No announcement yet.

Will SARS make a come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish prosecutors launch investigation after bodies found inside senior homes
    Workers say protocols prohibit them from touching corpses and complain funerary services are taking 24 hours to show up

Miguel González
    |
    María Sosa Troya
    Madrid - 24 mar 2020 - 11:08 CET

The situation inside Spain’s senior homes, which have been hard hit by the coronavirus epidemic, is even more dramatic than previously thought.

On Monday, Defense Minister Margarita Robles revealed that the army’s Emergency Military Unit (UME), which is providing these centers with medical and cleanup assistance, has found “seniors in a state of complete abandonment, when not directly dead in their beds.”

Workers are putting themselves on the line, without resources, without healthcare support, without protective gear

José Manuel Ramírez, president of the Association of Social Services Directors and Managers

Late on Monday, public prosecutors announced an investigation into allegations that there are “elderly people, some of them sick, living in extreme conditions and with poor hygiene” at senior residences. Reports of deceased residents will also be investigated, and prosecutors will determine whether there is any criminal liability.

“We are going to be absolutely implacable and forceful about the treatment that seniors are getting in those residences,” said Robles in statements on TV network Telecinco’s magazine show El Programa de Ana Rosa. After asserting that most centers are treating residents adequately, the minister added that “the weight of the law will fall on those who fail to meet their obligations.”

Overwhelmed

But workers at these centers complain that they are being forced to work in dangerous conditions, without proper equipment, that funerary services are showing up late to collect bodies and that protocols prohibit care home staff from touching them in order to prevent further contagion.

José Manuel Ramírez, president of the Association of Social Services Directors and Managers, called the minister’s statements “unfortunate” and “shameful.” “Workers are putting themselves on the line, without resources, without healthcare support, without protective gear,” he said, asking people not to “criminalize” employees who are acting “like heroes and heroines.”

Senior care homes have been at the center of numerous coronavirus outbreaks in Spain, and managers have long been complaining about a lack of human and material resources to deal with the situation.

Dozens of deaths

The Defense Ministry has confirmed that bodies were found at several senior residences. At many of these centers, some staff members had walked out on the job after coronavirus outbreaks were detected.

Last week it emerged that more than 100 elderly people have died at senior homes across the country, although there are no official government figures. The Health Ministry transfers queries to regional governments, and the Madrid region – the hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic – does not provide numbers, either.

Sources at the public agency Imserso, which is in charge of senior and social affairs, said that there may be isolated cases of overwhelmed senior centers, but insisted that most residences are functioning adequately despite a shortage of equipment and personnel, given that many workers have fallen ill themselves or have been quarantined.

Last weekend the army’s UME unit began rendering assistance to overburdened senior homes. The government said that any center that is unable to provide proper care has the obligation to inform regional and central authorities so that the UME can be dispatched to help with disinfection and other duties.

Following protocol

Healthcare sources said that bodies of deceased residents are normally taken to a refrigerated room where they remain in storage until they are collected by funerary services. When the death is thought to be caused by Covid-19, however, protocols prohibit workers from touching the body until funerary personnel show up with protective gear.

But the current overwhelming demand at Madrid’s funerary services means that up to 24 hours are elapsing between the time of death and the time of collection.

Two workers at a residence in the Madrid district of Usera told EL PAÍS that the UME walked in on Sunday morning to disinfect the premises, and found the body of a man who had died the day before. The corpse was still lying in bed in the man’s room. “He was there from early afternoon [on Saturday]. I arrived at night, and at 8am the next morning he was still there,” said José Manuel Martín-Lopi, who works the front desk at the senior home.

A nursing assistant who spoke on condition of anonymity said the body was collected at around 11.30am on Sunday. “Normally the process takes two hours, what with the paperwork and informing the family. In this case it wasn’t so,” said Martín-Lopi. A center spokeswoman said that the body could not be moved because it was thought it could be a source of contagion, and that protocol establishes that they had to wait for the funerary services.

On Monday, the UME also began transferring coronavirus victims from Madrid hospitals to a makeshift morgue that’s been set up at the Palacio del Hielo ice rink, the Defense Ministry has confirmed.
    https://english.elpais.com/society/2...ior-homes.html

20% of the 500 senior citizen homes in Madrid region have had outbreaks. Spain had 463 deaths yesterday alone.

Spain Just Opened a Massive Coronavirus Field Hospital in a Convention Center
    “We have yet to receive the impact of the strongest, most damaging wave, which will test our material and moral capacities to the limit, as well as our spirit as a society.”

by Tim Hume
    Mar 23 2020, 9:20pm

Only about a month ago, the IFEMA Convention Center in Madrid was swarming with attendees at a cybersecurity trade fair. Now the sprawling complex has been transformed into a massive coronavirus field hospital, as Spanish authorities race to respond to the world’s third-deadliest outbreak.

Hundreds of patients have been transferred since Sunday into makeshift hospital wards set up in the vast halls of the center, located in the northeast part of the Spanish capital. Health officials said Monday that the facility was now equipped to treat 1,300 patients this week — making it the largest hospital in Spain — and that they planned to scale up to 5,500 beds, including 500 for intensive care patients. That would make it one of the largest hospitals in the world.

Madrid is the epicenter of Spain’s outbreak, accounting for almost a third of the country’s 33,089 confirmed cases, and Spain has had more than 2,200 deaths, the world’s third-highest death toll after Italy (5,476) and China (3,153). Madrid's hospitals are being overwhelmed by the rapid influx of COVID-19 patients; video taken Friday night showed coronavirus patients lying on the floors of the emergency department of the city’s Infanta Leonor hospital as they waited for treatment.

The surging demand has forced authorities to take drastic measures to boost capacity. Last week, the government put all of Spain’s private health providers and their facilities under government control, and called up more than 50,000 workers to help the country’s health service, including retired doctors and nurses as well as medical students.

Besides the field hospital at IFEMA, officials in Madrid have converted two hotels into facilities for coronavirus patients with mild symptoms, such as those at the start and end of treatment. Forty hotels in the region have also offered the use of their buildings, and regional authorities say they plan to convert more of them into coronavirus facilities.

Photographs of IFEMA distributed by city authorities showed the first patients being brought in wheelchairs Sunday into the vast convention hall, containing scores of hospital beds laid out in rows.

“The truth is that it’s impressive,” tweeted Fernando Valls, a local doctor.

On Monday, the field hospital discharged its first patient, a man who had been admitted to another hospital on March 14. Isabel Diaz Ayuso, Madrid’s leader, tweeted a video of the masked patient leaving the field hospital to the applause of healthcare workers.

The Madrid-based El Mundo newspaper reported that patients in the makeshift hospital would be divided into four groups — with critical care beds, separate zones for patients with and without risk factors, and a “comfort” zone for less-affected patients. Officials plan to establish a laboratory and pharmacy in the complex, and they're urgently recruiting doctors and nurses, along with non-medical staff like security guards, to staff the new facility.

Antonio Zapatero, director of the field hospital, told El Mundo that he had been struck by the “spectacular, fast and exciting response” of health workers.

“Volunteer doctors and nurses keep coming in to roll up their sleeves and get to work on whatever it takes. The solidarity, dedication and professionalism of these people is absolutely spectacular,” he said.

A nurse at Infanta Leonor hospital, which was overwhelmed by a surge of emergency patients Friday night, told El Mundo that the situation had improved by Sunday, partly as a result of the transfer of cases to Ifema.

Spain has been in lockdown since 14 March, with people allowed out only to buy food or medicine, seek medical help, or travel to work.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez warned Sunday that the country was yet to experience the peak of the crisis and told citizens to prepare for “very hard days ahead.”

“The worst is yet to come,” he said. “We have yet to receive the impact of the strongest, most damaging wave, which will test our material and moral capacities to the limit, as well as our spirit as a society.”

The Spanish health ministry's emergencies coordinator, Fernando Simon, told a news conference that health workers accounted for more than 10 percent of all confirmed cases adding to the strain on the overburdened hospitals.

“This is a significant problem for our health care system,” he said.
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...vention-center
    Last edited by kato; 24 Mar 20,, 11:30.

Comment

• DE, Swiggy has centralised cloud kitchen of their own, don't know about Zomato. Maybe, Zomato has their own too. Try ordering food on those apps, cancel before payment. Just check and see.
      Last edited by Oracle; 24 Mar 20,, 14:00.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	TOI.png
Views:	2
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1478707

^ Last three trains to arrive in Assam from other states today

Assam evacuates hospitals to make them solely Covid-19 treatment facility
        Last edited by Oracle; 24 Mar 20,, 13:08.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• How Taiwan and Singapore managed to contain COVID-19, while letting normal life go on | National Post | Mar 20 2020

Canada should look to Taiwan and Singapore for guidance, says Dr. Jeff Kwong, a Toronto family physician and public-health professor at the University of Toronto.

It’s not too late to implement some of these things,” he said. “This is going to be going on for months … There’s always value from learning from others who’ve had success.”

Comment

• 21 days lockdown in the whole of India, from midnight tonight.

Comment

• Narendra Modi speech highlights: PM announces 21-day lockdown across India from midnight | TOI | Mar 24 2020

A proactive step. This is what has been lacking with govts elsewhere.

* Coronavirus affected the first 100,000 people in 67 days, but the next 100,000 in just 11 days

* The next 100,000 were infected in just 4 days

* This is enough to understand the rapidity with which this spreads

* Italy, US with better healthcare infrastructure have struggled to cope with the outbreak

* We need to learn from countries that have somewhat successfully mitigated the crisis

* These countries were able to stem the spread with strict lockdown
              We sense R0 might go over two. Meaning one person might infect more than two.

This is an attempt to bring R0 back down to two

R0 of two means infected doubles ever week.

It's not clear as to whether we can step out or not for groceries & the like.

I had a feeling that the present lock down would extend beyond month's end.

As we found out its now until Apr 15
              Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Mar 20,, 17:08.

Comment

• ^ I too had this feeling that this lockdown would extend more than the March 31st deadline, in Assam, even though no +ve cases were identified. Luckily I got some veggies yesterday. Today people who went to the market to buy veggies, were caned by the police. People who were selling veggies were also caned. A friend came over, he too was questioned by the Police.

Modi didn't spell out whether grocery shops would remain open. Grocery is not among essential items, as per the essential items act. When I heard 21 days, I immediately ran out and bought ciggis to stock them for the 21 days, and also eggs and milk powder.

Man, only if meat shops were open for 2 hours. Such a disgrace. I read in newspapers today, that people who came from abroad and were quarantined, were flouting norms, going to malls, visiting pubs, thereby spreading the virus.

I am not in panic. And yes, I'm in panic because I have meat that will last me 2 days only. I have booze that will last me another 3 days. And no woman.

Colonel, your views please.

Comment

• Oh, meat and fish will be available. Let's see tomorrow morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEA.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1478708

21-day lockdown: MHA guidelines for essential service providers

I went to the ATM near my home in the evening. It had no cash. Hope they replenish it by tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    People who were selling veggies were also caned.
                    First fines for shop owners who illegally opened their stores here (and were closed down by police) have been published - as a warning to others. If i get it right they measured it out exactly such that the people would not be registered as criminals. Including payment to the city effective fines are 19,600-22,000 Euro, or 16-18 lakh in Indian rupees, current exchange rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      Read somewhere that perhaps one of the reasons Italy has so many deaths proportionate to the number of known cases, is the tendency for family members of multiple generations to live with one another. Seems to make sense as far as explaining the Italian death toll. A quick Google search brought up a statistic that 67% of Italians aged 18-34 live with their parents. This article from the Guardian says that 25.3% of Italians age 30-44 live with their mothers, along with 11.8% of those age 45-64.
                      Check this out. There is more to it

The one who wants to send the Police with flamethrower is Vincenzo De Luca. In Italy he is called "The sheriff", you can imagine why.

I have seen videos from nurses of Iran, Spain & Belfast

One message

Same message

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Luckily I got some veggies yesterday. Today people who went to the market to buy veggies, were caned by the police. People who were selling veggies were also caned. A friend came over, he too was questioned by the Police.
                      I thought Italians were direct but your guys get to the point sooner : D

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Not a single case here, but the Government isn't taking any risk.
                      What matters is how well they contain when cases arise. All contacts traced, all quarantined. People in quarantine obey the quarantine. If you can catch all contacts or 90% of them you will remain at Stage 1. The trouble is have to be over 90%, otherwise you move to stage 2.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Mar 20,, 01:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                        First fines for shop owners who illegally opened their stores here (and were closed down by police) have been published - as a warning to others. If i get it right they measured it out exactly such that the people would not be registered as criminals. Including payment to the city effective fines are 19,600-22,000 Euro, or 16-18 lakh in Indian rupees, current exchange rate.
                        That's a lot of fine, but I guess some people understand only when taught the hard way.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        I thought Italians were direct but your guys get to the point sooner : D
                        Some people learn only when caned. Lol.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        What matters is how well they contain when cases arise. All contacts traced, all quarantined. People in quarantine obey the quarantine. If you can catch all contacts or 90% of them you will remain at Stage 1. The trouble is have to be over 90%, otherwise you move to stage 2.
                        Yep. That's about it.

Comment

• Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse from the UK govt, they end up doing the same thing as Modi, on the same day for the same duration. They're getting their 21 in as well

Despite the behaviour of the govt in the UK, the number of cases remain low (comparatively) yet their testing is high.

UK will not end up like Italy. That is if their people obey the rules.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Mar 20,, 02:35.

Comment

• It seems fish/meat/vegetable markets, to remain open, is on state governments. I doubt fish/meat markets will open before the lockdown ends. Vegetables maybe, but not today.

Comment

• Now we have our own test kits

Private hospitals to treat Covid—19 from tomorrow | ET | Mar 25 2020

After a surge of Covid-19 cases in India and a possible threat of community transmission, the government has roped in private hospitals and directed them to begin admissions. So far, the private healthcare institutions were only required to collect throat swab samples for suspected Covid-19 patients and advise them to home quarantine while awaiting test results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                There was this guy studying medicine in China, who returned, and his father hid him in the house. Neighbours came to know of this, and complained to police. The police after much hassle arrested the guy and put him into quarantine in hospital. His father was suspended from his government job. Suspended, not terminated. Such idiots we have in this country.

Hiding his son will save him if he is infected? These are the semi-educated idiots I want to punch in the face.

The father, of a family, who lives on rent on our house says what would the father had done, people look at this disease with shameful eyes etcetera. Gave him a piece of my mind. My parents are over 70, they are the most vulnerable. If there's a single case here, I am going to lock the main gates. No more going out for anybody, including me. Again, I am not in panic, but I will not lose either of my parents because some idiot brought the virus to my home. My house, my rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X