When did christianity stop being a pacifist religon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did christianity stop being a pacifist religon

I have been reading about the willingness to be martyred during the mid 3rd century then again under Diocletian and it is so different than the attitude of 5and 6th century christiandom toward arianism and monophysites. It makes me think that maybe the issue with christian violence is the exact same as muslim violence. As long as it was a state religon it couldn't tolerate dissent and state's that were theocratic in nature were hostile to non believers.
    Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
    ~Ronald Reagan

Since Roman Catholic Church was established. I don't recall other Christian churches start a war.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      I don't recall other Christian churches start a war.
      Puritans.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

^^ I stand corrected.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Till the enlightenment catholic and protestant hostility caused for than a few wars.
          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

The thing is once disengaged from the state apparatus christianity became much more tolerant. I wonder if the same wouldnt be true of Islam. Maybe christianities past has a lesson inthere. Look at Turkey's secular history.
            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
              I have been reading about the willingness to be martyred during the mid 3rd century then again under Diocletian and it is so different than the attitude of 5and 6th century christiandom toward arianism and monophysites. It makes me think that maybe the issue with christian violence is the exact same as muslim violence. As long as it was a state religon it couldn't tolerate dissent and state's that were theocratic in nature were hostile to non believers.
              Atilla's march on Rome.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                The thing is once disengaged from the state apparatus christianity became much more tolerant. I wonder if the same wouldnt be true of Islam. Maybe christianities past has a lesson inthere. Look at Turkey's secular history.
                I'd reword it a bit. When christianity was forcibly disengaged from the state apparatus it became much less powerful and less able to enforce its intolerance. The same is true for Islam.
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I am going to be picky.

Christianity is not an organized church; it's a guide for living. No religion is an organization.

The Catholic (universal) church evolved into a organization primarily to be an arbiter of what the teachings meant. There had been problems from the very beginning with misunderstandings of what the teachings meant. Many of Paul's letters in the New Testament were written to correct misinterpretations.

In any case, we ought to distinguish between defenders of the faith and the faith itself. Among the former were a good number of intolerant, cruel and violent men. But they stands in contrast to Christian teaching, which itself is
                  a way notable for tolerance, non-violence, and love of neighbor.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    Puritans.
                    Arianic, Nicene (protocatholic), Orthodox, Lutheran and pretty much every other Christian denomination too at some point in the last 2,000 years...

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      Arianic, Nicene (protocatholic), Orthodox, Lutheran and pretty much every other Christian denomination too at some point in the last 2,000 years...
                      Wait a minute we are talking about:

a) Wars started because the church asked for them or started it
                      b) Rulers who started wars over religious issues

Comment

a). For the most part.

Comment

Don't know about the other churches, but am not aware the Orthodox ever called for war, can you please enlight me?

Comment

There is none.Russians once talked about liberating Jerusalem for the cause of christendom,but those were political calls,not coming from church.
                            We do have a clean record in that matter.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

From a technical viewpoint, the first crusade (by Urban II.) was launched on request from the Patriarch of Constantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X