Indian government seeks life sentences for Delhi bus rapists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
    As for the death penalty issue, that has never even come close to being an election issue in India. So I can only conclude that the majority of the people are alright with it being there. And for that I'm thankful. The bleeding heart liberals can go take a hike.
    Mostly because the voting public have other priorities. I do support the death penalty myself, but I'm sure there are many objectors out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      It should be for people that advocate it to answer this question, what is rarest of rare ? Will have to see the judgement.

As for me i can give you this gem :)

Can't help the dead.
      We need to make a distinction between the Government (by that I mean the executive) killing its own citizens and the Judiciary killing a convicted citizen (via sentencing) here. Honestly, I have heard arguments made both for as well as against capital punishment, and to a certain extent they all make sense. What I believe is, a person, as a member of a civilized society, has certain responsibilities he/she must adhere to. If the gravity of the offence lies in a certain spectrum the accused (if successfully convicted) must be made accountable to his/her actions. Although what constitutes this threshold and its acceptable propitiation is debatable. It's basic cause and effect, individuals must be made aware that there are consequences accrued by their actions and decisions.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating a tit for tat scenario, but there is no easy answer here.

Comment

It should be for people that advocate it to answer this question, what is rarest of rare ? Will have to see the judgement.
        In the past I was all for the capital punishment. Lately, I am not sure. The system is made by people and sentences are made people. And we all know people are not perfect. So if one in all good will to make a good judgment fails, there is a life gone. I know I wouldn't be able to live with it.

As for me i can give you this gem :)
        On top of that to kill a murderer, you produce another one.

Can't help the dead.
        IDK how he feels everyday of his life. Even he is somehow able to 'forget' what happened, the people will remind him. Day after day, after day.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I'll shoot a rabid dog not out of vengeance but for pest control. These fucks can die for all I care. I'm not going to spend time and effort healing something that can't be healed.

That being said, I just get it over and done with. I'll shoot rabid dogs to get rid of them, not to torture them.

And there is something to be said about enjoying the death of a bad man, you might also learn to enjoy the death of a good man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            In the past I was all for the capital punishment. Lately, I am not sure. The system is made by people and sentences are made people. And we all know people are not perfect. So if one in all good will to make a good judgment fails, there is a life gone. I know I wouldn't be able to live with it.
            My view applies in peace time only.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            On top of that to kill a murderer, you produce another one.
            Even more concise. We as a society are no better. That is the crux of the matter. In dying, the perps bring us down to their level.

A friend told me similar many years ago, it did not take long to understand but enough to raise questions. Nobody had ever put it in that way to me before. I was accustomed/conditioned to equating justice with death penalty and that was it. It gets repeated often enough, it must be true.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            IDK how he feels everyday of his life. Even he is somehow able to 'forget' what happened, the people will remind him. Day after day, after day.
            He's alive, that makes all the difference.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Sep 13,, 21:02.

Comment

• Some add-ons:

Juvenile rapist watched news in stony silence

IMO, this guy deserves something more terrible than capital punishment. Perhaps, living his life with the fear of being lynched everyday is his punishment.

Britain, Amnesty slam death penalty

Sir, tankie
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

He's alive, that makes all the difference.
                You're not a father.

Comment

• My point is that its better the victim survive the ordeal.

This actually is a good reason not to have a death penalty for rape as is popularly advocated in India. As the rapist does not have a reason to kill his victim after.

Comment

My point is that its better the victim survive the ordeal.
                    Survive that trauma? Being raped by a stick? By that many fucks?

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    This actually is a good reason not to have a death penalty for rape as is popularly advocated in India. As the rapist does not have a reason to kill his victim after.
                    There's a story about John Gotti's mother. She was mugged and the police caught him ... and told him who he mugged.

Comment

I am curious. How much influence the Gov has on the courts and is it like that by design or just some power grabbing from the highest officials?

Ask you this because in many places that want to be democracies, the courts are separated from the government's influence. At least on paper.
                      On paper, the judiciary is independent but in the real world there are influences and it is not just the government but the public anger. The judiciary knows that the public has expressed great dissatisfaction with the judiciary and the judiciary is walking on a tightrope for fear of angering the populace less they call for a revolution and overthrow the judiciary system.

But in this case, the judiciary went by the evidence and the law and adhered to the law, for example, they only gave a three year sentence, the maximum possible for a juvenile and tested him to be a juvenile even though they knew that he was the most heinous dastardly evil bastard in this rape and they so much wanted to try him as an adult but the law was the law and bone marrow test revealed him to be a juvenile and the court remanded him to juvenile court. The government wanted to try him as an adult but was overruled by the court. So I don't know if that is enough to demonstrate judiciary independence.

Comment

• How is a death sentence imposed in India? Will they hanged in a public venue or in solitude?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                          How is a death sentence imposed in India? Will they hanged in a public venue or in solitude?
                          Solitude. In presence of the Jail Warden and few select officers & ofcourse the hangman.
                          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• I find it a bit absurd that there is still dead by hanging.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Capital Punishment was given for Rape per se, there was a murder here. Indian laws on Rape remains,and my opinion they are severe enough

Comment

I find it a bit absurd that there is still dead by hanging.
                                What do you propose? Throwing them off a cliff?

Comment

Working...
                                X