Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    You've also massed for a B-52 strike
    Sir, the FDLs in the open deserts are even more identifiable and clearer target for the B-52s.
    In nodal points the frontage and identification of the FDLs will be very difficult to identify, unless one actually comes into contact.
    If I keep all intra formation communications on landlines with very little radio traffic, enemy sig int will not be able to triangulate the HQs.

Besides, zraver did say that AD assets were capable enough

I would have my formations give the fly boys nice and juicy targets that they can bomb...gun locations/ dug in tanks/ inf FDLs/ ....everything can be prepared wth left over GW1 war junk.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
      Not really, as nodal defence is being sighted for all round defence, but the sub-units, i.e the battalions are organised for all round defence.
      Note for the non-military Wabbits - being sighted for all round defence is deploying to face the enemy on all sides like a circle; being organised is delpoying to face the enemy from a given expected line of approach like a semi-circle or less.

The mech/armd units are the maneuver troops who hit the enemy and race back causing attrition.
      Who said holding formations become stagnant? We practice everything, defence/attack.
      The organisation of nodal defence is formations is mainly in Brigade level combat groups.
      Sir, in an urban environment your mech units would be your limited reaction/sally forces but the bulk of your garrison would be a fortress set up.

Even moving it into the desert itself poses problems. Modern air and MLRS (1991) was so incredibly effective against log trains and C3 sites that the INA collapsed with very few combat causalities. I know India has developed a similar capability with its Smerch systems and Pakistan is copying with its A-100's.

Comment

Sir, the FDLs in the open deserts are even more identifiable and clearer target for the B-52s.
        In nodal points the frontage and identification of the FDLs will be very difficult to identify, unless one actually comes into contact.
        If I keep all intra formation communications on landlines with very little radio traffic, enemy sig int will not be able to triangulate the HQs.

Besides, zraver did say that AD assets were capable enough

I would have my formations give the fly boys nice and juicy targets that they can bomb...gun locations/ dug in tanks/ inf FDLs/ ....everything can be prepared wth left over GW1 war junk.
        Captain, unless you buried your stuff, the sun is a terrible enemy. Your guns and vehicles are going to light up like a Christmas tree under infra red. And if you buried them, you need time to bring them out. Time you don't have.

Comment

Captain, unless you buried your stuff, the sun is a terrible enemy. Your guns and vehicles are going to light up like a Christmas tree under infra red. And if you buried them, you need time to bring them out. Time you don't have.
          Sir, if I can take the trouble to deploy decoys in the desert, and even make them look real, don't you think I would ensure that the guns and vehicles are taken care off....undgerground parking, stilt parking areas of buildings. With the amount of corrugated tin sheets available, how many can be shaped in to dummy veh, guns and real veh sheds is amazing. How many will you bomb?..I'll be shooting back too, my sig int will be triangulating your command echlons too, and I'll be targetting them too, causing attrition and harassment.

The advantage in deserts is that either side can trade time and distance.
          Last edited by lemontree; 05 Jul 13,, 05:34.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Sir, in an urban environment your mech units would be your limited reaction/sally forces but the bulk of your garrison would be a fortress set up.
            Z, as you are aware in nodal point defence, the strong points are in mutual support. For an attacker to defeat a nodal point, he has to invest and encirle it, and for that you need a lot of troops, that takes time. Besides the attacker is in the open with no prepared defences, the defenders arty can rip him apart and the remanents will be carried away by the fast mobile units. So investment will be difficult and bleed you out of troops needed for another area.

The neighbouring nodal points will be attacking your rear echlons.

Even moving it into the desert itself poses problems. Modern air and MLRS (1991) was so incredibly effective against log trains and C3 sites that the INA collapsed with very few combat causalities.
            The Iraqis generals had already lost the war in their minds before it had started.
            Last edited by lemontree; 05 Jul 13,, 05:27.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sir, if I can take the trouble to deploy decoys in the desert, and even make them look real, don't you think I would ensure that the guns and vehicles are taken care off....undgerground parking, stilt parking areas of buildings. With the amount of corrugated tin sheets available, how many can be shaped in to dummy veh, guns and real veh sheds is amazing. How many will you bomb?..I'll be shooting back too, my sig int will be triangulating your command echlons too, and I'll be targetting them too, causing attrition and harassment.

The advantage in deserts is that either side can trade time and distance.
              Underground parking is easy. We bombed the entrances. The first thing is any electrical source of any significance and that's TV and any antennae. Captain, during the Kuwait War, a target was bombed no less than 6 times to make sure it stayed out of commission. In other words, the Allied Forces had more bombs than they did targets.

Comment

Underground parking is easy. We bombed the entrances.
                Only if you find them sir. Then the defenders will be shooting back too. Use spotters, light up AD radars when the air raid is on and take on the departing aircraft with multiple salvos.

The first thing is any electrical source of any significance and that's TV and any antennae. Captain, during the Kuwait War, a target was bombed no less than 6 times to make sure it stayed out of commission. In other words, the Allied Forces had more bombs than they did targets.
                Sir, I did mention that I will not be emitting any radio traffic, I will be functioning via landline comm with most units before active hostilities break out.
                I will force the attacker to guess my locations.

I will have evacuated all civilian population if possible to depth areas to reduce my worries as garrison commander, of feeding them and their safety.

I will force the enemy to engage and give battle on ground.

The appreciation template that we study during Junior Command is a lovely piece of risk-assesment exercise, one can plan for all that the enemy will throw at him and plan his own defensive or offensive battle plan.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Only if you find them sir. Then the defenders will be shooting back too. Use spotters, light up AD radars when the air raid is on and take on the departing aircraft with multiple salvos.
                  HARM. There's a hell of a lot of them.

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                  Sir, I did mention that I will not be emitting any radio traffic, I will be functioning via landline comm with most units before active hostilities break out.
                  Can't hide electromagnetic signatures. Sure, batteries are almost undetectable but anything to turn on the lights at night or even to run an HQ will light up like a Christmas tree.

Comment

HARM. There's a hell of a lot of them.
                    I know sir, I am just guessing that in an air strike how would this sort of tactic work. Maybe the ADA experts and Chogy can throw some light on working in a no air cover scenario.

Can't hide electromagnetic signatures. Sure, batteries are almost undetectable but anything to turn on the lights at night or even to run an HQ will light up like a Christmas tree.
                    Sir, in war time there is complete black out especially in nodal defence after the civilians have been evacuated. Only the under ground bunkers will have lights on.
                    I am sure we all have practiced that during exercises too.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Z, as you are aware in nodal point defence, the strong points are in mutual support. For an attacker to defeat a nodal point, he has to invest and encirle it, and for that you need a lot of troops, that takes time. Besides the attacker is in the open with no prepared defences, the defenders arty can rip him apart and the remanents will be carried away by the fast mobile units. So investment will be difficult and bleed you out of troops needed for another area.

The neighbouring nodal points will be attacking your rear echlons.

The Iraqis generals had already lost the war in their minds before it had started.
                      Sir, been tried, and against a modern army with modern training, leadership, weapons, sensing and command of the air its about as useful as throwing spit wads at the attacker. Against an enemy with all weather 24/7 command of the air with assets loitering for targets your reserves can't move. In the face of counter-battery radars artillery can't effectively mutually support since it doesn't have room to displace. Some of your assets are facing the wrong way, some is in the wrong place etc.

Unless you can level the playing field so that your reserves can move its a doomed fortress defense.

Comment

• Yes Z I'm aware of that. I idea was to war game in the disadvantaged situation that the Iraqi were, and how they could have put up a better show.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Actually, I can't think of one. I was going to suggest that they attack Saudi Arabia before the US got there but they weren't ready. By the time they were ready, the 82nd and the 101st were well entrenched with sufficient air support to destroy any Iraqi advance. They might take the border towns like Khafji but that's it. The American build up would continue and this time, the Iraqis won't have a chance to build their fortifications. B52 strikes around the clock from the US on exposed targets.

Comment

Working...
                          X