Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Manchu China

Hi,

I actually need help with the history of Manchu China and Siberia.

I am doing a paper on "military conquests of Manchu China and Siberia".

Any info regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, who ruled during each conquest and for how long. Details of the conquests would be
    great as well.

Thanks! :)

Preferably more details, like what general time-period are we talking about? Are you referring to the imperial period, or when the Kwantung/IJA ruled Manchuria?
    "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Anything involving military conquest of Mongolia or Serbia from the Qin Dynasty (221 BCE) onward.

Details on the treaties would be very helpful.

Comment

Pls note Siberia and Serbia are very different places.

Comment

Why on earth pick a topic if you have no idea about it?
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Because his teacher knows less than he does and he can be a smartass without being called upon.

Comment

Your question will be better answered in "Chinese History Forum". Personally, I wouldn't do a paper on "military conquests of Manchu China and Siberia". The scope is just too big. You are talking about Qin, Han, Gao Wei, Gojoseon, Donghu, Xianbei(Northern Wei and Former Yan), Khitan(Liao Dynasty), Jurchen(Jin Dynasty and Qing Dynasty), Tang, Yuan, Ming, Qing, Republic of China, Japan, Russia, Soviet Union and People Republic of China.

Comment

You are wasting time on someone who won't use Google.
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  Pls note Siberia and Serbia are very different places.
                  My mistake for typing Serbia, I meant Siberia.

All: The topic of the paper was selected by my professor. I did Google this topic but also wondered if anyone here have anything more to add. Maybe there is something I missed. I was told to concentrate on just the military conquests and the treaties. I don't need to know what they ate or how they lived.

If I am being a bother, then I am sorry for imposing.

When I joined, I was told there are members here that are very knowledgeable on Chinese history. My history class is on China.
                  Last edited by Persey; 21 Apr 11,, 05:33.

Comment

Correction: I need from Qing dynasty forward. With heavy focus on when Russians first made contact with Chinese tribes in the Amur River Basin region. Hence, all the treaties that followed. Also heavy emphasis on the treaties between China and Russia.

Comment

What's more to add? I could tell you tons but unless your prof knows me, I am an unknown source. For all you know, I could be BSing you. And Russia's first contacts were with the Khanates of Central Asia and it was the Russians being stomped.

Comment

Heh, the Rus Civilization came pretty close to being ended at the hands of the Mongols (though given the dramatic shift in direction of the Russian civilization after the Tartar yoke, you might as well argue that the real Rus Civilziation was ended when the Mongols sacked Kiev anyway)

Anyway, Siberia and Machuria needs to be seperated, there is some overlap of the two in terms of terrirtory but when people discuss history involving Siberia it's usually the western portions of it and not the eastern. (which was nearly completely unihabited except it's cross over areas with Manchuria)

FYI , essentially what you want to write about boils down to..

Russian Machu Border conflicts
                        Treaty of Nerchinsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Treaty of Kyakhta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Treaty of Aigun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Amur Annexation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially, the intial contacts of the Russian with the Qing dynasty resulted in some battles that generally ended more in favor of the Machus, but as the Qing dynasty began to decline and face the threat of imperialist expansions Russia got into the act and was really the biggest winner amongest the Imperial powers great game of China . as their gains were almost all permenant, AND they shed the least blood in achieving the result (basically they just took advantage of the situation and blackmailed the Qing dynasty into most of those later treaties.)

AND they succeeded in having Mongolia becomming their vassal an independent state

And they even managed to install a puppet pro Russia government into China after 1949. ;)
                        Last edited by RollingWave; 21 Apr 11,, 15:30.

Comment

I think he is talking about the Treaty of Nerchinsk and the Russia and Manchu border conflicts. The Russians(Cossacks) were defeated. It reminded me of the wuxia novel(The Dear and the Cauldron) by Jin Yong that I had read when I was a teenager.

The puppet pro Russia government became the anti-Russia government under the crazy dictator Mao. At least we don't have to deal with the fake Chinese and corrupted dictator Chiang.
                          Last edited by kyli; 21 Apr 11,, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by kyli View Post
                            I think he is talking about the Treaty of Nerchinsk and the Russia and Manchu border conflicts. The Russians(Cossacks) were defeated. It reminded me of the wuxia novel(The Dear and the Cauldron) by Jin Yong that I had read when I was a teenager.

The puppet pro Russia government became the anti-Russia government under the crazy dictator Mao. At least we don't have to deal with the fake Chinese and corrupted dictator Chiang.
                            Which somehow turned into a viberant wealthy democracy, funny how things turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
                              Which somehow turned into a viberant wealthy democracy, funny how things turn out.
                              For a small island south of China, KMT finally put its act together only until a few decades of ruthless dictatorship. As much as I dislike CCP, I am less fond of KMT and have less faith of this incompetent entity.

Comment

Working...
                              X