Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As China eyes Arunachal Pradesh, is Delhi napping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As China eyes Arunachal Pradesh, is Delhi napping?

The recent denial of visa by Beijing to an IAS officer from Arunachal Pradesh has stirred a hornet’s nest. So is all this talk of Sino-Indian détente mere brouhaha? Is China resorting to gimmickry or there is more than what meets the eye?

THE RECENT DECISION of the Chinese government to deny visa to an IAS officer from Arunachal Pradesh who was part of a delegation of 107 IAS officers scheduled to leave on a study tour to Beijing and Shanghai has once again brought the vexed Sino-Indian border issue to the forefront. The government, smarting from the Chinese move, swiftly called off the proposed visit. What added insult to the injury was that the proposed visit was chalked out at the behest of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Beijing’s constant refrain that Arunachal Pradesh is a part of China has ruffled many a feather in India’s officialdom and the general public. China covets Arunachal Pradesh due to its strategic location, huge hydroelectric power potential and mineral resources which can help China meet its ravenous hunger for energy. It would be pertinent to note here that Northeast India is connected to the mainland by a tenuous chicken’s neck corridor near Siliguri in West Bengal and any control over Arunachal Pradesh would give China the opportunity to cut-off this area from India at its beck and call. Many of the Northeastern states are battling the fires of militancy and ethnic clashes and China would be only too happy to add fuel to the fire.
    http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=125260[/URL]

talk about solving border dispute
    any thought guys

Not napping.

Merely wimpish!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The future does'nt seem bright for Sino-Indian relations.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaguar View Post

China covets Arunachal Pradesh due to its strategic location, huge hydroelectric power potential and mineral resources which can help China meet its ravenous hunger for energy[/URL]

talk about solving border dispute
        any thought guys

ridiculouse report.
        it is only a border dispute both side have their own opinion, not chinese greed.
        the reporter is deliberately misleading people unkown to history of the border dispute. it will increase the mistrust of people of both china and india.

Comment

Heh, just like how my country is a province of yours?
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguar View Post
            The recent denial of visa by Beijing to an IAS officer from Arunachal Pradesh has stirred a hornet’s nest. So is all this talk of Sino-Indian détente mere brouhaha? Is China resorting to gimmickry or there is more than what meets the eye?
            India responded in kind by cancelling the visit of all the IAS officers.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              Not napping.

Merely wimpish!
              Perhaps a napping Tiger, Brigadier Tit-for-Tat is sure to follow

Comment

Actually, the Western powers could claim Shanghai as a part of their countries.

Is Inner Mongolia which is with China a part of Mongolia?

Tibet and Xinjiang for sure is not a part of China.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Perhaps a napping Tiger, Brigadier Tit-for-Tat is sure to follow
                  I sure hope so.

I am fed up to the gills with the namby pamby attitude of successive Indian govts. I am not an advocate of peace at all costs.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by lmsfrd View Post
                    ridiculouse report.
                    it is only a border dispute both side have their own opinion, not chinese greed.
                    the reporter is deliberately misleading people unkown to history of the border dispute. it will increase the mistrust of people of both china and india.
                    China is nibbling at all borders. If that is not greed, then what is it?

I have no cribs about any mistrust that it may cause. If it does, so be it.

In fact, the Chinese contention would be ideal for Pakistan to claim the whole of India as theirs!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Inspite of all these claims on AP, what exactly can China do to change status quo. So China doesn't grant visa to a native from AP, big deal. We don't need collaboration from Chinese to learn of their "success"...

I am happy about this incident as the Indian Commies are in a spot now.....
                      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

India wants strongest ties with China, PM to Hu
                        India wants strongest ties with China, PM to Hu
                        Berlin, June 7: Describing China as India's ‘greatest neighbour’, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said New Delhi wanted the ‘strongest relationship’ with Beijing and would do ‘everything possible’ to cement the ties as he met President Hu Jintao.

During their 30-minute meeting here on the sidelines of G-8 Summit, Hu hailed Singh's ‘insight and vision’, saying it had helped bilateral relations in ‘most impressive way’.

Meeting for the second time in seven months, the two leaders reviewed the status of bilateral ties, particularly progress on implementation of 10-point strategy agreed upon last November to boost the relations.

"Our government and people, regardless of their political affiliations, want strongest relationship with China," Singh told Hu.

He told Hu that India considers China as ‘our greatest neighbour’ and ‘it will be our endeavour to do everything possible to cement our relationship’.

Referring to the 10-point strategy firmed up during Hu's visit to India in November last, Singh said its implementation is going on very well.

The two neighbours had decided to venture on the strategy to boost their comprehensive ties in commercial, political and strategic areas.

As part of the programme, the world's two fastest growing economies agreed to enhance two-way investments to achieve the bilateral trade target of 40 billion US dollars (approx Rs 1,80,000 crore) by 2010, double than the present level.
                        Seems like Manmohan is following the appeasement route after screwing up on the IAS Officers affair. I assume he is being polite to HuJintao but it is ridiculous especially after the ultimatum we made to Srilanka and the IAS Officers goofup....
                        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Why do we even bother dealing with China? Its not even worth it. In my opinion, we should put a self embargo in even trading with the commie party. Nehru already tried that Indo-Chin bhai bhai BS; and we got a Chinese invasion in return. And now, the "string of pearls" strategy China is using to encircle India? Heck, we should do the same by expanding ties and allying with Taiwan and Japan; what goes around should defenitely come around!
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

soo much Chanakyan-ism ;)

Comment

Polite or wimpish?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X