view the results for parties on the national level as well as your own constituency. Throughout the day, Google will also make it easy for users to access YouTube live streams from leading news channels.

Google is not the only one launching an election portal in India, and earlier this year, Facebook too had launched an Election Tracker app.

Trends and results will be available from 8:00 AM onwards on 16th May, 2014 @ Indianballot.com
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Commander, more than 41% of India speaks Hindi (and closely associated languages) as its native mother tongue.

That's approximately a little more than HALF a BILLION Indians (specifically around 515 million Indians). As their mother tongue.

Now from the rest, the next 10 major non-Hindi Indian languages, in order of rank:

Bengali 8.1% or 101 million Indians (West Bengal)

Telugu 7.2% or 90 million Indians (Andhra Pradesh)

Marathi 7% or 88 million Indians (Maharashtra)

Tamil 5.9% or 74 million Indians (Tamil Nadu)

Urdu 5% or 63 million Indians (spread over India in pockets)

Gujarati 4.5% or 56 million Indians (Gujarat)

Kannada 3.7% or 46 million Indians (Karnataka)

Malyalam 3.2% or 40 million Indians (Kerala)

Oriya 3.2% or 40 milion Indians (Odisha)

Punjabi 2.8% or 35 million Indians (Punjab)

That's a total of another 635 million Indians (rounded off). Comprising of 9 major non-Hindi speaking states.

The remaining 100 odd million Indians speak another 46 odd other major languages (major here being defined as having at least between 100,000 to 1 million native speakers). Beyond these there are still many many more minor tongues and dialects with native speakers below 100,000 each. All of the NE would be covered here. As would many small and big tribes within major states.

So out of a total population of 1250 million Indians:

515 million are native Hindi speakers

And of the remaining 735 million, at least another 560 million Indians can and do speak Hindi (8 of the 9 major non-Hindi speaking states - definitely enough to converse and be understood and in turn understand) - even if you remove ALL 74 million Tamils from this total (which I highly doubt lookng at the number of them living outside Tamil Nadu for varying lengths of time).

Of the remaining 100 million Indians of the remaining minor non-Hindi language Indians, we know that most of the NE (about 50 odd million Indians) understands and speaks Hindi.

So about 610 million non-native Hindi speaking Indians know enough Hindi to understand what is being said, and in turn speak and converse and get their point across to the other Indian.

So in effect of the 1250 million Indians living in India today, 1125 can speak to each other using ONE LANGUAGE.

Compared to the above, conservative estimates put the number of English speaking Indians at about 125 million or roughly 10% of Indians. There are some other estimates that very loosely expand this number to closer to 15-20% (190-250 million Indians).

At its most wildly flamboyant, that's still ONE BILLION Indians not being able to speak to 250 million of their more Western educated ("elite") compatriots.

The numbers stare us in the face.

Comment

• And somehow Oracle thinks that speaking English will somehow raise a person's standard of living.

Comment

Working...
                                X