Update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update.

Well, it's been a while since I've been able to update this thing, so here goes: I've been doing a whole bunch of crazy and intensive training in the past month or so which is split up into weeks:

I did drilling week (in reality a week and a half), which is where we went through all the different types of drills and situations we would encounter in our tank, among them when one of the treads falls off, fire in the turret/engine compartment, camaflouge, injured crew member, and disembarking from the tank and attacking on foot. Needless to say, it was crazy fun, and I got through almost the whole week until the day of the test when during one of the drills my finger got crushed between a big metallic object (the tank) and a piece of metal attached to it by a spring. Painful, to say the least. But after a hole being poked in the nail and a couple-three days recuperation, I'm all better. The finger still hurts, and the nail still has a hole in it, but I can function.

Then we did Crew Member Week, whish is where each different crew member starts showing his stuff and we start working together as a team. For me that meant doing a whole lot of simulated shooting, and then semi-real shooting (I'll explain in a sec...) I did day shooting, night shooting, shooting in motion, I shot the coaxle MaG and the commanders MaG and the 60mm mortar we have in the tank. I also shot the 0.5 which they put on my tank. Only one in three tanks get one, and I'm one of them. Lemme tell you, shooting a target straight through the eyes at 1500 meters is something that is hard to beat. Eat your heart out, Snipe... The last time I drilled shooting in motion with live ammo, my commander intentionally screwed up my fire control system, so I had to do it the old way, without computer tracking or any other fancy gizmo's. It was literally one of the hardest things I've done, but in the end I hit my target, and that's all that matters, isn't it?

Now for the semi-real shooting. The thing about having a tank with a 120mm gun, is that it's kinda hard to practice. During my advanced training I'm gonna shoot a total of 12 live rounds. Now, usually, before every drill we practice it on "dry", no ammo. Back in the old days, when my Brigade still used M48/M60's, they used a 0.5 to gauge hits and stuff like that. Problem was, it wasn't too accurate. So somebody came up with the bright idea of building a mini-cannon which fits in the big cannon. Once this mini-cannon is inserted, you can fire 20mm rounds, like fired from the M61A1. It's a safe, accuarate way to practice, and you get the feeling for really shooting.

I'm home for the weekend, and next week we do Basic Week, which is where we do actual Courses, now that each crew member has shown they know what it is they're doing.

That's all for now. I'll write again when I can.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Did you get my e-mail about your current mailing address? You may have some mail inbound soon, and ironically..not knowing for sure where to send it may delay me.

Comment

Working...
    X