Jammu & Kashmir Priest arrested for conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jammu & Kashmir Priest arrested for conversions

What tolerance can one expect when muslims are in majority?...contrast this to the innocent appeals made by them for a "community centre" in ground zero in NYC

SRINAGAR: All Saints church pastor C M Khanna, accused of converting young Muslim boys and girls, was arrested by the Jammu & Kashmir police late on Saturday and charged under Section 153-A and 295-A, with "deliberately hurting the religious sentiments of the people to disturb peace".

J&K does not have laws against religious conversions through allurement, etc. Fr Khanna's criminality was established by a grainy cellphone video showing him baptising some Kashmiri Muslim men.

This video (on youtube) surfaced a few weeks ago and caused a stir. The head of the Sharia court in Kashmir, Mufti Mohd Bashiruddin, "summoned" Fr Khanna. There, the pastor is said to have "confessed" to his crime. The grand mufti later told local reporters that the reverend's activities would not be tolerated. "There will be serious consequences of this. We will implement our part and the government should implement its," the Mufti said. Less than 24 hours later, the priest was in the lockup.

On Sunday, at the All Saints church, fear was palpable. Khanna's flock huddled around as cops stood guard. A CID team rummaged through his office documents. The allegation against him is that 15 boys and girls converted by Khanna were lured by money, a charge denied by Fr Khanna and other church officials.

The police, too, have several different versions. While senior officers said they are investigating the case, others allege they have sworn statements from two converts that they indeed did accept money to convert. The FIR against the priest, however, makes no mention of these statements.

The FIR was lodged by the cops themselves late on Saturday; there's no complainant. "We took suo motu notice and booked the priest," said IGP Kashmir S M Sahai. Meanwhile, Srinagar's Christians allege that some of those converted shown in the video were picked up by the police.

It does appear that the administration's action against the priest is in response to street protests triggered by the news of conversions as well as a recent Facebook page containing blasphemous photographs on Islam. Even Kashmir University students came out and raised slogans against conversions. But the government was left without an option after a public display of unity by separatist leaders.

Strangely, the pastor's arrest has been met with complete silence from human rights groups.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/10811002.cms

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
    What tolerance can one expect when muslims are in majority?...contrast this to the innocent appeals made by them for a "community centre" in ground zero in NYC

Jammu and Kashmir priest arrested for religious conversions - The Times of India
    Captain,

I see a case for India's ambulance chasers ... and perhaps one good lawyer who will make supreme court judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Captain,

I see a case for India's ambulance chasers ... and perhaps one good lawyer who will make supreme court judge.
      Sir,

The priest was arrested to appease the hardliners....and charged with "hurting religious sentiments"...Nothing much will happen, simply because the pastor belongs to a Methodist or Protestant church, which is not as powerful as the Catholic church (simply because they have one voice) in India.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sir,

The priest was arrested to appease the hardliners....and charged with "hurting religious sentiments"...Nothing much will happen, simply because the pastor belongs to a Methodist or Protestant church, which is not as powerful as the Catholic church (simply because they have one voice) in India.
        Captain,

You mean to tell me that no lawyer in India does not relish this case?

Comment

Captain,

You mean to tell me that no lawyer in India does not relish this case?
          None sir, even the human rights groups are silent.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

If Pastor Khanna can be arrested for "forced conversions" then why isn't the police taking action against these gentlemen.

And where are the bleeding heart liberals.
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

And I always thought that the Chinese were sane people who didn't believe in religion

Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

medic,
                If you can send me the links, maybe I can send it to the people who can use it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

None sir, even the human rights groups are silent.
                  I cannot believe that there's no lawyer in India who does not relish in establishing Constitutional Law.

Comment

medic,
                    If you can send me the links, maybe I can send it to the people who can use it.
                    Sir, these videos are only the tip of the iceberg. It took me 5 seconds to get them. Do a search on Zakir Naik and you will get tons of videos. It typically features a lecture session and then questions from the audience.

15 People Convert to Islam in Mumbai By Dr Zakir Naik - YouTube

An Indian Girl Converted to Islam...Dr.Zakir Naik - YouTube

Hindu Girl 'Muni Archan' Embracing Islam by the hand of Mufti Naeem Head of Jamia Binori Madressah Karachi 14 04 2010 - YouTube

50 Chinese convert to Islam in Saudi Arabia - July 2011 - YouTube
                    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I cannot believe that there's no lawyer in India who does not relish in establishing Constitutional Law.
                      Sir, the moment any lawyer even beeps for Pastor Khanna, he will be accused as an RSS/BJP agent. That's the way things run in India.
                      Poor people suffer here including Hindus/Muslims/Christians but the "victims" only seem to be Muslims. And the people at the forefront of "protecting" the Muslims are the liberals who are trying to be the Indian version of the fools living in USA.
                      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

No lawyer would take up this case. Not in pseudo secular India. Replace muslims with Hindus here and you would've have had the entire media, human rights Orgs, NGO, leftists, self righteous btchs and what not, to jump into the fray to defend the "minority".

After all, we have a central minister in India (who is a hindu btw) who addressed Osama as Osamaji (with complete respect) and still continues to be a influential figure in Indian politics.

Why they have a separate nation for muslims in sub-continent is beyond me. They might as well join the Indian union and rule by proxy. There are thousands of politicians who are only happy to do their bidding.
                        Last edited by hammer; 22 Nov 11,, 10:04.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

IIRC, ~1 million lawyers in India and not ONE to make a case? :slap:

Oh and I think Methodists are also a minority. Even more, a minor minority:whome:
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

What is the reason behind posting this news in a defense and geopolitics thread?

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
                              And I always thought that the Chinese were sane people who didn't believe in religion

Are you saying religious people are insane?

And out of 1.3 billion Chinese, 50 is like, really significant.

Comment

Working...
                              X