Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New US 25mm Sniper rifle from Barret

http://www.barrettrifles.com/military/xm109.htm

PS- it's not really a sniper rifle. More like a plt level HW in a mechanized force.

Yah, I read about that a few months ago. Very effective at assaulting buildings I might imagine.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=286
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004arms/session6/gates.ppt
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004arms/session6/lee.ppt
    Last edited by Praxus; 16 Aug 04,, 02:46.

Comment

It's more to give infantry a better anti-light armor capability, and to a much greater range than presently.

With the right ammo selection, it would have a lot of uses, but it's size and weight really limit it to a mechanized force role.

Comment

Perfect infantry weapon for knocking out pesky North Korean tanks. Why waste a perfectly good Javalin on a POS;)

Comment

That's a burly yet quite purdy gun :)
          They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Comment

Tanks would be out of this weapons engagement parameters...probably.

That is not a 25mm NATO cartridge, but looks more like the OCSW 25mm grenades. With the right 'smart' ammunition(or just HE), this would be an excellent platoon level support asset.

Comment

I mean old T-34's.

Comment

The 25mm NATO can actually penetrate the armor of some modern MBTs....including the M-1A1HA....from certain aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  The 25mm NATO can actually penetrate the armor of some modern MBTs....including the M-1A1HA....from certain aspects.
                  Modern MBTs? kinda doubt that. M1A1? not even with good luck and what parts of armor do you mean, there is no such location in M1A1 that a 25mm "shorty" could penetrate if the abrams can survive RPG-7 attack from sides. Even the ancient T-34 would be immune to that 25mm, come think of it not even the 50mm german ww2 age ATgun could do much damage to it.

Comment

An M-1 during OIF got taken out by a Bradley's 25mm.

Bradley 25mm fire was responsible for several T-72 kills during both ODS and OIF.

There's a link to the story in one of the tank threads on the land warfare board, with quotes from the USAIO that wrote up all the AARs for ODS.

Comment

A 25mm may not be able To "kill" an MBT but it can destroy optics gunsights, and break a track, also anyone riding out of the turret would be in a lot of trouble.

I found this, It' a recoiless 25mm used by CROAT forces to take out night vision and search lights on tanks that were being used to monitor their movements. It fires a full sized round and exhaust gasses are used to counter recoil.

But I think the Barret is a much more portable and practical weapon.

Dragoon

Attached Files
                      Yes..,You have the right To Speak, however I have the right not to listen

Comment

The 25mm will penetrate into the engine compartment in most MBTs, even the very best of them if fired through the grill. The turret ring on the T-72 has been penetrated by 25mm fire in actual combat, as have some areas of the T-72s flank armor. Bradleys have killed T-72s with their 25mm cannon in two different wars. Far more than enough evidence that it can be done for me to dispute it.

Comment

It still doesn't explain how could that barret 25x59mm round go through anything but soft vechiles, C'mon the bradleys fired saboted DU penetrators with shell lenght of nearly 200mm ( wild guess ) and muzzle velocity probably near 1500m/s surely it will penetrate T-72 at certain points but that barret round has much lower velocity therefor lesser penetration power. Perhaps Its true that 25x59mm can take out MBTs but Im having hard time believing it

Comment

Well I think I read somewhere that the armor design, or patterning of the T-72 is defective, and didn't deliver the invincibility that the Russians wanted. It's a cheap tank to produce and because of that, it was widely manfactured as well as given to countries such as North Korea.
                            Last edited by metalbeast; 01 Nov 04,, 09:02.

Comment

What about mounting this beast on a vehicle like a Hummvee or a Stryker to give it the ability to engage long range, light armored threats?

Comment

Working...
                              X