No announcement yet.

Military / War Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"To Hell with Babe Ruth. To Hell with Babe Ruth".

Taught to Japanese soldiers to yell during a charge thinking the Americans would be so angry at an insult to our baseball hero that we wouldn't be able to shoot straight.

In WW II, my aunt had a boyfriend who was in the Marine Corps. He was in a battle at the time the Japanese were charging up a hill yelling that phrase.

He said that their marksmanship was off a bit as a result.

But from laughter rather than anger.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      "To Hell with Babe Ruth. To Hell with Babe Ruth". ...
      Methinks it might have had something to do with their pronunciation. (I know that hearing my enemy yelling "To here with Babe Luth!" would cause me quite a chuckle!) ;)

& one of my favorite military quotes:

"Diplomats are just as essential in starting a war as soldiers are in finishing it." --Will Rogers--

I'm also quite partial to Gen. MacArthur's speech (in it's entirety), given when he was awarded the Sylvanus Thayer Award at West Point on 12 May, 1962--some refer to it as his "Duty, Honor, Country" speech. But here, a portion:

"... You are the leaven which binds together the entire fabric of our national system of defense. From your ranks come the great captains who hold the nation's destiny in their hands the moment the war tocsin sounds. The Long Gray Line has never failed us. Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses thundering those magic words: Duty, Honor, Country.

This does not mean that you are war mongers.

On the contrary, the soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. ..."
      If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

"Be polite. Be professional. But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Unknown
        "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

The one which I find most inspiring :

To all men living on this Earth, death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than by facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers ,the temples of his Gods?” — Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

"We make war that we may live in peace"

Aristides (The Just) 530 - 468BC
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Well This one was supposed to have said by Field Marshall Sam Manexshaw of the Indian Army 1971 When he was a General PM asked Sam to attack
              Pakistan Both the East & West He cooly replyed NO! every one was shocked
              He continued not till the snow fall beigns in the himalayas still every one was somewhat puzzled so that the chinese cannot cross snow covered himalayas
              to assist pakistan.
              Well a funny one is that Lt.General Niayzi the commanding officer of east pakistan said that indians should cross over his dead body into Dacca well he surrendered thinking that survival is better than valour

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                "To Hell with Babe Ruth. To Hell with Babe Ruth".

Taught to Japanese soldiers to yell during a charge thinking the Americans would be so angry at an insult to our baseball hero that we wouldn't be able to shoot straight.

In WW II, my aunt had a boyfriend who was in the Marine Corps. He was in a battle at the time the Japanese were charging up a hill yelling that phrase.

He said that their marksmanship was off a bit as a result.

But from laughter rather than anger.
                They were also said to scream "F#@$ Eleanor Rossevelt!"

Had about the same effect!!!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

'I’m not lost'
                  'I’m just geographically embarrassed'

Most new officers

Regards
                  Pioneer

Comment

I like a lot of Sun Tzu's quotes

Regards
                    Pioneer

Comment

I cannot surrender. I am in command of Australians who would cut my throat if I did.
                      Colonel C Hore, Elands River, South Africa

Comment

Robert E. Lee

My personal favorite is this one from General Lee.

We Made a fatal mistake at the beginning of our struggle, and I fear, in spite all we can do, it will prove to be a fatal mistake. We appointed all of our worst generals to command our armies, and all our best generals to edit the newspapers

Comment

My favorite quote. One that I use to have across from my desk so I could refer to it when I lost focus on what needed to be done as both a Platoon Sgt and as a Company and Battery Gunny.

Its the quote that Sir John Forster "Sandy" Woodward Rear Adm RN wrote and posted in his wardroom during that little incident the Brits had back in 1982.

It still guide me.

What is it today, that I will wish tomorrow I had done yesterday
                          The one I had hanging on the wall so the Sergeants could see it: 2 actually

"The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."

and

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both."

Both By Field Marshal Rommel
                          Now some favorite quotes about Marines

One thats near and dear to my heart:

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
                          General John W. Vessey Jr., United States Army; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff During the assault on Grenada; 1983.
                          "I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"
                          General Douglas MacArthur, US Army
                          "Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever
                          witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult,
                          plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I
                          have had the pleasure to meet. " An Anonymous Canadian Citizen:
                          You guys knew I couldn't resist
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 03 May 08,, 05:38.

Comment

"you can run me, you can beat me, you can kill me.......but just don't bore me!"

"Improvise, adapt and overcome"

"Well, at least if you got your boots on, you can walk into combat"

Clint Eastwood as Gunny Highway- Heartbreak Ridge.

Comment

Oh! I forgot my favorite of his.

"Everyone of you better fall out in that street right now before I kick your asses right off this f***ing planet!!!!
                              SFC Burke
                              I like that one because I swear my own plt sgt said that way before the movie came out. And he said it often.

Comment

It is easier to fight against allies than to be one of them.--Napoleon.

The only thing worse than having allies is not having them.--Churchill.

Comment

Working...
                                X