Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernow (Cornwall).

Comment

Was Cornwall an independent country in the 20th century? I thought it was part of Britian since before the Battle of Hastings or something like that...

Comment

Austria-Hungary. The only major state from the above list seemed to have invested more into the society than into the military; a bitter victim of nationalism, the ideology that is still causing wars around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by pate View Post
          Was Cornwall an independent country in the 20th century? I thought it was part of Britian since before the Battle of Hastings or something like that...
          You are correct of course, I was just having a gripe.:)

Comment

I have to say pre-German empire Prussia. Such a shame that it was corrupted by nationalism.

Comment

Originally posted by PatriotSon View Post
              I have to say pre-German empire Prussia. Such a shame that it was corrupted by nationalism.
              Indeed, that a small corner of the world (Prussia) should call itself German...

Or such a shame that it was corrupted by other languages...

Comment

Originally posted by PatriotSon View Post
                Its a a shame the whole world was corrupted.

Comment

The Russian Empie if not corrupted by communism may have evolved into a democracy.

Comment

Empire sorry

Comment

Favorite defunct Country

Rhodesia of Course.

The only British African colony that had no Racist Laws. (Yeah, Really! There were even Black MPs).
                      Land of enormous fillet steaks, v. cold beer and nymphomaniacs. All year round perfect weather, non-existent crime and it was legal to tell jokes and smoke fags in the pub.

Of course its successor state is better, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by great one View Post
                        The Russian Empie if not corrupted by communism may have evolved into a democracy.
                        Mob rule in a different form.

Comment

Karakalpakistan :) lol say that 10 times fast (just kiddin but it did exist)
                          Karakalpakstan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

when was it ever independent?

Comment

This is a really good example of an old thread worth going back to - for the mindboggling diversity and ambition I picked Austria-Hungary a few years ago, but now I've changed my mind.
                              It's still my number two, but number one is definitely the Spanish Republic of '36, VIVA LA REPUBLICA, FRANCO NO!

The posters were awesome as well:

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Seeing this thread again, I have to say that many of the selections aren't truly 20th century nations. Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire especially seem like relics of the 19th century, a hangover from an earlier time period.

As for the Third Reich (German Reich seems to be a more appropriate name for the German Empire), who could say it was their favorite defunct 20th century state? I find the WWII period to be extremely fascinating, but to call the Third Reich one's favorite defunct state... umm, no.
                                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                                X