No announcement yet.

Today in history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you respect others view, than you will know there is no such a think of "western media"
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by xinhui View Post
      If you respect others view, than you will know there is no such a think of "western media"
      Westen media means media in West countries such as BBC ,CNN .

Welcome
      Last edited by seskissinger; 19 Feb 09,, 10:36.

Comment

• 1986: Soviets launch space station Mir

The Soviets have opened a new phase in space exploration with the launch of the world's biggest space station, Mir.

The successful launch of Mir comes just over three weeks after the American space shuttle Challenger disaster, in which seven astronauts died.

At next week's Communist Party congress in Moscow the Mir project is likely to be hailed as proof that the Soviets are leading the peaceful exploration of space.

Mir, which means both peace and world in Russian, is intended to provide a base for a permanently manned complex orbiting the Earth.

Too costly

It succeeds the Soviet Salyut models, the last of which, Salyut 7, was launched in April 1982 and is still in orbit.

The Americans also had a space station, Skylab, which suffered damage on its initial launch and eventually proved too costly to maintain and fell back to Earth in 1979.

Soviet officials say their new craft represents the transition from research to large-scale production activities in space.

The station has six docking stations, which means other modules or laboratories can be added to it, expanding its size and capability.

Remain in orbit

The deputy head of the Soviet cosmonaut training centre, Alexei Leonov, said it would only be possible to determine how long Mir would remain in orbit after it had completed its first flight.

He said the cosmonauts, now taking part in a special training programme, would have separate cabins with windows and even individual desks and armchairs.

Mr Leonov explained that Salyut 7 was too small for the plans now being implemented by Soviet experts.

It has only two docking stations and can support a crew of only three, whereas Mir can carry between six and ten people.

The main work of the first cosmonauts on board Mir will be to continue with the experiments in materials processing, begun on Salyut 6 and 7.

Other activities will include observation of the Earth using high-powered cameras, as well as helping locate mineral deposits on Earth and monitor the seas for trawlers.

In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• some minor scientific equipment for Mir was made in the small community i grew up.
          During snowball fight 9 year old me threw a snowball through the glass of the assembly room, where the instruments were. I got yelled at by my dad, but at least i feel part of history now. :)
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• 1864 Confederates win the Battle of Olustee, FL
            1947 ADM Louis Montbatten is made viceroy of India
            1962 John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• 21 February 1972: Nixon makes historic visit to China

The American President Richard Nixon has arrived in China at the start of a week-long summit aimed at ending 20 years of frosty relations between the two countries.

His visit began with an unexpected audience with Chairman Mao Zedong at the leader's home. Few details have been released, but officials said the one-hour meeting involved a "serious and frank discussion".

After a modest reception at Peking airport, the president was formally welcomed at a lavish banquet held in the Great Hall of the People and hosted by Prime Minister Chou En-lai.

Years of tension

Mr Chou described Mr Nixon's long journey to China as a "positive move" responding to the wishes of the peoples of both countries.

He hinted at the years of tension between China and the United States - largely due to American support for nationalists in Taiwan - and credited both governments for "common efforts" to open the gate to better contacts at last.

The president responded positively. "There is no reason for us to be enemies," he said. "Neither of us seeks the territory of the other; neither of us seeks domination over the other; neither of us seeks to stretch out our hands and rule the world."

Using one of Mao's own quotations, Mr Nixon said it was time to seize the day and seize the hour "for our two peoples to rise to the heights of greatness which can build a new and better world".

There followed an elaborate round of toasts, in which the 800 guests at the banquet wandered from table to table clinking thimble-sized glasses containing Chinese firewater.

Commentators said the elaborate banquet was in marked contrast to the coolness of the president's reception at the airport.

This historic visit was engineered by the president's national security adviser, Dr Henry Kissinger, during two visits to China last year. It is part of a policy of rapprochement aimed at restoring diplomatic relations between the two sides
              One question. What exactly is Chinese Firewater, and where can I get some?
              Last edited by Parihaka; 20 Feb 09,, 20:53.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                Chinese supermarket?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• pari,

that was the most masochistic statement i've heard in quite a while.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• triple distill rice wine. 53% alcohol.

Here is the picture of the most famous firewater.
                    Attached Files
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Thank you Gentlemen. Astralis, I'll try anything once, in fact quite often twice.
                      So from what Xinhui says, it could be roughly equated to a potent saki?
                      If so, I'll try it thrice, and I think I recognise that bottle from wandering through the aisles of Yans Supermarket.

Leibniz

Comment

triple distill rice wine. 53% alcohol.

Here is the picture of the most famous firewater.
                        Oh that. I haven't seen that for a long time. Is it aged at all? Doesn't sound like it. I remember long ago my dad opened a bottle and the smell was just not right. So he poured it down the drain.

Comment

• I stop drink that S**T since college, it is not worth it.

Comment

I stop drink that S**T since college, it is not worth it.
                            Bad tatoos, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Bad tatoos, eh?
                              :))

So if that make is rotgut, is there a good brand? Kinda like Wilsons whisky vs Glenmorangie?

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                                Bad tatoos, eh?
                                My brain hurts just to think about all those long mornings

Comment

Working...
                                X