• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Document Available From the US Army Center of Military History

https://history.army.mil/html/books/...-17/index.html

The U.S. Army Campaigns of the Civil War

The Civil War Ends

Mark L. Bradley

Quite a bit of action still occurred after the surrender fo Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. This short volume documents them all.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

thanks, this was an excellent read.

the South was very, very lucky the North had disciplined commanders by 1865, especially right after Lincoln's assassination.

it would have been so easy for a few officers to just turn a blind eye, and the men were in such a state that things could have gotten very ugly indeed.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Yeah Eric, I am always amazed at the original generous terms that Sherman gave Johnston on 22 April 65.

If Sherman were half the war criminal that Lost Causers like to say his army group would have turned on Johnston's troops and massacred them.

Absolute discipline...plus everyone just wanted it to be over!

BTW, the whole series is quite good...and takes up a far amount of disk space on my computer!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

indeed -- this killed my lunch hour. one thing led to another, and the reference to 25-year old Brig Gen Emory Upton's innovative tactics led down the dark path of Wikipedia...

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Saved so I can read later as I read a few pages last night and realized I could be up way past my bedtime after a previous night of crappy sleep.

Comment

Working...
          X