Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to lighten it up a little...

Originally posted by The_Desert_Sun_News
    Coronavirus in California: Yes, a few people are calling 911 to report coughing neighbors

16 March 2020
    The Desert Sun News

Neighbors calling 911 to report hearing loud coughing next door?

It's happening.

(continued below)

(continued from above)

As the number of those with the coronavirus grows locally — Riverside County announced its 15th case on Monday and San Bernardino County confirmed its first case on Sunday — some Coachella Valley police departments say they've started fielding 911 reports from concerned callers convinced a neighbor's overly loud sneeze or hacking cough is proof the person has the virus.

Palm Springs police estimate dispatchers had about five of these calls last week, Sgt. Mike Casavan said.

Cathedral City police Cmdr. Paul Herrera said dispatchers with his department, who also handle 911 calls from the neighboring city of Desert Hot Springs, fielded similar calls.

In many cases, the calls are forwarded to the fire department where paramedics are also dispatched to directly provide any needed medical attention before transporting the person to an area hospital.

That it takes a lab test to determine whether a person is actually positive for the virus doesn't matter. The concern is real and each call, no matter how infrequent, is a request for help that law enforcement personnel must take seriously and handle professionally.

Authorities say they can't ignore such calls or discount them as paranoia, hypochondria or fakery. They must respond even when every other public entity adopts "social distancing" in order to reduce possible coronavirus transmission.

Taking precautions and controlling transmission
    California Peace Officers Association President Neil Gallucci, who is also chief of the Carlsbad (Calif.) Police Department, said he hopes to head off worst-case scenarios, such as a first-responder becoming infected by a patient and then spreading the coronavirus to other first-responders.

“If that happens enough, we worry about calls for service,” Gallucci said. ”We’re prepared to deal with issues that come up, but it’s a concern chiefs worry about.”

He said it is an unlikely occurrence, though, as police officers have historically been trained to maintain sanitary conditions. The outbreak has simply made them more vigilant, he said.

Locally, even before the first Coachella Valley coronavirus case was diagnosed, emergency personnel say they anticipated there would be some level of fear and heightened concern among the general public.

Cathedral City dispatchers were instructed to ask callers if they or the person they were calling about had recently returned from a trip abroad, where coronavirus outbreaks were first reported.

But, as the pandemic's spread continued the questions were changed, Herrera said. They now ask if the person has had any contact with someone who has tested positive.

Police must protect themselves, too
    Ultimately, valley police say each call is treated like any other medical emergency, although, officers are now following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines to protect not only the public, but themselves from any possible transmission of the illness.

And they're having to figure out how to continue to serve and protect when it's becoming increasingly clear that in order to protect others and themselves they have to reduce actual face-to-face interactions.

"It's necessary," Casavan said. "It's not overwhelming, but we're taking precautions."

Palm Springs police officers have added hand sanitizer, gloves and medical face masks to the regular complement of equipment they carry every day. They also carry extra masks and gloves for anyone they might encounter who is exhibiting flu-like symptoms.

Casavan said the Palm Springs police station is cleaned daily and sanitizing wipes are now available throughout the building.

"Safety of officers is priority, they've been given a number of updates, we're following CDC guidelines," Herrera said, adding that Cathedral City police officers now carry infection control kits.

"These kits contain sanitary towels, N95 flat-fold masks, latex gloves, safety glasses, biohazard bags — basic infectious control items," he said. "We use the bags to pick up everything from an incident site, everything that comes after contact. We're not leaving it.

Carol Leveroni, CPOA executive director, said law enforcement personnel across the state are so concerned about controlling the spread of the virus that some agencies have gone as far as issuing travel bans to staff.

In the Riverside County Sheriff's Department where at least one employee has been under self-quarantine since March 6, sheriff's deputies have been advised to take precautions at their own discretion, which include carrying hand sanitizer and wearing gloves during arrests, Deputy Robyn Flores, a department spokeswoman, said.

Sheriff Chad Bianco has declined to say what the self-quarantined employee does within the department or where she is stationed, but he did say.the woman is doing well.

"I wouldn't say (the department is) panicking, but we are preparing (for coronavirus)," he told local leaders during a Coachella Valley Association of Governments meeting on March 9. He added the employee opted to isolate herself after returning from a week's vacation in Italy, where — as of Monday — more than 1,440 people have been tested positive for the coronavirus.

"If we're getting calls form people who report they have symptoms, we'll automatically forward them to the fire department for medical aid," Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Albert Martinez said, adding that deputy safety is a concern.

"We're following directions from the county and working closely with public health to support them," Martinez said. "We're treating everything like we would if it was the flu. We are telling our employees to wash hands, be careful."

Indio police spokesman Ben Guitron said officers with that department have also been equipped with hand sanitizer and latex gloves.

"We deal with ill people all the time," he said. "All of the safety measures are already in place ... We've warned everyone on our staff to be careful, anyone from the frontline officer to detectives and records staff, every part of our department."

Indio police Assistant Chief Christopher Shaefer added that his department's goal is to keep "our workforce healthy in spite of everything going on around them. We have to maintain continuity of service to our community. We've provided (officers) with the CDC's coronavirus quick reference guide — maintain good social distance, that kind of thing."

Limiting non-emergency public access to police departments
    On Saturday, Palm Springs City Manager David Ready declared a local emergency that included a decision to limit public access to City Hall, which involves city staff helping members of the public mainly by phone or email.

While, the declaration did not limit public access to the city's police department, valley law enforcement say they had already anticipated that "social distancing" would become critical to curbing the illnesses spread.

Shaefer said he recognizes that at some point police departments might need to close their lobbies, but Indio isn't anywhere near that point at the moment.

"We've got plans in place if it comes to that level of precaution," he said. " Until then, the lobby is open and we're working like normal."

In Desert Hot Springs, police Chief Jim Henson said his department is bolstering its website in order to serve residents who don't need direct contact with an officer.

"What we've been trying to do is keep the website updated so people know that they can report to us remotely. They can call in when there's no need to collect physical evidence," Hanson said. "We're trying to give residents as many opportunities as possible to report remotely from their homes."

Last edited by JRT; 19 Mar 20,, 04:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      It's really scary to think of what might happen, if shit hits the fan here in India.
      You know what scares me. The way the UK is carrying on. Singapore blocked flights with the UK because their govt concluded the UK has abandoned attempts to contain the virus. We've followed suit too.

Trump blocks Europe but allows the UK. He should have blocked UK right after Italy.

If i were in Europe right now there would be a lock down.

Look at the US, you'd think they got their shit down pat. Have they ?

In which country would you be better off ? i don't know.

Maybe set sail on a boat for the next few months for the ultimate in self-isolation.

Because safe isn't on land where there are people around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        You know what scares me. The way the UK is carrying on. Singapore blocked flights with the UK because their govt concluded the UK has abandoned attempts to contain the virus. We've followed suit too.

Trump blocks Europe but allows the UK. He should have blocked UK right after Italy.

If i were in Europe right now there would be a lock down.

Look at the US, you'd think they got their shit down pat. Have they ?

In which country would you be better off ? i don't know.

Maybe set sail on a boat for the next few months for the ultimate in self-isolation.

Trump blocked UK and Ireland (IIRC) thereafter. Right, as you say, land is not safe at all. Snapper has a yacht. Maybe I should talk to her.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• WHO's active live map of COVID-19 at the link below

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

Comment

I read that the US included the UK and the Republic of Ireland soon after.

Comment

• a day or two after, IIRC.

that's the -easy- stuff, though. the CDC and the administration as a whole should have spent January and February massively cranking out tests and personal protective equipment.

given stories about hospital workers MAKING THEIR OWN GODDAM MASKS, that should enrage everyone about the basic competence of this administration!
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Not you too. Safe is not being stupid. I just had breakfast with 4 other people (2 of them police on break) on an outside table. We were less than a metre away from each other. None of us wore masks but none of us were sick. We had our coffees and our breakfast sandwiches. We were all former military sharing war stories. One was knee deep in cow piss. One had used a manure pile as cover. None of us have or ever had COVID-19. How do we know this? 690 confirmed cases in Canada out of a population of 27 million. Doing the math should tell you the odds of 4 healthy males in rural Ontario having it.

Afterwards, we cleaned up our mess because Tim Horton staff isn't going to do it and then went to wash our hands.
                Chimo

Comment

• Not you too. Safe is not being stupid. I just had breakfast with 4 other people (2 of them police on break) on an outside table. We were less than a metre away from each other. None of us wore masks but none of us were sick. We had our coffees and our breakfast sandwiches. We were all former military sharing war stories. One was knee deep in cow piss. One had used a manure pile as cover. None of us have or ever had COVID-19. How do we know this? 690 confirmed cases in Canada out of a population of 27 million. Doing the math should tell you the odds of 4 healthy males in rural Ontario having it.

Afterwards, we cleaned up our mess because Tim Horton staff isn't going to do it and then went to wash our hands.
                  in any case, given the contagion it's likely almost everyone on earth will be subject to it at some point in time. that's just the pure mathematics of it.

this whole social distancing, 6 feet away stuff -- the primary purpose is merely to give enough space and time for the hospitals to provide care to the vulnerable high-risk population.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    I read that the US included the UK and the Republic of Ireland soon after.
                    Snapper, can I come aboard your yacht? Never been on a yacht before. Can we fish, do you have fishing rods on the Yacht? I don't know how to swim, I guess life jackets are there if a shark attacks us like in the movies. Can we also make space for the Colonel and Joe and DE, and most members of WAB. I do hope, you store booze, or I can bring in some. From your yacht, we all can witness the end of days. No more Trump for Joe, no more Pak sponsored terrorism for me, no more educating us for the Colonel.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 19 Mar 20,, 16:09.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      in any case, given the contagion it's likely almost everyone on earth will be subject to it at some point in time. that's just the pure mathematics of it.
                      I never had the Spanish Flu/H1N1. Did you? Not even the vacine for it.

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      this whole social distancing, 6 feet away stuff -- the primary purpose is merely to give enough space and time for the hospitals to provide care to the vulnerable high-risk population.
                      Which includes me. Remember, I'm a dinosaur. This breakfast group had piss and shit in our mouths and not by choice. But we're not stupid enough not to be aware of the dangers involved. Keywords. Danger Involved. For us this morning at our breakfast table, the danger was extremely low. We trust ourselves to stay away from sick people and to stay away from people when we're sick (that's just common courtesy on our part). Part of NBC training, never take off your protective gear until you're in the clear. That's not only to protect yourselves but also those around you if you're contaminated and you isolate the contamination to yourself.

In short, don't do anything stupid for yourself or those around you.
                      Chimo

Comment

But I never had SARS, or H1N1. Maybe you mean in the future, when vaccines will be readily available. If a contagion spreads to every person on earth, that will be like zombie apocalypse.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                        In short, don't do anything stupid for yourself or those around you.
                        This is a lesson for me. It was stupid of me to hold my mom when I didn't even know if I had the Coronavirus or common cold. Now I know, it was common cold.

Comment

I was listening to a virologist yesterday and she estimates at least 50% of Indians have had swine flu. Nobody cares because they have no symptoms. I found the number mind boggling.

She also said she was very hopeful of a vaccine coming out sooner than expected. There are over 50k people recovered from COVID-19. They did that because their immune systems developed anti-bodies to this virus. Those anti-bodies have already found vulnerabilities in this virus. They will be studied and a better than nature's way will be engineered into a vaccine.

This virus came to light in Dec. We're in March. There are already 30 candidate vaccines around the world waiting for testing. She thinks at least one might be ready by June.

Promising candidates are the company Moderna in the US has one ready and there is another by the Uni of Queensland in Oz.

This will keep droplets away. Aerosols are also possible and that happens in the air conditioned offices that circulate air. One person can infect many.

Offices in Bangalore told people working in such environments to work from home. Up to the companies to allow their staff to do so. Not all can.

Comment

Snapper, can I come aboard your yacht? Never been on a yacht before. Can we fish, do you have fishing rods on the Yacht? I don't know how to swim, I guess life jackets are there if a shark attacks us like in the movies. Can we also make space for the Colonel and Joe and DE, and most members of WAB. I do hope, you store booze, or I can bring in some. From your yacht, we all can witness the end of days. No more Trump for Joe, no more Pak sponsored terrorism for me, no more educating us for the Colonel.
                            No thank you. I did my share of a crying and puking baby. I ain't going to be stuck on a boat smaller than a bachelor apartment with someone else's unwashed diapers.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                              No thank you. I did my share of a crying and puking baby. I ain't going to be stuck on a boat smaller than a bachelor apartment with someone else's unwashed diapers.
                              Cut the nose to spite the face? I'd kidnap you and put you on that yacht. Everybody needs you. Now, go on, curse me. I don't care.

Comment

Cut the nose to spite the face? I'd kidnap you and put you on that yacht. Everybody needs you. Now, go on, curse me. I don't care.
                                Yeah, I will go for a swim before you get out of the harbour. I ain't going to be stuck changing diapers again.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X